Loose washer in SC PowerPack

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
cantab

Re: Loose washer in SC PowerPack

Post by cantab » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Hmmm...maybe...but if you're using a triple shot to shoot round a corner you're wasting two thirds of your water.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Jibbles

Post by Jibbles » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:41 am

Well, havn't complained for a bit, so here we go.
I just read the fix for the pressure relief valve so maybe that could fix my sc 500.
My xp110 sprung another leak, appears a spring (in the nozzle section) has rusted and now leaks the back, which also probably caused the main problem in the first place. I was going to cut the nozzle section open to see exactly whats wrong and possibly replace the spring and or rubber bits if necessary.
XP 85, XP 110, 3 x CPS 1000, CPS 1500, SC500, SC Powerpak, 2 x speedloader 1500, and a speedloader 1000. There, i think thats mah arsenal

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:45 pm

You probably don't want to cut apart the nozzle section, as that might leave the water gun in an irreparable state.

Go to a department store and get a grab-bag of assorted springs. You're likely to find one that'll fit. Failing that, simply do the rubber band repair. That said, I may have misread the question...a picture would help. Until then, be sure to check out the full list of repairs.

Until then, good luck with fixing your water gun!

Jibbles

Post by Jibbles » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:57 pm

-----------------------XP110----------------------------

Heres the nozzle section, I cut off the top as aesthetically a repair job is barely noticable, also it is past the trigger pull valve?.

As you can see I have used paint to draw in where the rubber band goes (have used hot glue to mold some fittings).

However this isn't the issue
As illustrated by the poor attempt at drawing water spraying out, water leaks out here.

As I have yet to cut the rest open, the next image is what I believe to be the insides.
The First grey bit (after the metal pole) is some kind of plastic (I believe it may usualy keep the water from spraying out back by forming a seal or something)
The Brown bit i think may have been a spring (whatever it was has rusted away, may not even have been there)
The White bits i believe are plastic bungs holding the rubber in place
The Black bit is the rubber that forms the seal

What I reckon has happened is the internal spring has rusted away, hence it now fails to seal the nozzle by itself now. The rubber band works up to a point, but as I cannot hold the rear of this assembly with a rubber band, i'm kinda at a loss.

If this at all makes sense :P .

Edit: i managed to find the rest of the rusted bits, inside the orange part of the nozzle
Last edited by Jibbles on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP 85, XP 110, 3 x CPS 1000, CPS 1500, SC500, SC Powerpak, 2 x speedloader 1500, and a speedloader 1000. There, i think thats mah arsenal

Jibbles

Post by Jibbles » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Cracked open the SC500 again, it has a type B pressure release valve. I mention above that I was thinking of removing it as i can only get ~3 pumps before it activates (as opposed to 12 what is recommended). However in doing this I probably won't be able to use the QFD (this I believe used the valve to start filling the reservior after the PC was full). Is it possible to replace this valve, or is it "tuned" to the gun in a way.
[edit] have read through http://forums.sscentral.org/t4257/?high ... ve+replace . Don't have a replacement as such.
Last edited by Jibbles on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Completely blown valves are tricky to repair, so the best solution is to replace them entirely with ball valves or something of the sort. A few people in the forums have taken off the screws on their valves successfully fixed them, but this valve doesn't look easily repairable.

I think you should be able to use the QFD normally. The difference is that now, the water will be channeled to the reservoir sooner. I'm not sure why the pressure release valve is kicking in so early...has the pressure already reached what should be its peak? What's the range like? If you can't build up enough pressure, I'd seal off the valve.

Jibbles

Post by Jibbles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 pm

-------------SC500---------------

Pressure is pretty rubbish, you get ~1 second or 2 shot time, and if pressure is left in it (for say a few minutes) you can expect ~1m range and <second of shot time.
Also I poked the blue valve and it compressed fine (sounds like a spring in behind).I assume this would be the release valve.

I figured i shud also put a pic of the section side on.

(Oh and at some stage I can do a "how to" on getting the xp110 and sc500 apart, as they arent the easiest to do so)

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Then I'd go with disabling the overpressure valve and adding a nozzle selector (or epoxing on the old one). However, you'll probably want to add a pressure release valve (from a source like McMaster-Carr) rated a bit under hose pressure so that the QFD does redirect to the reservoir in the end.

A how-to on opening your water guns would be much appreciated - we haven't written much lately. The process can be different for water guns with different marks, so it would also help to document which type of SC 500 and XP 110 you have. (Then again, that's probably impossible unless you can find information on other marks.) Anyway, thanks, and good luck with the repair! :)

Jibbles

Post by Jibbles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 pm

What sort of store is McMaster-Carr?, coz I would rather try find something local if possible (I live in NZ, just east of Australia). As for the marks, I can't find any marks other than 1 for the xp110 so that should be fine and as for the sc500, Beige with pink or purple tanks, so according to here http://www.sscentral.org/reviews/sc500.html its a mark 2 (its cps as well), whereas Isoaker http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Analysis/1999/sc500.html sorta leans towards the mark 1 as there is no black on my gun. I'm inclined to say its a mark 2 though.

Also would I be able to do the "how to" here and you guys move it or is there somewhere else I should post it?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:10 am

McMaster-Carr is a massive plumbing and hardware distributor that ships online; however, they no longer ship outside the U.S., which is inconvenient unless you use a package forwarding service. You should be able to find a pressure release valve at a different store, but expect to do a bit of digging. There are a lot of businesses that cater to the industrial crowd, but they'll only ship in bulk.

So, do some searching, but I doubt you'll find many places besides McMaster-Carr.

The official format for submissions is outlined here, but honestly, you can do anything you want to...forums, email, etc.

I can't seem to find where iSoaker mentions the mark of the water gun he reviewed - unless you're judging by color and the description on this site, which is fine. As long as it's obvious which list of marks we're using, there shouldn't be any problem.