Two Defense Ideas

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
zeda.beta

Re: Two Defense Ideas

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

With the umbrella, I feel that it would be possible to cut a piece of metal out of the shaft, near the tip but on the inside. Then you could run a tube through the cut window when you needed to use it as a water gun, and remove it when you wanted to use it as an umbrella.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 pm

JuchTurtles wrote:They're okay. We already knew about umbrellas being good shields, but the net sounds interesting.

Actually, this reminds me of one of my friends, he has this thing called a Diablo (it's like two dowels attached by a string). They throw this thing up and catch it on their strings.

Similar idea right?
I have a diablo and know what it is it isn't what you think. There are two sticks atatched by a string and the cylinder thing you spin. It's not similar because it's not a net just a string with an object rolling on it. Sorry if my explanation is bad

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:22 pm

I see where both of you are going, and yeah, the diablo is kind of like a net to catch the water balloons, as in that to be successful, the string or net needs to move with the object to catch it.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 pm

oh ok that makes sense. to spin it successfully you got to absorb the impact of the diablo. One side of the string goes up the other goes down to equalize the movement.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 pm

What's a diablo?

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Chernobyl wrote: There are two sticks atatched by a string and the cylinder thing you spin. It's not similar because it's not a net just a string with an object rolling on it. Sorry if my explanation is bad
Its a toy, also called a Chinese Yo-Yo where I live.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 am

You don't mean this:

Right? Are you talking about that vase-like thing on two strings?

How would you use that to catch water balloons?

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:39 am

At this point, I'd just suggest blocking the balloons with a decently sized shield. (any shield worth it's weight will not let a balloon splash onto the user) Or perhaps *gasp* you could simply dodge them! =O

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm

No, it is just an analogy to show how you are supposed to move the net with the water balloon so that it has a better chance of not popping.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:14 pm

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:42 am

Alright, now that I've seen what you're talking about, you definitely might as well just dodge the balloon! The time taken to learn just the basics of how to use those chinese yo-yo's could be much better spent improving your dodging.

That said, they're very cool with the tricks one can do with them. You can impress your team with one but it's not worth trying to catch water balloons with.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 am

I don't even understand how you can catch water balloons with it.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

RM and Waterbridge used lax sticks to hurl balloons in 2004, pre-Douchenator. You don't need to be a lax player for it to be effective, but you do need some practice. I remember Guderian missed me from about 10ft away in the 2nd war on Reed Hill. You can't rush it - you need to aim carefully, lock in the arm tension carefully, then apply hard force. It's more like priming a catapult than passing a ball.

A single umbrella isn't overpowered, but it does take 2 people to attack against one. With at least a 90 degree angle in positioning, one attacker uses a jump shot and the other uses a ducking shot, or an attacker provides covering fire while the other rushes in and gets around the side fast. You could potentially damage the umbrella, though.

I also find it much more worthwhile to dodge or use your gun to block balloons. Then again, if someone field-fills and whips out a balloon from close range, it is virtually impossible to dodge or block if you don't see it coming. In that scenario, your gun is your knee-jerk shield and probably your only hope.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Lewis, good to see you around. I was thinking an umbrella user could be taken out by one person with a well placed water balloon. That and the fact that the umbrella user will either have difficulty pumping a high-range soaker or be immobile which can be exploited.

I nearly completely forgot about gun blocking though, which is generally not the most effective method on streams but depending on the kill rules it can save you from a soak. Field filling can take some time (depending if the balloon has to be tied) but is well worth it if the enemy doesn't expect it and it catches them off guard.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Sorry for the confusion, but we were saying that you were supposed to use the net to catch the water balloons like you would use the diablo string apparatus to catch the yo-yo. It was only meant to be an analogy.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.