Is This a Fake?

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
zeda.beta

Re: Is This a Fake?

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I can definately identify the fakes after only a month or so of ebay searching, and they all look very similar. @Juch: So do they contain CPS chambers, or are they strictly air guns? The former would seem very easy to increase power with, the latter, not so much.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:04 pm

It's a pressurized reservoir gun. It doesn't have a cap because the reservoir is screw-off. Almost all fakes are PR. A fake that was actually CPS would be worth buying.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm

That's why I'm suggest potiential modding. I think these blasters have areas inside the internal, if you just add some pipe and a case, you could make it CPS or something.

I'm not sure how well these could work, but it's just a thought. They only cost like $5 and there's one with a nozzle selector.

Super Blaster 3000

Air pressure, 25 feet of range, 2 nozzles, and it looks like a CPS 2100.
Last edited by JuchTurtles on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 pm

It could be possible to convert it to a CPS or AP gun, but it would probably give the same performance as any stock CPS gun of its cost.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Aren't most fakes just squirt guns that you can find at the dollar store?

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 am

Sometimes, but other times they can be piston guns, a.k.a. stream machines, and I even saw a CPS knockoff that was AP.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 pm

steelboot wrote:The reason Hasbro isn't releasing blasters of high power is because they have realized that 95% of their target market doesn't care about power, and will buy any water gun they put on the market as long as it shoots.
But Larami used to to get people to care about power. Really, it's that 95% of the market is clueless. It's not hard for advertising to promote more powerful blasters. Hasbro just aren't bothering. Probably because SS is just one brand to them, and one that's not even very important. I can see the SS brand being abandoned, being replaced by "NERF Hydro" or something. I wonder if the 2010 line is in fact the WORST Super Soaker line yet.

Most of the big knock-offs are air pressure. Puny internal tubing will make their performance crap. If you're buying one to 'mod', I doubt you'll use any more than the shell and maybe the reservoir. Given the shells are likely to be of shoddy construction, it may not be worth it.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 pm

They already branded the Super Soaker line with the Nerf tag, the next step they are going to take is to convince the public that water guns that look cool are better then the ones that are actually powerful.

And yes, it would be a pain to use inferior soaker parts in a homemade, even if they are just the shell and the tubing.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:57 pm

To me, its just a thought. There was a 26" one of these that looked like a CPS 4100 and had 4 nozzles (selector).

It may not be easy and/or worth it, but you could make it work, and maybe it would be good.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:36 pm

It could be great, but you probably have a 85% chance of getting a gun that is worthless, except for a pump.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 pm

That is what I use most knock-offs for, but even then, you have to be sure it is a seperate pressure chamber gun. I do not know how to convert a PR pump into a seperate pressure chamber pump, but it would probably be a pain in the neck

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 am

Thinking back at it, 2010 probably is indeed the worst line when you exclude the years where they didn't release anything new. 2003 had the Max-D Secret Strike and two of the three EES's were pressurized. 2008 gets very close to being the worst with the small collection of the Quick Blast, Secret Strike, Sneak Attack, and Bottle Shot. This year none of the blasters are pressurized except for the two-pack of pistols that are as small as but still sub-par to the XP215.

The whole tactical Nerf style only adds insult to injury.

@Zeda: Last time I checked, powerful guns have always tended to look cooler. The CPS 2500 looks much cooler than any of their new blasters. You do have a point though; this year they're trying to sell out the SS line with Nerf.

I don't think it makes much of a difference for us, the water warring community. BBT appears to be continuing to create better blasters than SS and for some older (2005-2007) SS's that are actually decent, Hasbro simply cannot afford to cut them off seeing as to how well they do. (particularly the Flash Flood and Arctic Blast) The popularity of the FF and AB attest that people do care about power, they are just too generally ignorant and don't have any reason/motivation to look into the whole deal with water blasters. (And cannot be blamed for that; for example people generally don't become experts in cars and engineering to get the best deal on a vehicle.)

The fakes have been around for a while as opportunist toy companies in places like China have found it to be profitable business. (or so it seems; on eBay it doesn't look profitable but they probably sell many to other sources) If they started making more fakes like the Super Shooter 2000 (CPS 1000 replica), they may even be able to grab the tiny enthusiast market (us) but it's probably not worth it to them.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Does the Super Shooter 2000 use actual CPS technology? If it does, then I might have to get one just to review.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 am

The Super Shooter 2000 is known to be an exact copy of the CPS 1000, the only good copy. It uses CPS tech.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 am

I don't have to look for one though, cuz i just got an acutal CPS 1000. But maybe I will tell my friends to get them, they might be useful.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.