DC area war 2010

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
SSCBen

Re: DC area war 2010

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

If M4 might be okay for July, I think that a day in July would work best.

I'll do some research into appropriate parks in the area. DX, if you're aware of any around American University that might be good, feel free to post about them. :)
Silence wrote:Ben, I've been fine, what about you? Good to see everyone's still around, and hopefully I won't completely disappear next time I enter the bubble that is college life.
I'm not as busy as I was a few weeks ago, but I'm still in that state of mind.

This summer I'm doing research in a university lab about sensors based on fly ears. This is a fairly interesting project; I should start the actual work on it relatively soon.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Fort Reno is pretty much across the street. However, that's a more conventional "park". There's a lot of options in the capital, from that kind of park to bigger, wilder places like Rock Creek Park. I can scout out potential places in the area.

Also, Ben, do you want to hang out sometime this weekend? I would have mentioned it last week, but realized you're probably not at College Park during the summer...which would be a shame because it's an easy metro ride from here.

Let me know.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:38 am

I live in College Park at the moment. In July I'll move to Berwyn Heights (same zip code). ;)

Hanging out would be nice. I'm a little busy this weekend, but I'll give you my phone number and you could text me. I'll be helping my brother move into the house in Berwyn Heights and attending a discussion with Christopher Hitchens.
Last edited by SSCBen on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:58 am

Hitchens... I've read a bit of one of his books and seen a few of his discussions online. Is the discussion on politics or religion?

Currently, there will most likely be 3 other friends coming along with me. Most likely we'll find lodging but I'll have to see. I could also stay around DX's location perhaps, I don't know yet.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:49 am

The talk/Q&A/discussion/whatever-it-is should focus on both politics and religion, as well as other things in Hitchens' life. I don't agree with everything he says, but I do think he's an interesting character and I wouldn't turn down the chance to see him.

Good to hear that you might be coming C-A_99. I'll visit a few possible places this weekend... the main problem is availability of water. You can't always verify whether a park has a hose online.

DX, would you be interested in attending a Nerf war on July 3rd? I'm organizing one. Post here if you are interested.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 am

If our water war's July 4th (though I have doubts about that since people often do something on Independance Day), I could also go to the Nerf war. I don't have really great weaponry for it though and I'd have to work on something. (I have a CPVC'd Nitefinder, CPVC'd AT2k w/ leaky check valve, and CPVC'd Maverick to go; the rest of my Nerf collection is stock and my Stefans are terrible.)

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:59 am

Someone can probably spot you. I have a Maximizer and a Maxshot, but both are kinda broken. They do fire, but the cocking mech in both doesn't catch most of the time. The Max is also kinda in two. A first attempt at a fix the first time it broke didn't work, so I split it open again. They are beyond my knowledge to repair. I also have an RSCB 2K.

I would pay Ben to take a stab at them, BTW

I can most likely attend at this point.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I have a few AT3K's, and I still don't get why they are so wanted. The range is mediocre and the pumping takes awhile.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 pm

The AT series are amongst the most moddable of Nerf blasters. With a 10-minute mod, you can make one get well over 100ft of range. Basically, they are comparable to the CPS 1200 in moddability (though Nerf guns in general are much moddable than water blasters) and comparable to the Max-D 6k in stock performance.

Because the AT's are no longer available, people have taken up the Shot Blast to mod. It has a similar air chamber and layout, but the main problem is having to add a trigger. Still, once that's done, adding a barrel and other parts is fairly easy. Thus why the NIC kept better tabs on water blaster releases and knew about the Shot Blast and Vanquisher sooner than anyone of the water warring community. (Though they're also a larger community and may have several important connections.)

marauder_4

Post by marauder_4 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I can't imagine that I will be working all July. My official work dates are the 11th-25th but I was told that I will be working prior to and after that with set up and breakdown of the training site. Not sure how much longer, but I imagine that I'd know soon.
I need to get my nerf guns up and ready again, I like Nerf but have never been to a real war. In other news, I bought the SS 50 20th anniversary edition last year for $18, had fun with it, tested it out for Hydrowar, and now sold it for $25 on ebay haha.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Alright, I'm finally able to weigh in on this.

A friend from Tennessee is coming to visit on the weekend of July 17-18 so I definitely won't be able to make it that weekend.

The weekend after (July 24-25) is a bit sketchy as well since my friend may still be around. I marked it as unavailable until I can be absolutely sure that I'm able to attend at that time.

The weekend of July 31st to Aug 1st gets to grey territory since I'm unsure what my friends will be doing then.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 pm

It looks like July 11th is the most agreeable. Right now I'll plan for that. I still need to choose a park.

Lake Artemesia is where my Nerf war is going to be held, but I don't think it's a very good location for a water war because the only source of clean water are a water fountain and bathrooms.

I'll check out a few other parks in the area to see what would be best.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 pm

I'll have to see if I can ask M4 again since he specifically said that he begins working on the 11th. On the other hand, I have serious doubts that I can get the 24-25th free. Most likely my friend's friends (who will also be attending the war) will be hanging around the days following up to the weekend and may not have time to prepare.

I should be good with the 11th though. If all goes as planned, I'll come as a group of 4; me and three friends who frequent my wars or have done so in the past.

As for water weaponry, I highly doubt I can pack my whole armory but I could probably pack enough so that those who are coming can borrow some. It all depends on the vehicle we end up using since obviously we need to bring baggage, and other items.

If we never have any use for secondary weaponry (i.e. Max-D 6k, Flash Flood, etc.) I will probably not bring them. Right now I'm considering bringing the following

Primaries:
CPS 10k, (2) 12k, 21k (2700 is large to pack and not as useful)
CPS 2500/2000 (either just the 2500 or both) if my friend lets me borrow them, chances are I can and will just borrow the 2500 as a few of my CPS's aren't the most reliable around.
CPH + Backpack (as a heavy water supply)

Sidearms: Max-D 2k, (2) Max-D 3k, (2) WW Hornet, +my friend's Storm 750

Secondaries (that are being considered): Tiger Shark, Vindicator, Max-D 6k, (1 or 2) Flash Flood

I may also need to bring along some rubber bands, screwdrivers, silicone lube, and epoxy putty to take care of any on-demand repairs. I hope not to have to though and chances are if we need a weapon, we can borrow one. =)

Last but not least, I've considered lugging the LPD around, mostly to test and show but perhaps I could work with Ben to fix the problems with it. Perhaps Ben could bring over the Supercannon II also for show? =D

I've also gotten the itch to bring along a WBL, particularly my 50mm breech loaded launcher. It should be able to fit into any minivans if I trim the barrel down and disassemble the launcher. Assembly is a real pain though. Of course, I could also bring the 76mm launcher that used to be an exact Douchenator before I cut it up and turned it into an over-under setup.

I'm just speculating though. In the end, bringing any water weaponry too large is probably a bad idea.

VAJMH

Post by VAJMH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm

I have a friend thats interesested in going, so this would definitely be possible for me. August looks to be best.
Personal Collection: Monster X, Monster XL, Helix, Triple Shot, Aquapack Devastator, Liquidator, Arctic Shock, Shot Blast, Splazhzooka
Super Soaker 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 100, 200, MDS, Bow & Arrow
XP 20, 35, 55, 70, 75, 85, 105, 110, 150, 175, 250, 270, 275, 310
CPS 1000, 1200, 1350(1-3-5), 1500, 2000, 2100, 2500, 2700, 3000, 4100

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:03 am

Alright, July 11th sounds good so far but I'll have to verify with of my friends. Someone else just dropped out so we have three people total who will come, leaving more space in the car for me to bring my 50mm if anyone wants to check out the breech on it. The weekend of July 24th should be open as well; I have to check with the same friend, but I'm almost certain that that weekend should be clear.

VAJMH, can you weigh in on the poll and indicate how early you can make it? If enough people can't have it as early as July 11th, we may be able to push it a bit later. Of course, at those points, we risk the chance that someone has something suddenly coming up and is unable to attend.

I will update the Doodle accordingly as I get more info from friends.

Edit: Since it looks like VAJMH and M4 can't make it for most of July, it's probably best to move it up to the July 31st/Aug 1st weekend. As for me, I just need to verify that my friends are good with that new time (which I'm almost certain should be) and that'll be it.

Edit: Things are falling apart again for my group. If one more person drops out, we may not even be able to go unless I can somehow drive well enough for a 10 hour road trip in one month and my parents let me. The person who may drop out says he doesn't want to spend a single penny on the trip so I need to see what I can do. (And I doubt one person can drive for 10 hours non-stop, though perhaps there may be another way.)

I'll update later as I find out more. This was a pretty crazy prospect in the first place so it shouldn't be surprising at all that I may have to drop out.

Edit: I think it's safe to say that I won't be able to make it anymore (though I haven't talked anymore to friends, but it's really not the greatest idea right now), but if something happens otherwise, I'll let everyone know.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.