What's your favorite console 2010?

Topics related specifically to video gaming.

Which is your favorite console?

PC
13%
Wii
13%
PS3
13%
PSP
No votes
XBox 360
25%
DS
13%
Older Console
25%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 8

JuchTurtles

What's your favorite console 2010?

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:30 am

Decided to update the favorite console thread by the requests of few people. Vote on which you like the most.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Re: What's your favorite console 2010?

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 am

Much needed, thanks.
BTW, the Nintendo 64 ties for best console ever with the game boy color. :D
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:15 am

The DS Original and Lite, for compatibility with GBA games - and especially the ability to transfer my Pokemon from the GBA games to the DS games. You can't do that with a DSi.

Really though, the DSi doesn't offer anything notable over the previous models. It has extra power, but to my knowledge no games are yet using it. Camera is gimmicky and personally I'd rather NOT have my face in my games. Slightly bigger screens, but I don't find the regular DS's screens a problem. (And anyway, if you really want bigger screens, there's the XL for that now).

I'd suggest changing the poll again to make all versions of the DS one entry, there's really not enough to differentiate them. And also all models of the PSP together - to my knowledge the only difference with the Go is the form factor and that the Go doesn't support the UMD disks, only downloading games - which makes it arguably inferior to the regular PSP. (If you want I can tweak the poll and move my vote accordingly).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:31 pm

That would be helpful, the split categories are not really all that different.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:04 am

Well I can't change it. Maybe we can just re-post it or something.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:32 am

XBLive is a service, not a console. That's like calling Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection or the PS Network a console.

I fell out with Nintendo long ago after getting a DS (the original). They're just not offering a good enough game selection for the average gamer, and PC and XBox 360 is where it's all at now. PS3 gives best value for the hardware but I'm also finding that their game selection is not as wide as the 360's. (and don't get started with the Wii; the number of games worth playing on there is fewer than the number of good series of games for the 360)

Overall PC gives the best hardware options (thus graphics, controls, etc. are always best on a good PC compared to consoles) while the 360 tends to get more of the newer games. That said, I don't have a real up to date PC configuration yet for gaming, though I do occassionally play some old games.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm

JuchTurtles wrote:Well I can't change it. Maybe we can just re-post it or something.
I can - and have.
Left XBboxLive in, even though it's not really a console. I suppose someone who does virtually all their XBox 360 gaming on the service would choose it.
C-A_99 wrote:I fell out with Nintendo long ago after getting a DS (the original). They're just not offering a good enough game selection for the average gamer, and PC and XBox 360 is where it's all at now. PS3 gives best value for the hardware but I'm also finding that their game selection is not as wide as the 360's. (and don't get started with the Wii; the number of games worth playing on there is fewer than the number of good series of games for the 360).
This is of course a matter of opinion. Personally I find the DS is where there are games I want to play. Pokemon Platinum and the upcoming HGSS, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Scribblenauts, Mario Kart DS, GTA Chinatown Wars, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, the list goes on. (Though actually, I might play Chrono Trigger on a SNES emulator running on my DS, instead of the actual DS remake). Add to that the GBA's library, though it's tough to get GBA games nowadays.

There's nothing on XBox 360 I'm dying to get, though I'm mildly interested in Mistwalker's stuff. Can't say the Wii appeals to me either. PS3 has Final Fantasy XIII and GTA4, but a couple of games isn't enough to warrant getting the console. The next console I buy might actually be a PSP - I want to get Dissidia Final Fantasy, FFVII: Crisis Core, and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. The last isn't out yet - when it is I might look at getting a second hand PSP.

And as for PC - well I don't have a system remotely capable of running modern games, and I will never let Windows 7 onto any machine I own (have you read the EULA?). When I build my new computer, which I'm hoping to do soon, I might look at getting some older games that'll run on Wine.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks cantab. I voted for Wii because I enjoy a lot of the Mario games and the WiiConnect24 abilities. I just wish it featured more shooting games.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:54 pm

My comments towards Nintendo's lackluster game selection was mostly regarding the Wii. The DS does have a decently sized library, though personally I'm not really into handheld games since many of them feel lacking overall. The Wii seems to be pack full of poor 3rd party games and might-as-well-be-flash games like Wii-Fit or Cooking Mama. The mario games, to me, are getting a bit old as well and that only leaves very few games I'd be somewhat interested in, such as Twilight Princess (which I have for GCN already), Brawl (though Melee still seems to provide a similar game experience), and maybe a few others.

The 360 on the other hand, has far more games I'd get than I can actually buy. Rainbow 6 Vegas, Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, the list goes on. True, many of the games are also on PC, and are often better on PC than on the 360, but there are still many 360 exclusives and games that aren't much good on the PC version. (usually due to problems in porting it over)

I'll probably take out Xbox Live from the poll myself. (unless Juch prefers to keep it in; let me know) It just doesn't make any sense to have it in there.

Edit: Done.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 am

Go ahead and take it out C-A_99. It doesn't make any sense, and the only reason I thought it was, was because a friend of mine told me it was a system (obviously a clueless friend). I didn't know. I'm not that much into gaming. :p
SPLASH! You're dead!

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

cantab wrote:Really though, the DSi doesn't offer anything notable over the previous models. It has extra power, but to my knowledge no games are yet using it. Camera is gimmicky and personally I'd rather NOT have my face in my games. Slightly bigger screens, but I don't find the regular DS's screens a problem. (And anyway, if you really want bigger screens, there's the XL for that now).
I have a DSi, and I must say that it is very nice. There are a few new things for it that aren't available on the DS / DS Lite.
-Included (halfway decent) web browser
-Support for WPA networks
-Slightly bigger screen, but not ridiculously big like the XL
-Downloadable games

I upgraded to it from an original DS, so it was more a matter of replacing something starting to go bad than upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

Oh, I voted for "older console". NES FTW. My second choice would probably be the 360 (while I don't have one), and my third choice the Wii (because of its hackability).
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 pm

If you have a flash card, you can play NES games on your DS :-) Though you do have to contend with slightly annoying resolution issues - you either get ugly scaling, or accept the edges of the screen being cut off.
Arsenal:

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 pm

My favorite is PC if that counts as a console.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:34 am

I am trying to pick up a n64 on ebay, anyone know of a good deal? It can be from anywhere that will ship to the US
-Zeda
Quack damn you.