Need A Low Cost Pump Built

Advertisments by potential buyers. Post here if you're looking for a soaker.
EnquiringMind

Need A Low Cost Pump Built

Post by EnquiringMind » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm not looking for a whole gun, but I come looking for someone who can build me a somewhat low cost "force" pump, perhaps a piston pump or diaphragm or whatever would work for what I need.

The "force" is moving vertical, and 2 check valves (incoming and outgoing) would be needed.

If I like the first one, I may ask you to build me a bunch more.

I figured someone on this board might be able to help.

adronl

Re: Need A Low Cost Pump Built

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:07 am

Have you thought of getting a small bicycle pump for cheap. If not carlton makes expanding couplings that work well you can find them at lowes. If you want a larger one you could make one with some parts from mcmaster I have plans for a 1 1/2" pump and a dual stage pump. I am currently building the dual stage but it would be hard to talk me out of it.

http://forums.sscentral.org/t5720/

EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 am

Ok... I have never built one of these..... but I see where you are going.

I was not aware of those expanding couplings.

Still.... I will probably be better off having someone build the first one, at least. I have never done this.

My only requirement is that the 2 check valves be at the same level (at the top of the cylinder, opposing each other), and I can have a stroke length of about 1 foot.... but it's adjustable.
Last edited by EnquiringMind on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 am

What kind of size did you want? What kind of volume? What kind of gun is it for? How much are you willing to pay including shipping?
Last edited by adronl on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:28 am

It's not for a gun. Something totally different.
I just can't seem to find any prefabricated ones that don't cost a fortune. They either pump tiny quantities of liquid per stroke... or they cost a fortune.

I came here because you guys are creative and seem to find cheaper solutions to get the job done.

Here is basically what I want....
http://www.lcresources.com/resources/getstart/pump.gif

Just turn picture 90 degrees so the piston is moving up and down. Forget the cam.

It would be nice if I could pump out 1/2 a gallon or more of liquid PER STROKE, using about a 1 foot stroke of the piston.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:39 am

A 4" diameter pump 12" long has a volume of .65 gallons. To build said pump I would suggest 1x 4" piston cup from mcmaster carr, 1x 4-2" bushing, 1x 2-3/4" bushing, 2x 3/4" check valves, 1x 3/4" T, 1x 4" PVC tubing, 1x 2" PVC tubing, 1x 3/4 PVC tubing, 1x 2" cap 1x 4" coupler, 1x 4-2 reducing bell coupling, 1x piece of 1/2" all thread, 1x large fenderwasher, 1x large rubber fenderwasher, 2x 1/2"nuts, 1x 2" coupling, and 1x 2"plug . Those are all the parts and the expensive ones are the check valves at $7 a piece & the piston cup around 12 (after shipping). So after all the other parts and time it would probably cost around give or take? $40

This is to your specs to pump half a gallon or more in one pump it would probably weigh about 10lbs but would ship in a box about 18x6/6 so shipping wouldn't be too bad probably around $15 or more.
Last edited by adronl on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:17 am

That sounds great to me. It doesn't have to be a 12 inch stroke if you don't want it to be.... I'm just saying I can provide that long a stroke if needed. If you want to make it shorter and wider, to get the same type of work done.... that is fine with me if it's a better design for you.

Otherwise, I'd like to get what you just specified.

I could paypal you the money.... whatever you want to do.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:23 am

Let me figure out exactly how much it will cost and I can get it done one problem are you willing to wait a week or 2 I'll order the part I need offline tonight. I ordered the part luckily it will only be replacing the one I already have in stock. I can even send you an itemized list per part and cost and we can talk about if you want to actually pay me something for making it :D
Last edited by adronl on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Just wanted to note: a shorter, wider pump could be more expensive because prices explode for large-diameter, pressure-rated PVC.

It's neat to see what I presume to be more serious applications of water-gun–style pumps. More details would be welcome, if only because I'm curious. :)

adronl

Post by adronl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Well I built it for him I used exactly a 12" piece of 4" PVC with all the connectors and check valves and handle it ended up being closer to 24". It worked well he should be getting it on Friday. I have pictures I can post if you want to see the thing.