CPS 1200 valve

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Locked
User avatar
C-A_99
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 pm

CPS 1200 valve

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:03 pm

I believe this one is the MK I; everything is glued together: the pump cap, the nozzle, and the end of the PC case. (the whole case has to be unscrewed and the glue bonds broken) The grip's texturing also snaps off. (as opposed to slightly newer models where it was just a part of the case)

I was able to fairly succesfully do a 15 balloon k-mod on this, getting around 20 pumps. I may increase the amount of balloons on it later.

Anyways, this one seems to have always had issues with its pull valve either getting stuck open or closed, usually open. For the past week, I've tried rubber bands, which never worked so now I'm going to create some backing for a spring using the PC case as support.
Picture:
Image

User avatar
SSCBen
Posts: 6449
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:00 pm

Re: CPS 1200 valve

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:46 pm

How many rubber bands are you using? I don't think a spring will function differently than rubber bands. Are you sure the spring going bad is the problem here? The seal could also come loose. That sounds more likely to me if can be both stuck open and closed. That indicates to me that the spring not pushing hard enough isn't the problem.

ben@sscentral.org / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.

User avatar
C-A_99
Posts: 1502
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 pm

Re: CPS 1200 valve

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm fairly sure theres no problems with the seal since when I manually push the valve closed completely, it stores pressure fine. I believe it was getting stuck closed because the design doesn't allow it to be pulled very far, which I can fix by using a shorter rod that pulls on the lever. However, the spring behind the lever prohibits proper closing without a strong spring behind it. I've tried 2 ruber bands and overall, it seems to be a fairly dissatisfactory solution. The bands will also exhibit problems over time due to other stress inside.

Here's a quick video that demonstrates the problem with the pulling range.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/23/1105583/MVI_0088.avi

Locked