Question about SSC

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
marauder_4

Question about SSC

Post by marauder_4 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:53 pm

I was surfing the web and old webrings to make a better list of sites, and I found an old site named Super Soaker Warehouse... but on the front page it said Super Soaker Central hahahaha! Am I missing something here...?

So, when officially did SSC begin? Did you guys have any sites previous to this? When'd you join the community. I'm confused. (I'm writing up something about the history of water warfare online for hydrowar)

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 pm

SSC was started in February/March 2003. If I remember correctly, Ben had a prior site called WWOMD. (Water Weapons of Mass Destruction)
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:10 pm

I could dig up my first post at Aquatica, but I don't think it's worth much. I think I joined in around July 2002.

I have heard of a WWOMD website, but I did not run it. That was well before my time. I did appreciate that website very much though (and I have a copy of most pages somewhere). The Internet Archive has some of that site: http://web.archive.org/web/199910061440 ... erweapons/

My first water gun page was a small page about the backpack modification I had made. My first real website was the Super Soaker Silo (still online). According to the news page, that website started on October 1st, 2002. I am fairly sure that the page wasn't uploaded until after that however. Then the Aquatica-clones started: HydroEvolution turned to SuperSoaker.tk eventually. Everyone should also know Freakymist's SSCL, though slowly those pages are being removed...

After a while, Super Soaker Central was born, and it was unique in that it was a content and forum site. Freakymist and I did some planning in March of 2003, though we really started out as a forum with content hosted there (similar to many failed websites of today). It wasn't really until later (April?) that we made the site, though admittedly I really did most of the work. You can check out the original SSCentral from 2003. I could also fetch what is commonly called "v2", but I'd rather not because I don't like it very much (though everyone tells me it's the best).

If you'll need a more in-depth history, I could give you whatever information you'd like. ;)

As for that one website that says "Super Soaker Cenral [sic]", from what I know that guy changed the website to say that because I saw it before in a search. Due to the "sandbox effect", Super Soaker Central doesn't even appear until the third page for it's own website name! He probably did that to out-rank us.

CPS

Post by CPS » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:44 am

lol, look at the original k-mod on the original sscentral "I recommend 2-5 balloons depending on the performance increase you're looking for."

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks alot, that helps with my graph of soaker sites throughout the years. For some reason I had thought your site had started when Super Soaker Silo was up. I didn't know all that.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:05 pm

CPS wrote:Hey, that's funny!, look at the original k-mod on the original Super Soaker Central "I recommend 2-5 balloons depending on the performance increase you're looking for."
That's not K-modding. That's the CPS PC Ballooning mod, which is essentially a very weak K-mod, mostly because people weren't very adventurous then. This was before the "K-mod" was popular - people at the forums called it a K-mod, but it was PC ballooning on the website.

When are you going to start using capitalization correctly? I've only said this about five times to directly to you. The rules are going to be completely implemented very soon, and I won't have a problem taking further action if you don't simply press the shift button on occasion.

It's not too much to ask really. If you have a problem with this rule, I would very highly suggest reading our new [url=http://forums.Super%20Soaker%20Central%20.org/t3324/]draft of the short rules[/url]. There's several options presented in there if you do not like our rules. This new draft is at least 3 times shorter than the old rules, but covers a little more in slightly less detail.

Marauder, if you would like a copy of the entire Aquatica Yahoo Club for this project, give me an email. I have a copy of the entire group that can be viewed in most mail programs. ;)

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Can you send me a copy of that? I'd like to read some of the stuff there, namely the older mods like death walker and 2250.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:49 am

I'm very sure that things like Deathwalker and CPS 2250 aren't on there. In fact, all information on Deathwalker should be available on the Internet Archive and all of the CPS 2250 information would be available at this board and the Club Aquatica board (not the Yahoo one). I'm also not redistributing any of my archives to anyone who wasn't there. If you want specific information, I'll find it for you, but if you want the whole thing, I won't give it to you.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:56 pm

That's what I was thinking of! I was thinking nukes (silo, WOMD).

@CPS:
The old "k-mod" article was written by me. Ben's right, no one was very adventurous back then - I did that mod on my friend's 1200 for lack of wanting to sacrifice one of my own guns.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.