Water Warfare League Brainstorming

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
isoaker_com

Water Warfare League Brainstorming

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:06 am

Consider this thread the brainstorming thread on how to re-start Water Warfare League developments attempted last at WaterWarfare.com (those forums now considered in stasis mode).

To create a league is a major undertaking, but if it is divided up into pieces, each aspect of the development will be more bearable and more likely to be accomplished. I hope this current attempt at injecting life into League development thoughts will yield more fruit that previous attempts.

That said, I think before truly beginning, we need to lay out a roadmap of what things need to be developed and in what order. Below are some of my own initial thoughts, but am fully open to suggestions.

-------------------------------------------
1. Decide on some initial preferred game types (type of game, players needed i.e. teams or individuals, approx. durations)
2. Based on game types preferred, determine scoring or game-specific goals
3. Create rough draft of rules for each particular game type
4. Merge common rules into an overall basic rule set while having game specific rules available for each game
5. Have members and teams try out games based on draft of League rules; adjust rules depending on feedback
6. Eventually formalize game rules

Also need to develop membership guidelines, a logo, and some other things as well that could be developed at the same time, but the crux of the League foundation are the game rules, IMO.

Interested in helping build the League? Inject your thoughts and ideas below to help get this ball rolling again!

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

cantab

Re: Water Warfare League Brainstorming

Post by cantab » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am

Are you using 'League' to mean just an organisation, or to mean the type of competition (where everyone plays everyone else with points for winning), League as opposed to Cup.

If the latter, I doubt there will be enough teams within mutual travelling distance for it to work.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm

In this case, "League" is being used simply in the sense of an organization. There's no way to expect all League members to have to battle with every other League member. That said, if a good scoring system can be devised, while people may not be able to battle with all other members, point tallying might be one means to rank members if that were desired.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

For single players, you can use an Elo rating. However, that takes about 20 battles to 'settle'. You also need to bear in mind that if there are two disjunct groups where no-one in one has battled anyone in the other then the two groups cannot be compared.

You can use Elo for teams as well, but turnover means a team's strength can change faster than the ranking can really cope with.

Here is an explanation of an Elo-type system, and resulting scores:
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/assassins/arch ... oring.html
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/assassins/arch ... /scores.pl
That was in a week long 24-7 OHK 4-hour respawn game. It's worth bearing in mind that many people only had a handful of encounters, and that encounters where no-one got killed were not considered.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Interesting system, but more complex than it needs to be, IMO. I would expect most games sanctioned by the League would be shorter, playable over the course of an afternoon (or a day, at most). Games spanning multiple days would not be as common and could be broken down into sets with players or teams scoring tallied at the end of each day of play. With enough participants and games, players could eventually be ranked and put into different divisions based on skill level (which would be determined by initial points scored in the ranking games). It may not be as mathematically true at representing a specific player's strengths, but it'd also be easier to track whole number points and games played as opposed to also needing to track how a player earned a point and rate scores based on interacting players' strengths.