CPS 1000 - Leaky Pull Valve

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Drenchenator

Re: CPS 1000 - Leaky Pull Valve

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 am

I think replacing the valve should still be an option, but a last resort. If all else fails and the valves gets worse, replacing it is a a safe bet. In JLspacemarine's case, it could save the gun if you do it right.

If really would not cut the valve. Try what I recommended first because it really doesn't require much effort and can't go wrong for the most part; it really could only help or do nothing.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:08 am

Turns ou that Mars has already cu the valve open, and everything is intact. that is all I know for now.

Storm
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 am

I'm afraid you are too late. :eek:

Conclusion:
I opened the valve and there didn't appear to be any visible problem that I could repair. :mad:

But all is not lost. I was able to lubricate the valve and cut the top of a water balloon to use as an O-ring. I then placed the O-ring/water balloon top on the point where it was leaking, and tightened it by doubling over (quite successful). The leaking seems to have stopped. :)

However, after I glued it back together the valve exploded (after some time and use). The epoxy resin had given way. :eek:

It was a bit of a shock, but I don't think I did a very good glue job and the frame wasn't supporting valve yet. So, it's a simply case of gluing better. :cool:

The moral: Don't cut the valve in a CPS 1000. It's a very stable mechanism and more can be done on the exterior. If anyone has this problem refer to me and this thread. :cool:
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:55 am

Well, being unable to repair a valve that you've cut open is normal. I remember having a trigger valve problem with one of my 2700's ages ago. The 2700 valve does have screws, but it was also glued shut very well so I still had to cut it in half. After that it was impossible to get it to work again as the epoxy putty refused to seal in the gap between the two halves.

The 1500's valve is much better in that it just uses a specially shaped o-ring as the seal, and it's very easy to take apart and put back together again.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 pm

My CPS 2700's valve wasn't glued shut. Interesting. Which mark was your CPS 2700 sbell?

If you've already cut the valve open you have nothing to lose by attempting to repair it. With the two halves it'd probably be worthwhile to try a plastic welder like IPS Weld On #3 or 4. I don't know the difference between them too much but they're meant to weld most plastics together. Connect the two halves together as they were before and use a syringe to apply the Weld On to the contact points. It'd probably be worthwhile to use some plastic strips over the seam to help them joint together better.

Once that's completely set look for some epoxy putty designed for plastic. McMaster-Carr has some but you live in Australia so you'll have to look elsewhere. This will give you the best bond possible. Cover the area with the seam and plastic strips with this after sanding it well. It'd probably be best to cover the entire valve in fact as to make a new valve casing with the epoxy putty. Of course, you'd have to cut the case to make the valve fit then, but it'd work.

If that doesn't work then all you can do is some valve replacement. I have a basic valve replacement guide in the repairs section.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:10 am

My 2700 was the original orange and yellow version like yours. Does that mean yours had an o-ring seal as well?

Mars, good luck with the repair anyway. Would JB-Weld work for this sort of thing? I've never seen it sold in Australia or NZ but you can get it on ebay.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 am

Well actually, I just glued it shut quite well. I haven't tested it yet, but I think with a little support it will remain shut. :)

Actually, I had Macus over when it exploded before. It was quite funny. I hadn't put the casing on yet and it blew up in my face. At first, I thought it was the CPS chamber coming out of it's socket. However, after further inspection, I saw the giant split. :eek:

"The time when Mars's CPS 1000 blew up!" :D

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

If you want to really reinforce the valve, glue a strip of plastic around the split. This provides a lot more surface area for the glue to bond to, giving it a stronger bond. Just a tip in case this sort of thing happens again.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 am

Mars has attempted to glue the valve shut again, and this time it is much better. Toay at school I suggested that he put another layer on once the first is dry, and he agreed that that was a good idea.

Storm
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 am

Overall Conclusion:
Well, I double epoxied the valve and placed a small tightened wire around it. I didn't over-do-it and epoxy hasn't cracked. It's holding very well. I got a seal. :)

Well, at least for now. The the gun is firing as normal and the leak has decreased quite a bit. There is still a little and I might look into what is causing that. To a point. All guns leak and a degree of tolerance is in order. Overall, I am quite happy.

I am certainly not K-moding it. If the valve does burst, it should be quite spectacular.

So just remember, if you hear a bang, then that would probably be me! :D

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:59 am

Ther is a quite a bit of truth in that last post, mars. Most guns have a leak in some way or another. My new CPS 2500 leaks from around the nozzle selector, just a tiny bit, but there is nothing really to do amount it and I can manage the leak anyway.

Storm

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Yeah, I will never stop all the leaks. But I still don't like the little amount that comes out.

I put a blessing paper within the gun. "This gun is gifted with Dark Apostle saturation, Amen". :D

Hey, Storm you just hit the 100 posts. Happy Birthday. :D

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Cheers buddy. YOu are about to hit the mark also.
That reminds me to put some lucky charms inside my guns. I shall do that tonight.

Storm

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:18 pm

I just hit it. :cool:

The funny thing is, it really is your birthday. :D

We could use this blessing thing as another secret weapon. Hmm.. maybe I shouldn't put that on the forums. Well, Auth doesn't look at these forums much. :cool:

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Auth would most likely perform sacred blood rituals on his guns. Not like that would make any difference, aside from his awesome homemade, all his guns are shocking.

I think we should tell him to Collossus his Arctic Poo.

Storm