Flash Flood Repair Needed

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:21 am

It's been a long time, but I finally got the basics to my repair, so please excuse the double-post. I'll put up some pics and info.

Well to open it, just unscrew everything you can see, then try to get the Flash Flood nozzle's trigger out, which should come out eventually after some wiggling. (edit: it can be somewhat difficult and annoying to get this piece out) After that, unscrew the screw that was covered by the trigger. (stupid me forgot to do this and I never noticed it was there, and I ended up busting the screw connection when trying to pry it out.) Then, the nozzle caps should slide out, if not, try to get inside and unscrew them from their ends. Basically, both nozzle pieces are composed of 2 pieces screwed together, the inside half keeps it on. Once you open up all the screws, both pieces should slide out. (however, I messed up the flash flood's cap trying to pry it out, since I never noticed the screw, and tried getting the nozzle caps out first, so the screw connection on the flash flood cap got busted) Lastly, the pump cap. What I did is use a "-" shaped screwdriver (sorry, don't have the name, but it's quite plain), then hammered it in the center to create a seam, and eventually, got it to completely seperate. Afterward (assuming the problem is the spring broken), I simply replaced the spring in the broken trigger with rubber bands to keep the 2 parts together. A potential issue is the lack of strength, in that case, do some experimentation with different rubber bands, rubber band folds, amounts of rubber bands, etc. After that, get the metal piece that connects the trigger piece to the trigger system back on, inserting it through a hole and making sure the trigger piece gets pulled to the front. If you need to, you can get rid of the 2 screws that connects the trigger system to the frame to make it easier to get the rubber bands on and/or to remove the spring. Just be sure the trigger system gets screwed back on correctly, pushed all the way forward. Here are some pics. Note that the repair is not completely finished, I still have stuff to do, things to test, etc.

Notice how the spring is broken, the spring that keeps 2 pieces together and allows the trigger to operate and return, etc.

Depics the nozzle caps, the mistake I made with the flash flood nozzle's cap, and the seperated pump cap.

Shows the flash flood trigger piece removed, and a closer-up pic of the nozzle caps.

The rubber bands in place of the broken spring. (the spring is in the lower left corner of the picture) Make sure the metal piece that connects the round part to the trigger piece is correctly inserted. Just put it onto the trigger piece so the hook end faces upward, around, like a C. Then get it into the nearby hole. Make sure the trigger piece is all the way to the front.

Of course, a similar repair can be done to the Flash Flood trigger too, it's not limited to the main, lower trigger.

If any of this stuff is of any use to SSC and/or iSoaker (the pics and/or the information), go ahead and use them. I might write a complete article on this later, since I haven't seen any documentation for it and it's a very common problem. (even though it wasn't hard to figure out)

Edit: actually, anyone can use them, a mention of my username would just be appreciated.

Edit: Minor typo and some stuff I should've mentioned.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Nice article! I'm sure this is a good enough guide for anybody who has the problem, it's very well done. Nice pics too. Correct, while the problem is well known and while we can explain it to people, complete articles on the repair aren't too common. SSC has a good one, though.