Supercannon II Shot Image Gallery

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Drenchenator

Supercannon II Shot Image Gallery

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Okay, I'm starting off our near-weekly updates with something I'm sure people will enjoy: more shot images of Supercannon II. We did testing in January (yes, January) while on winter break and took videos of each shot, resulting in hundreds (yes, hundreds) of images. Some were good; some were bad. Here is the link to 41 of the best ones that truly demonstrate SC2's awesome power.

With the number of images that we have, I may write a "Graphical Stream Analysis" article--but that's for a later date. For right now, enjoy these shot images. Any feedback is of course welcome and appreciated.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

CROC

Re: Supercannon II Shot Image Gallery

Post by CROC » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Those... are.... amazing!
Pics 3 and 7 look like a nuclear bomb went off inside the gun (mushroom stream)
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Glad you like them! The "mushroom effect is actually bad: It's caused by the air in the nozzle (or barrel at least in those two pictures) mixing rapidly with the initial burst of water. The water pushes out the air in the nozzle, making the head of the stream highly turbulent--though it only is this pronounced because of the pipe diameter. Most guns wouldn't get this because the volume of air in their nozzles is much smaller.

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:03 am

It may be bad, but it looks completely awesome in comparison to the normal shot pics that you see. I can think of one way that you can solve this - Use the Quick connect hose connector things , but it may reduce your range. Connect this to a T and it should fill with less air, but may be more turbulent.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 am

There is actually nothing you can do; air is going to block the stream anyway. Plus, it's only the tip of the stream that gets like that; notice that the rest--even though it was at least 300 oz/sec--remained far more laminar because it was "drafting" behind the turbulent head. Anyway, it does look nice, doesn't it?