Soakerdom's Memberships 1998-2004

Discussion of other water gun websites.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:50 am

Yay! Go SM! I can make a 4 word long useless post about using an airstrike in a tactical scenario without getting bashed! *cough*cough*cough*

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:04 am

Don't push your luck, though. We are more tolerant than most, but to a certain extent. We expect members to be mature enough not to do stupid things.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:28 am

Unfortunately, no one who frequents this board besides me remembers what it was like before AQT had moderators. Before iSc left for the first time. Before then, there WERE no power struggles. Everyone just accepted that SSW and iSc were the leaders, mainly because they were a good five to ten years older than any of us. They were wiser. No one wanted power because power didn't mean anything. Because, even though they were "founders," they didn't post any differently, talk any differently or act any differently from anyone else. They didn't tell people what and what not to do. They just cleaned up. And honestly, while iSc has since been a really cool dude, if he hadn't stepped down for the first time in mid 2001, we might still be at Aquatica. And there might be no SSC, no WWn, no iScF. And while WWn, SSC, and iScF were/are all cool places, I honestly would give them all up to have us all back in pre-2001 AQT. And I'm sure that anyone else still around from back then would too.
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:21 pm

Although those of us not from the AQT era would rather maintain and strengthen the status quo. The current three major forums [yes there actually are 3, for some reason many love to ignore the smaller and third] have different atmospheres and cater to different people to a certain extent. The personalities of the admins on each board give the boards their own unique feeling. With just one forum, there is none of this individuality, there is only one way, one view, no alternatives. A single forum cannot cater to everyone effectively. If that were the case, then AQT would still be here.

Pre 2001 Aquatica may have been Utopian then, but it didn't last. Even if all of the above variables had not taken place, AQT would have fallen. Because after 2001 was a downhill spiral. Power may have not meant anything back then, but it does now, and that is all that matters. Problems would arise at a future central board. Enough discontent would create a new board. More discontent would give us back the current status quo. I know problems would pop up because they did in the past. And the past repeats itself.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:45 pm

Duxburian wrote: The current three major forums have different atmospheres and cater to different people to a certain extent. The personalities of the admins on each board give the boards their own unique feeling.

True. I fell alot better and less treatend posting at SM, simply because the atmosphere is better, and there is more freedom. Of course all this can be solved with a simple poll.

Another thing: Every time this argument comes up, I hear the word "webring" used. A couple months ago Maruader 4 said he would start one has that plan been canceld.
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 pm

All webrings, awards, and other such concepts have been postponed. This is currently a period of retraction and recession, those ideas are no longer workable.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:44 am

the atmosphere is better, and there is more freedom.

That depends on your point of view and how you define "better" and "freedom". SM is less strict, but that is only because it is smaller and doesn't need to be strict. SSC is the biggest forum and therefore the most strict.