Extrawater Forums

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

Re: Extrawater Forums

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't know how to do that specifically so you'll have to forward me the details of it. I could easily set up a redirect if that would be adequate, but I've seen InvisionFree forums hosted on a domain so I know what you're talking about. Email me the details.

Edit: If you want to set up a new forum there that would be fine too.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

There is an option for me to integrate it in the admin CP. I could just add it to forums.supersoaker.org

I have some odd issues with my php: Link
It has some wierd issue with including the header.php and the footer.php into the document.
The header.php contains the information such as bgcolor and the top part of the page. It is having trouble loading or something.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:21 pm

Make sure you're getting the directory path right. It looks like you're trying to locate scorpion.php (the name of the current file) instead of header.php and footer.php. Of course, that also assumes you're pointing to the right directory. :cool:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Nope, it seems to be looking for header.php and footer.php fine. However, it appears that you don't have the path right. Remove the ../ part and just write $location = '';. The PHP file is in the same directory as those, so you don't need to go back a directory.
There is an option for me to integrate it in the admin CP. I could just add it to forums.supersoaker.org
I'm still not quite sure what you mean. If you're talking about the InvisionFree admin CP, even if there is an option like that there it won't work without some configuration over here. Turn in on I suppose and then we'll configure it over here.

You also seem to have some text encoding problems, but they might be solved by having the right HTML header in there, so I'll just wait for you to get that part right.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:06 am

This is my coding for the page, do you see any problems with it, or what I am doing wrong?
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

-Croc

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:18 am

As I said in my post, do $location=''; instead of $location='../';. header.php and footer.php are in the current directory, so you don't need to go back a directory. That's what ../ does.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 am

Oh, I see now. I will do that now.

EDIT: It works now. I now just have to get the background colour to work now.
EDIT2: I tried to change to forums.supersoaker.org, but it gave me this error:

Code: Select all

The domain you have entered does not appear to point to this server at this time. The domain should point to z15.invisionfree.com with a CNAME record.
Last edited by CROC on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:14 am

I thought it wasn't looking for the right file since it wanted "scorpion.php" in the error messages, rather than "header.php" and "footer.php". Maybe that's due to the way PHP references files back and forth or something.

It looks like you got the background fixed. :cool:

CNAME records have to do with the domain setup. I'm guessing Ben has access to the domain so that's not a major problem.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:33 am

Okay, now you've learned the basics of PHP. This will save you a lot of time in the long run, believe me. ;)

I'll get on the DNS stuff too. I'll let you know when to change the settings.

Edit: Okay, give it a try now. I've never changed this sort of stuff but I think I did it correctly. If not then I'll just contact my host's support for help.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:34 am

The forum works on forums.supersoaker.org now. The reviews that I am doing are going at least 5 times faster than they were before. I have been able to complete almost 3 reviews in 1-2 hours (individual coding, I dont know why I forgot to save a blank template of the main part...)
-Croc

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue May 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Should I make a drop down menu for selecting water guns, or should I save that for later? I am toying with that idea in my head. Thoughts, comments, concerns?
-Croc

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 am

From my experience, using drop-down menus for navigation is a pain in the rear for 2 reasons: for starters, they hide all the options from the user; moreover they are hard to work with and implement. Regular links work much better in both regards.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Yep, they're terrible for usability. Visibility and selection of links is bad, and you can't see things like different colors for visited pages, the target URL, the hover text for the link, etc. Here's Jakob Nielsen on the subject.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu May 08, 2008 12:58 am

If you mean like HTML form drop down menus, don't use those unless you have a form to fill out. Those are annoying.

If you mean drop down menus like what iSoaker.com uses (the JavaScript/CSS variety), those can help, but I don't think they make too much of a difference in the end. Sometimes I find them annoying when using a website for the first time because they appear without warning. They can be hard to set up, but from what I've read doing them in CSS is pretty easy. Usability experts will tell you that they don't help much.

Sometimes I've found them helpful, while other times I wonder why the design relies so much on them. When done well they can work. If you want to use one my suggestion would be to not have any sub-menus because they can get very annoying on websites from my experience.

sneakycookie

Post by sneakycookie » Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm

I dont know much about code, But i do know that Silent guy is right. But some java cant be put into documents. Know this because my uncle works with code, and he has lots of trouble with java skript.
Add me on xfire, "sneakiecookie"