Pump Lubrication

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Teh Moron

Pump Lubrication

Post by Teh Moron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:49 pm

It appears my Flash Flood pump has somewhat dried out, as it is harder to push and pull than when I got it. What is a suitable lubricant considering the blaster has rubber seals? WD-40 and Vaseline will chew through the rubber, won't it?

Silence

Re: Pump Lubrication

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Silicone lubricant is a good choice since it's not oil-based.

Of course, Vaseline and others can still be used in homemade because the seals can be easily replaced.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 am

I prefer using silicone and nothing else that may damage rubber. The pump on an old 1200 was getting pretty stiff once and wouldn't close half the time. I sprayed a bit and the pump slides very effortlessly now. Unfortunately, I didn't get the same results with some other guns; their pumps' friction increase, or nothing much happened. This may have been because they were already moving as efficiently as possible. (but the seal was manufactured to be a bit big, or the pump shaft small)

From what I've heard, oil based lubes only chew through natural rubber, such as LRT. Still, I don't take the chance, and it's easier and less messy to spray silicone lube anyway than to wad out a chunk of vaseline.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:03 pm

C-A_99's correct that petroleum based lubricants are problems primarily on natural rubber. Buna-N rubber (a common O-ring material) is fine with vaseline, a common natural lubricant. However, the plastic may not be, though, I believe ABS is fine with it (please verify this rather than take my word).

Silicone lubricant is usually a safe bet. You might be some issues if the O-rings are made from silicone, but in every water gun I've see they have not been.

Hyper

Post by Hyper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

If you can find it, use silicone grease instead of silicone spray. The grease is 100% silicone so you can be sure it contains no oil based stuff as well. The grease can be found at home improvement stores.
Resistance is futile. You will be soakinated.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 am

Good suggestion...I never considered that before. I find the grease to be just as easy to work with, of course. You get more control (ever try greasing door hinges with silicone spray?) and you rarely need to spray the lubricant from a distance anyway.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Silence wrote:ever try greasing door hinges with silicone spray?
I used WD40 (I think it's silicone based, correct me if I'm wrong), and it worked great. Took less than a minute including wiping off excess, and no more squeaking.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Hyper

Post by Hyper » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:53 am

cantab wrote:I used WD40 (I think it's silicone based, correct me if I'm wrong), and it worked great. Took less than a minute including wiping off excess, and no more squeaking.
WD-40 seems to be made of several hydrocarbons, which may not be the best choice for lubricating rubber and plastics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Resistance is futile. You will be soakinated.