Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
MarsGlorious

Re: Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 am

Yes, I know about that. The Storm Knights page hasn't been updated for 3 years. I did mention that in the email.

I had another chat to R!OT (Apocalypse). He goes to the school and unsure whether the land even belongs to the school. It's barely used or even talked about. I dought they will care. It's practically free land. The ovals, on the other hand, are not. We won't use the ovals. ;)
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

MarsGlorious

Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield Water Supply

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Watertower Battlefield - Water supply

The best supply will probably be from water bottles that are taken into the field. However, I still think we can extract water from Watertower Lake and Brown Pond. We might even be able to extract it from the stream and the creek.

The problem is that the water isn't clean and is full of bugs. The tannin isn't good either. Storm mentioned that we could just use hand-held filters. However, I can't seem the find ones that suit our owe situation and are in our price range.

Here's some samples of the water:

Another option would be to get water from the buildings and the oval. For example; the toilet. That's not open all the time, so that could be a problem.

Wait a minute...
The toilet is not always open. That might be a problem! How do people go to the toilet. Although, the days that we would be there are days when lots of people have free time. Time when people use the oval and the toilets are open.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Just a note, the "toilet" would be known as a "restroom" in the American idiom. For a moment I thought you were actually going to use the toilet bowls. Gross! :p

A hiking store should carry small water filters and purifiers. You can get Brita-type bottles with filtering inserts. The only problem is it takes a while for the water to go through (and if you have a choice, obviously don't drink from it). A cheap mesh, foam, or furnace/laundry/etc. filter should work well enough on the clearer water.

It may be more convenient to just bring your own water. I'm sure the driving age there is higher than it is here, but fill up a tank of water and bring it along when you get dropped off.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:08 pm

the water sample on the left looks like someone urinated in the bottle. If you can find some kind of filter that would be great. The place where you got the sample on the right might be better like Silent mentioned.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 pm

I think you probably should get some simple filters. Water that dirty can hurt guns greatly. I wouldn't want to put that in any of my guns! A simple screen should get out most debris, and something like cheesecloth or a coffee filter after that.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Something simple like coffee filters and a funnel should be plenty adequate to remove most coloration and particulate matter. If not then the simplest thing would be to bring your own water. Big water containers aren't expensive.

Edit: Drenchenator beat me to it.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:28 am

Mars, don't you think you should post that picture, so that people can actually see the "watertower".
That photo should explain the name a lot better, as a matter of fact I cant see why you haven't already.
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 am

Authundir wrote:Mars, don't you think you should post that picture, so that people can actually see the "watertower".
That photo should explain the name a lot better, as a matter of fact I cant see why you haven't already.
Look on the first page. :rolleyes:
Ben wrote:Something simple like coffee filters and a funnel should be plenty adequate to remove most coloration and particulate matter. If not then the simplest thing would be to bring your own water. Big water containers aren't expensive.

Edit: Drenchenator beat me to it.
I agree. The water is mainly full of tiny insects, a little bit of dirt and algae. This is a good sign. It mains the water isn't toxic or polluted. However, I'm not running through any of my guns. The brown is tannin. It should be a problem. It's part of our diet.

P.S. Ben you have 5600 posts. Drenchenator has 600. Losing one won't hurt you very much. :D
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:54 am

Not that one, I didn't actually see the watertower in it.
I was actually meaning the other one
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:59 am

Until a few days ago I lived in northern New Jersey, I've seen worse as far as water quality goes - at least that dirty water looks like it's naturally dirty. Sometimes my local brook water went totally orange or green, depended on the type of chemicals that were being washed into it. I wouldn't be too concerned about water that is off-color just because of say the source having a lot of silt. Water around here in Easton tends to be kinda brownish from the dirt, but it's really really clean. Just make some kinda simple filter from household materials as people have suggested above and bring in some water of your own [cache larger supplies].

The cover looks excellent, though I'd be careful in there [no rolling through bushes and things cause who knows what nasties could be in there]. Ridgewood was so developed and polluted/chemicalized/is-that-a-word over time that there were not even any ticks in the woods. Should be fine if you know what you're doing.

What's the scale on that place? It does indeed appear to be larger in total area than what I used to fight in, though maybe not as long [which is a good thing for your legs lol]. Of course knowing me, there's no such thing as a battlefield that is too big [you should see the place I've got right in my backyard, we're talking hundreds of acres I didn't know were next to the 128 acres that I already knew about].

Good luck, hope you get to fight there soon! :cool:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:29 am

The Research Golf-ball can be seen from the field and gives the field its name.

The water is quite clean. It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as the water you're describing, DX. The battlefield is located on the edge of suburban Melbourne and is relatively free of chemicals. The brown colour (US Spelling=color) in the water samples, is tannin (from the gum trees). Me and Authundir joked about them being urine samples. Authundir, having the browner sample, was more dehydrated. I'm not worried about the tannin. It's the tiny bugs and dirt that will clog up our weaponry. Simple filters will do.

Also, I'm not worried about snakes. They're practically everywhere, but they're really good at hiding. They know how to stay out of the way. It's been years since I last saw one.

The land is 0.25 square kilometers (65 acres). It's quite big. Not as big as what you've got. However, we're not too interested in size. It's a bonus. We are looking for landscape dynamics. Timbermine Battlefield (the last battlefield we looked at) is 340 acres (1.4 square kilometers). It was too big and wasn't very dynamic. This battlefield has a lake, two valleys, two hills, a creek and a little cave. :rolleyes:

Here's some more pictures of the field:

Little Cave:

Lake Tangle:
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:33 pm

Nice. Thanks for the pictures!

The last one in particular is beautiful, except for the bags or whatever they are. It's summer here and still not so pleasant.

Ben: It may be better for the team forums to be subforums of the water wars one, and to get rid of the Team Registry forum. Currently, all the important team information is here, which is good in one sense (it's public, whereas a forum could be private), but that means you're duplicating information. It might make more sense to have somebody ask for a forum (and only group members can start threads) and then have an informational sticky there. I don't know.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 am

Yeah, that's another thing. The place is really beautiful right now. The gum trees contrast well with the green grass. The bags are stupid. The school and the council have planted a few seedlings to revegetate the area. The bags are there to protect the seedlings. They're stupid because they cost more than the seedlings themselves. They're also ugly and they often forget to remove them, when the seedling becomes a tree. :confused:

I found out what the battlefield is. It's what we thought, an environmental reserve, and it's owned by a mixture of the private school and the council.
I dought they will have any problem with us using it. :)
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.