Why heavy armament doesn't beat numbers

Post your epic water war tale!
Night Shadow

Why heavy armament doesn't beat numbers

Post by Night Shadow » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:47 am

I got together with 2 of my friends, so it'd be a 3 player game. We played a cops and robbers game 3 rounds, and here's how they went. This was probably the most hardcore game I ever played, and I doubt I'll ever play like this again.

I'm the robber, and I just robbed the gun shop. In my duffel bag over my shoulder I have 2 small guns and a medium one. Unfortunately because of my own stupidity I forgot to fill any of them except the large one I was carrying in my arms.

I chose a spot conveniently between 2 bushes, to give me as much cover as possible. I knew they were going to attack me from the sides not covered by the bushes. What I didn't know was that they'd attack me from 2 sides.

When they started moving in from 2 sides I started pumping and shooting. I did it robotic while they kept moving in. Pump, shoot, spin around, pump, shoot, spin around, until they got close enough to accurately hit me. Few of my streams actually hit them. What I was doing was more intimidation than actually trying to hit them. Then one of my friends hid on the other side of one of the bushes I was hiding behind, so I almost emptied the tank into the bush, not getting a single drop on him, until I felt something from behind, then I spun around and sprayed in all directions hoping I'd hit him. Then I ran out of water and lost because I forgot to fill the guns in the bag.

I have the feeling that even if I filled all the guns, I would have lost anyway. You're at a big disadvantage if you have to constantly spin around to fire at your enemies. The other thing was that I was too busy spinning and shooting that I didn't have time to aim properly. Basically I just sprayed in their general direction and hoped to get lucky. All in all, it teaches a lesson that weapons don't beat numbers. Don't try to be an army of one. You'll get drenched.

cantab

Re: Why heavy armament doesn't beat numbers

Post by cantab » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 am

I think you might have done better if you'd been dual wielding. That way you could have held off both directions, at least enough to be able to withdraw to a stronger defensive position. Numbers gives an advantage, but 2 vs 1 isn't that extreme, and even single wielding, the higher-ranging CPSes should be able to hold off two XP (class) users.

Basically, I think everything matters. Skill, weaponry, and numbers are all similarly important, and advantages in one can be countered by advantages in another.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, you'll definitely had to reposition yourself. I've won with a CPS 4100 against two people with XP-level blasters. Basically you have to keep moving so that you don't get surrounded. It takes two points (enemies) to make a line...if you're along that line and not in between them, then you only engage one at a time.

Of course, that's easier said than done. :rolleyes:

Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:13 am

Yeah I guess the way you fight has a lot to do with it. Being in the middle of 2 foes is probably one of the worst positions, but that's exactly what I was in. And since I was barely skilled at all, I didn't even shoot to hit. I just sprayed in their general direction and hoped to get lucky, which isn't going to win many water fights. The problem was that if I retreated, I'd get closer to one or the other, and that meant it'd be easier for them to get me. Well, the battle taught me an important lesson in tactics. Don't try to hold your spot if you're being hit from 2 sides.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:20 am

If you're between two foes, you ought to be able to retreat along the bisector.

In any case, getting closer to one is getting further from the other. And the maxim "If the enemy is in range, so are you" applies - Getting closer to one might have helped you kill them.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Don't worry about aim...I tend to fire off a couple warning shots instead of shots meant to kill, in most cases. And cantab does bring up a good point. If you charge one enemy, then it becomes a one-on-one fight, and you don't even need to circle. Then it's luck, elevation, dodging, and a good water gun that make the difference.