150 Minimum Character Post Limit

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.

What do you think the minimum character post limit should be?

33%
14%
6%
6%
250+
14%
None
28%

Total votes: 36

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:00 am

There wasn't a limit in the "old" SSC a while back. Times when the SSC staff contained old names: Doomsoaker, Neobird, Superstormer, Freakymist, Codemaster, and the such.

ISCF is a rather archaic term that means "iSoaker Community Forums" back in the days when that forum had just been set up to replace WWN [WaterWar.net], once the largest forum in Soaking. ISCF actually would not exist if WWN were still running [it was shut down due to server problems]. Had WWN survived, it might have had achieved 80,000 posts by now, easily. It took about a year for SSC to pass the mark set by WWN at its height! Some probably consider WWN as better than even Aquatica, but now I'm really reaching into Soakerdom history.

Speaking of, has anyone noticed how much history has become history? All these new members and the loss of old ones. I bet 1 out of 10 of the new members could tell me what xNeverFaceDefeatx is famous for. :p And I'm not even that old myself! Half the online community experience of Ben, probably a quarter of iSoaker's. :rolleyes:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:13 am

Yeah, although I've not been along for too long, I am somewhat acquainted with the online soaker community's history (Spinner's Soaker Sagas are great for this). I guess I was expecting iSoaker.com's forums to be called the iSc forums, so thanks for clearing this up.

I am familiar with those names that you have listed, but I am unclear what has happened to each person. I would appreciated if you could explain that or, so as not to mess up this thread, direct me to another.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes, I completely agree with joannaardway. Ben, have you actually seen any posts with less than 40 characters (or even 50)? I admit that I have come close, but that's usually only for Off Topic polls and such where I'm only expressing my opinion--and briefly, at that.
Yes, very often had I seen posts with less than 50 characters. Every time that a post like that happened, they either extended their post with random characters, added a sentence along the lines of "I'm only writing this to avoid the post limit." or did not post at all. I had received numerous PMs and emails about how people thought the post limit was "unfair," so many that I slowly worked to reduce it.

That single paragraph was over 400 characters, 8 times the original "unfair" limit. The times appear to have changed however. Most of our members today are fairly well versed in writing and have no problems with understandability and in fact are concerned about it. I am extremely thankful for this. ;)

As for the online water gun community's history, I actually have began to write an interesting article on the history of water guns on the internet. Once I complete it, some of you might find it to be an interesting read.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 am

Hahaha. All these memories. Also, I bet no new members know what Blaze was famous for. :D

By the Way: I'm approaching my 2 year SSC membership anniversary. It'll be in 10 days.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:32 am

April 29th? Well, we're sure to hear from you about that :) .

@ Ben: Yes, I do understand that the membership here is superior to that at other forums. I mean, questions actually get answered here, and more :D ! I don't waste my time at other soaker sites either, because they don't seem to be "at the forefront of soaker technology" as this site does. To think that I barely knew about soakers before I started viewing this site...and I had been looking at iSoaker long before that...

@ MilkMan (again): keep the memories. This is the new generation of soaker fans, and without us, there would be nothing left except archives :eek: . And stop torturing me--what was Blaze famous for (he was famous for anything?)?

EDIT: Somebody should start a "Nostalgia" thread, if that hasn't been done already. It seems like every time I bump into Duxburian, all we talk about is the "old days."

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:47 pm

It is best not to favor one place over another, at least in public. You can prefer one to another privately, there's nothing wrong with that, but publically stating such has only led to community tension in the past. Read everything before deciding where the "forefront of soaker technology" is. For that does not lie at one forum or another, it is spread across the online community. If it isn't, then I have not been doing my job well enough... Plus, the community leaders have worked to encourage the free flow of information between forums, and I still post everywhere on a regular basis to show support for all forums.

Blaze/Spikey was a troublemaker, although he did contribute a site and forums, even if it came with some controversy. He has mostly been forgotten, as have the other notable troublemakers. The good members are worth remembering more, such as XN, who invented the k-mod.

I'm rather Nostalgic simply because the bottom fell out of the community during 2005. There are not many new members that survived from that year, nor many sites or forums left. And I'm really not that old, it just seems so. If you want memories, talk to iSoaker, who has been around since...1999?

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:14 pm

SSC is a great forum but I think I've come to a conclusion. Water Guns are a very specific interest and although this site is great, it is hard to get interested people. For example, you can't just tell someone you met online or someone you know in person about SSC. Unless of course they are interested in water guns, which is very rare. Also, most water gun enthusiasts are little kids who wouldn't really "fit in" here. People grow out of soakers. Although I would have a water gun fight anyday (that is hot), I am not incredibly obsessed as I used to be. Also, my community was never very interested in water guns unlike a of other members.

As Duxburian said, a lot of us are talking about the old days because that was when SSC was it its prime. Sorry if you feel left out.

EDIT: My 2 year membership anniversary is the 30th. We're just in different time zones. :cool:
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 pm

The nice thing about current times is that there are a number of larger forums around. Different people just prefer the 'feel' of other forums, but all forums do their best to meet their membership's needs. If a forum fails its membership, there be choices on where those members can then go to. I don't mind people stating their preferences. :cool:

Different forums have also opted to focus slightly differently, tapping into their relative strengths. This keeps the forums from being too similar and, well, taps into the prime skills of the forum creators/main members. All forums can cover all topics, but each forum has particular strengths. iSoaker.com, itself, has spent many years balancing trying to maintain manufacturer relations which has resulted in reduced or even banned talk on mods, homemades, etc. for many years.

I've been hanging out in the online community since ~1998/1999 and lingering on SSCentral for almost 2 years (though not as isoaker_com). I only joined here under this alias a little more recently to dispell the notion of being 'at arms' against here. I had my reasons for not joining as isoaker_com then, but that's another story. ;)

In the end, SSCentral is an awesome place. The founders had great vision when it started and currently Ben/Doom has excelled at making this place the currently largest soaker forum online. On top of that, Ben's done a superb job at bringing the homemade-soakers home to many members who strive to push possible soaker tech onwards. Gotta give props to that!

By the way, wasn't this a 150 character post limit thread before? *goofy*

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm sorry if I upset anybody with my opinion, which I didn't mean to do--I should have written, "If I had a choice between SSC and iSc, I would use SSC for its DIY knowledge, important in this context, and iSc for more commercial information. Sorry about that :) .

EDIT: Any more support for a "Nostalgia" thread?

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:39 pm

SilentGuy wrote:I'm sorry if I upset anybody with my opinion, which I didn't mean to do--I should have written, "If I had a choice between SSC and iSc, I would use SSC for its DIY knowledge, important in this context, and iSc for more commercial information. Sorry about that :) .

EDIT: Any more support for a "Nostalgia" thread?
If you put it that way, SSc wholeheartedly kicks iSc in terms of DIY knowledge. That's a given... well, for now. ;)

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:14 am

I'm glad we could clear up the confusion :) ...

Remember, like other people, I still use iSc for commercial soaker information. I might join it if I have time (that would probably be in the summer).

EDIT: Woohoo! 100 posts! I would post a picture that says, "100," but that might be a bit over the top.

Funny, I claim that I don't have enough time for multiple soaker forums in the same post that I get my 100th post in :rolleyes: ...no offense or anything...

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 am

As for the online water gun community's history, I actually have began to write an interesting article on the history of water guns on the internet. Once I complete it, some of you might find it to be an interesting read.
Any progress on that? Yeah, a bit off topic, but the original topic kinda died and that comment was left hanging out there...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12 pm

No progress yet. I just made an outline at that time. Thanks for the reminder.