Reviving Waterwarfare.com

Discussion of other water gun websites.
isoaker_com

Re: Reviving Waterwarfare.com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Methinks that the main currently stumbling block with WWc is its current default skin; not sure what others think, but I find it a little hard to read/see new threads. While one can select a different skin once logged in, visitors see that default at first. Of course, what skin would work better is up to debate.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I just checked, the skin's very nice. Only criticism is the fixed, rather narrow, width.
If the icons aren't great, I'd suggest changing them but keeping the rest of the style the same. Don't shoot the baby out with the blasterwater.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:57 pm

I suppose my main gripe with the skin is that the most recently active thread's title doesn't appear on the main board. I've no problem with the colors or styling, though active forums don't particularly stand out, either. I tried once to tweak the template, but was so far unable to add in titles onto the forum index.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm

I thought the margins were fixed sometime ago, though a hack may have undone it. Now that I see it again, its way too narrow and only uses little more than 50% of the width on any resolution at or wider than 1366 pixels.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 am

I switched to the old subsilver skin a while back and had forgotten about the default skin. I don't particularly like the default skin either and don't like any skins without the most recent thread titles available on the mainboard. The width is a big problem too.

SSC will be put in some sort of archive mode. No posts will be transfered to WWC. All posts will remain online as they are now. The only posts I intend to transfer to WWC are archives of forums that are no longer online, and that won't happen for a while.

If people want to stay at SSC too, that is okay and perfectly understandable. We could easily use SSC instead of WWC.

I'm busy so I'll pop back in a few days...

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

I just set up up a Water Warfare Team Listing page at WWc to house eventual water warfare team descriptions and, hopefully, team listings for the Water Warfare League.

That said, I don't foresee WWc surviving well at present without full support from SSC. If SSC were to be used as the main hub, that's fine and all, but then I'd really recommend stopping all work at WWc, archiving it, and just pointing people here. There are benefits and difficulties with either choice so I can't say for certain that one option is better than the other. What I do know is that a decision should be made soon to avoid further, potentially unnecessary work being done.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:25 pm

I will set up a poll that gives people the option of moving to WWc or staying right here at SSC. Either way, we should keep the poll open for at least a week or two, possibly longer based on when people log on.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

TheTyphoon

Post by TheTyphoon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:11 pm

As probably the newest member (although long-time visitor of water war sites) I think that for newer members, if you're really wanting one place for the community to gather in, you're literally going to want to advertise WaterWarfare.com much more extensively. Right now, iSoaker.com has always been the most appealing water fight website to me, simply because it has the entire package you could want: Tactics, Forums, Entire Blaster Armoury, Cool layout, Humour section, everything.

First, build WW.com up, obviously. Make it have all those things, and since most of it is on a wiki, try to get all the blaster analysis things into articles on the wiki, as well as tactics etc. Then you'll want to advertise it physically on isoaker, sscentral, and other small sites need to know that there's a bigger site.
My Current Soaker Loadout: CPS 2500, SC 500, 1 x Water Balloon