Small change in the rules

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 am

Why would I disregard a valid opinion? You say that like I don't care about my forum. :P

The rules are mostly for the people who don't know better. Honestly, those who know better (Super Members/Moderators) shouldn't have to worry much about changes in the rules. Perfect grammar and spelling is not required or even guaranteed through our methods. Making an attempt to make your posts understandable is.

There is no "extreme post integrity" at SSCentral. Let's get that straight from the start. If I wanted to keep the posts at the highest level of integrity, I'd have far stricter rules. There are absolutely tons of forums where people get banned for the smallest infraction. That's not what SSCentral is about. These rules are here only to keep the bad from happening.

Now I'll ask you a question: Can you expect to even stand a change against inexperienced users without established rules? What is your method? Apparently it's better than our method, and I'd love to learn a thing or two about it. ;)

When someone gets to the point where they are beyond our powers to improve, we could simply just put them on read-only until they learn a thing or two. That is an actual solution.

Thing is, people would complain about the inexperienced users if we didn't do anything about it. Now they complain when we do our best to stop the inexperienced users. What do you really want?

Freakymist, that was spiteful and completely unnecessary. I know your stance on the issue, but you don't need to try to "prove" it that manner.

In a sentence: If you've got a problem with any rules, please bring it up in a topic or poll and we'll at least rethink it.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 am

Originally posted by Doom@Mar 2 2005, 07:12 PM

Now I'll ask you a question: Can you expect to even stand a change against inexperienced users without established rules? What is your method? Apparently it's better than our method, and I'd love to learn a thing or two about it. ;)

I'm simply saying that there is a line between influencing post quality, and annoying new members to the point at which they just spam, leave, flame etc.

Also, this topic should be open for light discussion. Your last posts, had all the makings of a flame, and if nothing else I hope you agree that we should avoid THAT on this forum.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:20 am

Hey, that's funny. doom, you know me I just get bored don't take it personally :P

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:44 am

I find that this part of the year really gets on your nerves when newbs and inexperienced users role in. You're so used to everyone else having much better grammar and spelling that once people come in and start messing it up it gets annoying. It's not the spelling that gets me, its the grammar. If people talk like they just got here from Japan, it's really annoying. Talking like this is ok as long as it makes sense: "hey guys! I need help relli badly my vaporizer broke 'cause the pump fell off" That's fine with me. If a person is all over the place like this: "OMG The pump fell off and I need help the pump is a vaporizer pump what do I do its a little over a year old" That's when I get pissed off. If you are asking for help, make yourself easy to understand or you may not get helped. The best way to get people to post in a semi well managable way is to set examples. If the older vets and better known people post maturely, everyone else will fallow.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 am

Also, this topic should be open for light discussion. Your last posts, had all the makings of a flame, and if nothing else I hope you agree that we should avoid THAT on this forum.
Don't get me wrong. I'd ban myself before I go flaming (which according to dictionary.com is "An insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger, as on a computer network."). I just wanted to know what you would suggest. :P

I don't think the new guys are having a problem with our rules that much. In fact, I haven't seen major complaints from them. If you truly think a lot of people have problems with our rules, please make a topic with the specific passages in question quoted and list the changes or recommendations you would like to see. ;)
The best way to get people to post in a semi well managable way is to set examples. If the older vets and better known people post maturely, everyone else will follow.
I don't think that works. That in part was what I was trying to do with Super Members, but apparently it didn't do any good. In fact, I didn't notice any change at all.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Do you notice any change through enforcing spelling and grammar quality in posts? Because I don't.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 am

Yes, I do notice a considerable change. In fact, I am very surprised you haven't noticed at least a small change. Back last year, bad spelling and poor grammar went mostly unchanged. Now I will kindly give the members a heads up, and even the worst are making an effort. B)

That, in my book at least, is a sign that these rules are improving our forum.

---

Freakymist, please stop! COPPA has been on for about a week now. There's essentially going to be no one below the age of 13 unless they lie about their age or send in the COPPA report. 8 to 9 year olds aren't a problem anyway because I don't think there has been more than two or three in the entire history of SSCentral.

Edit your further problems in this post or talk to me on AIM. ;)

Edit by freakymist: (bold= freakymist)

Umm when I was younger then 13 I use to always lie about my age. Many do it. While my post about the ages may be a bit exaggerated they are still facts. The rules here are mocked and laughed at because the goal is so unrealistic. The fact that you care about something so little if humorous by it's self ;)

Doom: Statistically, I believe only a very small percentage lie about their age like that. And I believe you're the only one who's mocking the rules -- wetmonkey is the only one I've seen who's had a real legitimate problem with them. :Hey, that's funny.:

I showed kids at school this website, on their own they browsed around and saw rules ridcoulous as this one and they actually started laughing. :Hey, that's funny.:

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:15 pm

I have always been a big fan of sscentral in the past, however, lately, I have the found the post quality, repetitious questions, disregard for rules, etc, all my new members, a bit of a turn off to this forum. Now, all I'm saying is that, the only noticeable change in the way the adminstration has run things around here from the time I left last fall to the time I cam back last December, was the fact that the adminstration was extremely concerned about the quality of the posts, and that they were enforcing rules such as spell check and 150 word post limitations. I am willing to believe, Doom, that all of this post quality inspection lately has been a result of the recent upsurge int he amount of new members on the boards, however, personally I have not seen much improvement if any in the way that these new members formulate there posts. I am simply saying that you need to consider that the way your are handling this might not be the best way to do it.

As you pointed out earlier, you thought I had a "plan" to deal with this. I don't. I shouldn't be expected to have one as I am not an administrator here. However, I think that maybe harsher action needs to be taken instead of just writing up more rules.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:14 pm

I think the issue should be left alone, don't make harsher rules, just stop with the nonsense!

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Freakymist, we've heard you say that sort of thing time and time again. I hope you were referring to your own complaining when you said "stop with the nonsense". This is Doom's site, let him do it how he wants.

Wetmonkey - point taken. I believe we have become progressively harder on individuals and less tolerant of bad behaviour over the past year; maybe more is needed, as you say. It's difficult trying to strike the right balance.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Wether you agree with my opinion or not I am still an active member here. What kind of message are you sending to us? If we don't like how things are being ran , "just deal"? If that's really what this forum is about then I really don't want to support such a biased system. Get your own paypal account, skin your own dang forums. :rolleyes:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:01 pm

Actually Freakymist, I was going to switch the host later this year to my newest hosting. I have not been impressed with Solid Internet's support and uptime. We probably wouldn't need you to buy the hosting much longer. ;)

And no one is told to "deal" with our rules. As I've said several times, please make a topic quoting the rules in question and we'll reconsider! Remember the hated 150-word post setting? Forceuser simply brought it up in a poll and the popular 50-word limit was chosen (no limit was an option as well). No one has really had a problem with that since. There is no 150-word limit to "deal" with any longer. Please, by all means bring up the rules in question! If there is a popular want for change, I will in most cases make a change.

This topic will be locked. It only has turned into an argument, and according to our "quality-oriented rules," arguments are bad. :p h34r: