New Role Playing Thread (RP)

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

New Role Playing Thread (RP)

Post by DX » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

As suggested by iSoaker, I've moved this to SSC. We had one back in February here, but I really enjoy these, so how about a new one? For those who don't know, an RP is a chance to create (a) character(s) in a fictional world where you can fight water wars against enemies of all sorts. Usually, players start out alone and team up to fight a common foe.

If there is interest, I will post a map and my character profile tonight.

Template for profiles:

Name:
Nicknames:
Height:
Weight:
Appearance/Clothing:
Physical Characteristics:
Personality:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Primary Weapon:
Secondary/Backup:
Sidearm:
Other Weapons:
Gear:
Has access to:
Player History:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

martianshark

Re: New Role Playing Thread (RP)

Post by martianshark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Name: Bubba
Nicknames: Martianshark
Height: Who cares? 17-year-old height.
Weight: 100 lbs
Appearance/Clothing: camo shirt and pants
Physical Characteristics: ?
Personality: Inventor and Turtle
Strengths: Has CPS 1500 and Vanquisher, strong and tough enough to carry several largish weapons at once, knows how to hide and sometimes likes to ambush.
Weaknesses: Vanquisher is kind of weak, hasn't had too much experience, not very tactical and doesn't realize some things until it's too late.
Primary Weapon: CPS 1500
Secondary/Backup: Vanquisher
Sidearm: Splat Blaster
Other Weapons: Syringe gun, some APHs, Renegade, Pulse Master, SS 50 20th Anniversery, Liquidator, XP 70, CPS 1000, Hornet
Gear: Water Bottles, water balloons, camo, knife, WB packet, walkie talkies, etc.
Has access to: His house, his treehouse, his aurmory, his friend's house.
Player History: Thought things like "The Max-D 2000 is so awesome" and "All Super Soakers use pressurized reservoirs" until he discovered SSC and learned everything about water guns. Collected several water guns, although most of them are rather side arm-ish and not that big. He has contacted several factories in hopes that he can have them build something for him, but so far has had no success. In the mean time, he has been experimenting with homemades.
Last edited by martianshark on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 pm

This may very well be one of the last few chances I can hop into one of these if people stop doing them. It's been years and I've never done one so why the heck not this time...

Name: Eric
Nicknames: Soaker Toast
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 150
Appearance/Clothing: T-shirt/shorts w/ pockets, or camo
Physical Characteristics: Average build, average height
Personality: Quiet
Strengths: Stealthy, intuitive, has good natural sense of what to do
Weaknesses: Lone-wolf type; does not take much initiative nor work with the team much
Primary Weapon: CPS 10k
Secondary: XP310 w/ nozzle drill (not used unless primary is not used)
Sidearm: WW Barracuda, WW Hornet
- Note: Almost stubbornly refuses to use anything with Max-D triggers due to their odd feel and noise.
Other Weapons: Sometimes uses CPS 1500 and 12k. Dislikes the large, long profile of cylinderical PC CPS's.
Gear: Carries unfilled water balloons (rarely carries filled WB's due to lack of reliable equipment for securing them) and up to 4 .5L refill bottles.
Has access to: Ghillie suits, paint, workshop for repair. Mostly unfamiliar with homemades but can perform common mods and repairs to most blasters. Also has access to a small local park (fairly wooded) for practice and small wars.
Eric's father has access to a private helicopter, two quiet but small motorboats, and two ATV's. His father is also experimenting with various "futuristic" water weaponry due to a previous interest in water warfare. (Thus it is unusual that Fred has no experience building homemades.)
Player History: Started off with water warfare when his family was fed up with his excessive gaming and had him join their outdoor soakfests. He got an Overload and due to disappointment with it's performance, he nearly gave up on water warfare until stumbling upon iSc and SSC on Google. He read some information on SS product history and eventually went to collecting CPS's. After several eBay and garage sales, along with tedious, poorly done repairs, he had a small armory just large enough for 4 players.

He proceeded to dominate the neighborhood's soakfests until later he needed something new. No more meaningless soakfests. Unfortunately, he only mustered up 3 others who would play in serious water wars. During this time, the group of 4 became very skilled and amassed a considerably large armory. His father's mysterious water weaponry projects were progressly but Fred didn't pay much attention to them and currently no one knows what they are.

Eric is currently looking for a larger group of serious water warriors to join but some doubt how well he'll be able to adjust to new teams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now regarding maps, I personally don't like the average 2D maps too much. If you don't mind, I can work something up in a game (in 3D obviously) and take a whole large batch of screenshots. Illustrations like weapon locations, players, etc. can then be drawn over these screenshots to explain the situations later.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 am

Profile changed

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:10 am

Name: Drake
Nicknames: DX, Duxburian (older)
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 135-138
Appearance/Clothing: Black T-shirts, jeans, running shoes, long hair, very battle scarred, rugged, and weary-looking
Physical Characteristics:
Personality: Aggressive, tactical, intelligent, independent, dedicated, loyal
Strengths: Agility, reflexes, speed, night vision, vast knowledge and experience fighting water wars
Weaknesses: Unstable energy, unstable sleeping patterns, subject to high stress, often impatient, cocky, prone to taking dangerous risks, paranoid
Primary Weapon: 12K [80 balloons, 54-59ft]
Secondary: 21K [95 balloons, 57-62ft]
Sidearm: Defender [1/3 nozzle drilled, 43ft]
Other Weapons: Douchenator [mobile G1 version, 200-400ft], Max-D 5000 [reservoir expanded, used for field-filling only], lacrosse stick
Gear: Backpack, extra water, maps/charts, radio, duct tape, unfilled 200 packs of water balloons, several cans that can hold up to 4 filled balloons, bike pump, toolkit, survival kit, tactical kit (includes real and fake IDs, lock picks, keys, passports, licenses, license plates, shooting charts, etc.)
Has access to: 20' sailboat and any vehicle that he can steal/start. Drake is a free-roaming Captain of the Maritime Militia and is capable of summoning its 5 strike teams if necessary. Also has a personal arsenal with many rare and powerful guns stored in Militia bases.
Player History: Drake has existed in 9 RPs under other aliases. Dropped his alias of "Lewis" after the defeat of the Expeditioners in the previous RP left him with some nasty enemies. Regrew his hair and sailed off in search of new locations to explore. Drake is considered a legendary fighter in some parts of the world and is completely unknown in others. Considered a serious threat by teams seeking world domination due to past roles in bringing such organizations down.

---------------------------------------------------------
@C-A_99: Feel free to make a better map if you'd like. 3D screenshots sound sweet.

@All: Please keep the RP as realistic as possible. Characters can be badass, but within the boundaries of physics. Getting hit by water will work similarly to previous RPs - the more directly you get hit and the bigger the stream, the more it affects you. Drops/spray won't do anything, small streams may slow you down, medium streams may knock you back, big streams/riot blasts may knock you out. A point-blank shot from something powerful may be dangerous.

Oh and another reminder, story is always posted in bold. Normal text is considered to be out of character [OOC].

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 am

Regarding age, I choose rather arbitrarily. Nonetheless, I went for a younger character not quite in the college age yet. Age shouldn't matter; you could have a kid dual wield CPS 2500's for all we care.

I had a map I was working on in... Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 that I did some work on earlier. However, it is not finished and I'll have to get to it. Hopefully I can get it done within a few days; it doesn't take long to do but is more of a matter to doing it in the first place.

I'll have to read up on previous RP's to see how this goes... Regarding realism, the "secret projects" that Fred's father was working on will push the limits, but I will assure that they are physically possible. They may violate most reasonable water warfare safety regulations which will be the main possible issue.

Rather than going all out and making a badass character, I went with a character people may be able to identify with. I think the current condition of the community is reflected in Fred's story and struggles to have good water wars.

Edit: Here's a preview of what I was working on.

Yes, that's a watchtower with water/hose turrets. I can't get any actual faucets/hoses in though so these will have to do, and they do look more interesting. This is just a very small part of the map though; the whole thing will be fairly large and I'd say large enough for our purposes unless we want some big private island like last time. Then I'll have to restart and do something from the ground up on an even larger template. Perhaps next time I'll do something like that.

The watchtower occupies one game square. Currently the map is set to 192x192 game squares and a lot will not be occupied and truely used. (Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 supports up to 256x256 game squares.) I'd estimate each game square to be approximately 10'x10'. Some space on this map will act as a buffer to keep things looking pretty as the off-map land does not look that great.

The rest of the map will be heavily wooded and there will be a main trail in a circle around a lake. It'll all make sense when I finish getting the layout and buildings done. Unfortunately, I won't be able to detail the insides of the buildings for now but if people really want the buildings to be "useable", let me know and what I'll do is have seperate pictures to depict the buildings. Most likely they will simply be 2D drawings though I could try to work something up in The Sims 2. The buildings will be fairly small except for the one depicted in the preview I just showed. Also, there will eventually be more vegetation and cover around the area you just saw so hold on.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Cool.

Are we allowed to start using our characters yet, or do we have to wait for it to start or something?

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:26 am

It would be nice to have more than 3 players...though we can introduce more characters to make up for that. You don't have to control just one. And I agree with C-A_99 that age doesn't really matter, the characters can have whatever characteristics you feel like giving them. I gave Drake another year (he was 21 in the previous RP) to show passage of time since then.

You could post some background of the character or actions they are taking or something that draws them to this location. No specific enemy has been created yet and the map is not done, so there are limited things that can be posted so far.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 am

We can have more than one character?

Name: Mike
Nicknames: Factory Guy, Sir, Boss
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 200 lbs
Appearance/Clothing: suit or street clothes (depending on what he's doing)
Physical Characteristics: ?
Personality: Happy, good imagination
Strengths: Owns "Mike's Manufacturing" factory, and is smart
Weaknesses: Doesn't normally participate in water wars; basically just an ordinary guy
Primary Weapon: Does happen to own a CPS 2100, but that's it
Secondary/Backup: none
Sidearm: none
Other Weapons: none
Gear: none
Has access to: His house, his factory, his garage, his shed, his car.
Player History: Always dreamed of owning a factory, and finally made one when he grew up. So far, that's pretty much it. His factory mostly builds different kinds of toys.

By the way, what are we going to do for maps for different people's houses and stuff?

By the way, I think there's a few too many water turrets especially around that brick building
Last edited by martianshark on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:36 am

The map still doesn't have a name but it'll most likely be Camp WaterWarfare. The main building you see in the picture is fortified heavily and acts as one of the bases (minus inside the building) and there are many small buildings on dirt trails out of this area into the woods. Overall the map is basically like any camp you'll see around with various lodging buildings, trails (here there will be only dirt trails, no pavement), forest, etc. It'll make more sense as I put the thing together. This setup makes most sense for assault/defend games, but I will be putting another building almost as large as the one shown into the woods across the map which will accomodate a base to base type of setup. The problem is, this map is only ideal for at least 6v6 due to it's fairly large size. (Though it pales in comparison to the mile long places that DX has played in.)

If we get a 4th participant, we could have two people manage one team and two manage the other. In the meantime I'll create another profile.

Name: Joe
Nicknames: Riot Ranger
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 165
Appearance/Clothing: Camo-woodland.
Physical Characteristics: Slightly large, fairly strong.
Personality: Somewhat aggressive but controlled.
Strengths: Great leader, able to wield variety of water weaponry.
Weaknesses: Sometimes clumsy and does not have the best situational awareness around. Occassionally gets into conflict with other players.
Primary Weapon: CPS 2500
Secondary/Backup: Umbrella shield (reinforced to withstand WB's and deploy faster; has shorter handle than most umbrellas)
Sidearm: Flash Flood
Other Weapons: Generally dislikes air pressure and prefers CPS based soakers. Has several Monsters and most of the CPS line, including a CPS 1500 adapted for backpack use.
Gear: Backpack for supplies and occassional backpack modified blaster. Carries screwdrivers, 5-minute epoxy putty, a utility knife, and a portable combined drill/dremel tool. Carries a machette for going through vegetation. Also carries 4 .5L bottles in pockets along with unfilled water balloons. Filled balloons are stored in the front pouch of the backpack which can carry 3. Repair equipment is usually dropped off in a safe location.
Has access to: A small workshop for intensive mods/repairs/homemades. Also has a small armory as described above.
Player History: Has played for two years with Fred and they are fairly good friends. He participated in a few sports in school before eventually dropping them in favor of spending more time on water warfare. Joe has spent more time repairing older blasters and is currently working on a CPH.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 am

BTW, every RP except the very first featured the players fighting some kind of NPC enemy like the Tempests, Expeditioners, etc. It is very difficult to have live players fight each other, hence why that was abandoned after the first RP.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm

For PvP RPing, a "Battle Arena" style thing can work well. No overall plot, people just have text-based battles.
However, while that works well with fantasy and sci-fi settings, where one can do crazy stuff, I'm not sure it would be so good if limited by realism.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat May 01, 2010 8:29 pm

I have seen these threads, but never got around to joining one before, so here it is.

Name: Joop
Nicknames: Zeda
Height: Around 5' 4"
Weight: 52 kg
Personality:He is easy to anger, but becomes more determined when angry.
Strengths: Accurate, agile, and smart.
Weaknesses: Doesn't work well in a group.
Primary Weapon: MD6K/CPS 1000/XP 275
Secondary/Backup: Liquidator/XP 20
Sidearm: XP 220/240
Other Weapons: Storm 500, Aquapak Devestator, Storm 750, XP 150.
Gear: WBL (Over under style), Fireworks, smoke bombs, assorted distration devices.
Has access to: An ATV, and an off road go-kart
Player History: Not much can be uncovered about his past.
Last edited by zeda.beta on Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 am

Name: Juch
Allie/Teamate: EBA
Weight: 125 lbs.
Height: 5'6"
Personality: Can be very loud, a natural leader with high ability.
Weapons Sets: 1: CPS 2500, CPS 12K (60 balloons), and XP 270
2: CPS 12K, Vanquisher, and Vindicator
3: Vanquisher and XP 270
Strengths: Offensive, Strong, Tactical
Weaknesses: Somebody's in Trouble, Trigger-Happy
Resources: Backpack full of supplies
Past History: Participated in last RP, a participate in camp.

Name: EBA
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 225
Primary weapon: CPS 1500
Secondary: MD2
Last edited by JuchTurtles on Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 pm

I apologize for being slow and lazy with the map as I haven't been doing much work on it until just the past few days, but it's still coming along. At this point I just need to put a ton of vegetation on the map, but there are huge areas that aren't being used and I'd really like to fill those up but it'll take more time to do that. I'll see what I can do.

Also, since the RP will deal with NPC enemies, it's likely that I may want to hide part of the map and reveal it only as the "good guys" move towards it. I have a good spot setup for a kind of "rebel base" far out into the woods of the camp.