Updating FAQ's

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
martianshark

Re: Updating FAQ's

Post by martianshark » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 am

Rifling? But a gun would need a barrel for that. No stock water gun has that.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 pm

It was a failure.
"Rifling water streams
To those who are not familiar with guns, rifling makes the bullet spin. The spin on the bullet breaks up the air before the bullet, allowing the bullet to be less affected by drag. Rifling essentially makes guns more accurate and shoot a farther distance.
Rifling would reduce performance rather than improve it. Those who claimed to have rifled streams claimed to use long screws to give the water a spin. Placing a long screw in the nozzle would not only reduce the velocity of the water stream, but increase the turbulence of the stream as well. Regardless of the internal problems, had the stream obtained a spin it would only break apart due to centrifugal force."

Pasted from here

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I know what rifling is. It's sort of like turning a bullet into a football. I was just wondering how this modification could be done since water guns don't have barrels.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Water guns can technically be rifled, but it would, as soakernerd mentioned, reduce performance. I think the performance decrease would mostly be attributed to lack of laminar flow. Rifling has been suggested for WBL's before, but if it's even possible it's far more troublesome than it's worth since you will need solid sabots (that grip the balloon well) and very high pressure launching: the launch velocity may need to be so fast that the balloon will likely burst.

I'll continue to dig through the FAQ's as I can.

Edit: I'm pretty much done with the general FAQ's. I also updated some homemade FAQ's and did a lot of rewriting on the tactics FAQ. The topic of tactics and game rules is a little controversial since everyone does them different, but I think my answers are generally sufficient. For example, most people do not prohibit soaking those who are refilling. I can't see how such a rule could even make any sense. (except in a free-for-all soakfest where water supplies are limited and the game drags on for hours, forcing people to refill constantly and require/waste a ton of water)
Last edited by C-A_99 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Rifling only works in projectile launchers that shoot objects through a barrel, so it could technically work in nerf, airsoft and the like, but with fluid motion it would just contribute to the breakup of the stream before it exited the barrel.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Rifling is only for very high velocity objects which is why no war games ever use it. It wouldn't contribute anything to a low-speed projectile like a paintball or BB. Instead, BB's use a hop up system that puts a vertical spin on the projectile, so that the projectile can curve straighter. I think this happens by air resistance; the air hits the curving surface and creates lift this way, and the projectile can even curve upwards if the hop is set too high. The Nerf Buzzsaw uses this exact same principle to shoot Nerf balls farther and in a straight trajectory. I don't think this principle is used in paintball but I'm not sure and it's definitely not used for Nerf darts.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:09 pm

I just realized a problem with soakernerd's suggestion. When abbreviated, Air Piston could be mistaken for Air Pressure. How about Internal Piston? Or maybe Air Powered Piston?

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I believe the advantage of rifling comes as much from having a projectile with a snug fit in the barrel as from the spin itself. Historically smoothbore weapons had quite a gap between barrel and ball, meaning the ball could 'rattle' as it travelled down the barrel, and exit the muzzle not quite in a straight line.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:05 am

In defense of the FAQs, we did write them in a "do what you can" sort of way. Admins came in a wrote a few and went by with their days.

In all, they answer so many questions (I looked over several forums to get all the questions and chose the most frequently asked ones), but I don't think we collectively proofread them. I'm sure that when we get around to the next iteration of SSC, we'll seek to improve and update these. I'm sure we're missing a lot of more recent questions.

Still, thanks for all the suggestions! That's how we improve things; we listen to people.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:44 am

Drenchenator, I took out a lot of the stuff you wrote previously that I had to strongly disagree with or was outdated. I'm not done going through all the FAQ's yet but I finished the general and tactics FAQ's so you can have a look at them to see what I changed. (I didn't actually delete anything, I just put them in <!-- --> comment tags.)

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm

I looked into rifling airsoft barrels, and found that because of the distances involved with backyard airsoft (i.e. <100 feet) it would not have a great impact. The same would probably ring true unless, as you said, the projectile has an extremely high velocity.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.