Adblock Plus no longer working?

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Specter

Adblock Plus no longer working?

Post by Specter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:30 am

ABP used to block all the ads on SSC for me. Now all the ads show up no matter how many times I tell ABP to block the frame.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Re: Adblock Plus no longer working?

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:22 am

SSC has ads!?
As for why ABP isn't working, I'm not sure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:10 pm

That's weird. I use EasyList so I never bother blocking ads manually.

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift+R to reload and skip the browser cache. Try reinstalling Adblock Plus. I haven't seen any updates in a while (even though updates come out often), so it can't be a problem from that...

Yes, SSC does have ads now. Fortunately they're not *too* intrusive...I'd prefer using an affiliate link system through Amazon, Commission Junction, etc., but I suppose this works too.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:29 pm

That's weird. I use EasyList so I never bother blocking ads manually.
ABP used to do it automaticly after I told it to block the frame(s) once. Now it doesn't block them. Even after telling it to block the frame and after reloading the page, they show up again.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Weird. I use Adblock Plus and the ads have always been blocked.

I tried to keep them from being too intrusive by putting them in easy to ignore spots. It might make me less money but I think it makes the website experience better.

We'll experiment with some sort of affiliate system eventually... I have considered using Amazon's affiliate system but never got around to it.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 pm

I tried to keep them from being too intrusive by putting them in easy to ignore spots.
I can see how the one at the bottom is easy to ignore, but the one at the top is annoying because I always see it now. :(
Screenshot:

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Specter on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:45 am

Hmm... weird... there's not much I can do about it though. Try getting a new list. Mine's pretty old and it still blocks AdSense ads. You could also try blocking http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js , which is the JS file included in the page that displays the ads.

I'll duplicate the normal skin and call it "SSC2008 sans ads" tomorrow if I remember to.

Some forums I've browsed are particularly obnoxious when it comes to ads. I personally hate the ones embedded in posts because even if you block them you still have the post by some adbot taking up space. Annoying.

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:35 am

I'll open up the blockable items list and blacklist (or is it whitelist?) anthing that has to do with the ads and see if that will do anything.

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:12 am

I forgot to update that since I did what I said I would do in ^^ that post, the ads are not showing up anymore. (so far)
I went and blocked everything with the word "ad" or "ads" in the source link.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:23 am

I never have those ad problems. I use ABP.

Here's a thought. I never knew their were ads for ebay. That is a great idea for ebay. The SSC community buys a lot of water guns on the site. Maybe that ad might be helpful. ;)
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am

hmm, it just looked annoying to me mars, but I wouldn't really know because my ABP works perfectly on this site.

@Specter, there are two things that might be causing it, the version of firefox that your running and the operating systim your running. (vista has compatibility issiues with some firefox addons)
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

It would be a good idea except that the ad box never rotates any good soakers that people here would want to put money on :p
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Hmm...an eBay affiliate link would a be a good idea. I think they just started the service a month or two ago.

I'm not sure how to see advertisers registered with Commission Junction. Maybe you have to create an account to view them, which I'm not going to do.

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:45 pm

@Specter, there are two things that might be causing it, the version of firefox that your running and the operating systim your running. (vista has compatibility issiues with some firefox addons)
I have Firefox 3.0.1 or whichever the latest one is. And I don't have vista(lol) its windows xp with a vista transformation skin

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 pm

I'm looking into the eBay Affiliate Program at the moment as a potential replacement or compliment to AdSense. We're making decent money from AdSense but it's not as much as it could be (not that I particularly care). I always found the eBay links to be more relevant even when they don't show water guns I'm looking for. If the eBay Affiliate program is similar that could work.

Similarly I'd imagine the Amazon Affiliate program would help too. Cafepress for SSC items could be nice.

Does anyone have any other ideas for something other than AdSense to generate money? Again, AdSense has worked well and has allowed me to work on some projects that I wouldn't have worked on but I'm very open to other possibilities.