Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
MarsGlorious

Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:42 am

As you may already know, the Thunderwars Union (the combined power of Dark Apostles [DA] and Blood Dragons [BD]) has been searching for a new battlefield, and at last we may have found one. It has been christened; Watertower Battlefield, because of the water tower that can be seen from various parts of the battlefield. :cool:

Here's a satellite image:
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

Silence

Re: Thunderwars - Watertower Battlefield

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 am

Nice.

Do you have any pictures of the battlefield? If it's anything like my area there won't be any leaves in winter, so I don't mind waiting half a year for better pictures.

Anyway, have fun. Looks unique enough for me!

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:26 am

the image isn't clickable = can't see full size.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 am

Sometimes you can figure out the URL of a full size image from the URL of the thumbnail. Here you can remove the .th part to get a working full size image: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/852/ ... weruj2.png

Nice looking field. It has a good mix of forest and open space that should be interesting. The pond on the center should spice things up too.

Any pictures from ground level I'd be interested in seeing. :)

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:53 am

Sometimes you can figure out the URL of a full size image from the URL of the thumbnail.
I didn't think of that but should have known that. haha.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:34 pm

URL hacking's fun, but I'm not too familiar with ImageShack URLs. I guess I should have looked at a linked image.

Mars, what type of trails run through those woods? Is the brush in between trails passable? Also, what sense of scale can we expect?

What type of field is in the bottom right? I don't expect you'll have access to the cricket grounds, but the other one looks weird. It looks like another cricket field next to some stands, but I'm not sure what the gray pie piece is.

For anybody who want to see a larger picture, plug "2 Crest Road, Melbourne VIC, Australia" into Google Maps. Click on the little arrow to minimize the sidebar and (in Firefox) press F11 to get fullscreen.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:56 pm

I've had to do the URL trick quite a few times on iSoaker when he forgets to link his thumbnails. =p

Is your team going to go through that whole area? Thats freaking huge. (though probably nowhere near the size of where Ridgewood and WaterBridge played)

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm guessing the 'gray pie piece' is where the turf has been lifted for some reason. Possibly google snapped it just as they were renewing the surface or something.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Firstly, Australian gum trees don't lose their leaves. It is actually greener during winter and spring. The dry summer causes the grass to die off.

Secondly, I was a bit surprised to find that vbullitin doesn't deal with images very well. That image is meant to be much bigger. I have heaps of other photos and more to talk about.

The oval on the left, is an Australian Rules Football Field. The oval on the right, is for soccer. We did a bit of research to find out who owns the woodlands. It was difficult to tell whether anyone owned it. It has paths, a few fences and signs. Like a park or reserve. However, it all seems to be forgotten and unused. We found out that it belongs to the private school that owns the ovals. One of the guys in the Thunderwars Union goes to the school and says that the school barely uses/cares about it anymore. I am pretty sure they won't have a problem with us using it. They only really care about the ovals.

Also, don't forget Timbermine. I checked out that battlefield and found it to be too large and difficult to supply. The place is truly enormous. You walk in there and feel like your lost in the bush. It was too dry and there was no nearby water supply. Not even a creek or pond. The closest taps were ages away. It was just too big and too dry.

Watertower is different. It has a lake that can be seen in image. It's not a pond. This lake is being used to irrigate the ovals. It is quite large and should be a great water source. The field also have a pond, a creek and a small stream. We'd like to keep most of the battles around the lake. That doesn't mean we won't use the rest. :cool:

Watertower Lake

Brown Pond (the pond)
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 am

cantab wrote:I'm guessing the 'gray pie piece' is where the turf has been lifted for some reason. Possibly google snapped it just as they were renewing the surface or something.
I don't know what that is. I think it's concrete.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 am

I guess I was wrong about the ovals.

That's a wicked battlefield - a lake, woods, a trail, and even a bit of an incline. Thanks for all the pictures! :cool:

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am

Silent Guy, What do you mean by a bit of an incline? :D

I have only talked about parts of the battlefield. It is split into two regions; Lakegrounds Region and Wilderness Region. The pictures are all in the relatively flat Lakegrounds. There are two valleys in the battlefield, and at parts, are quite steep. Here are a few photos of the Wilderness Region.

Down onto the creek

Deep in the Wilderness Region

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:32 pm

I can't wait to fight on this battlefield. When Mars and I went there for the first time, ithough it was going to be another disapointment, like timbermine. How wrong I was.
This place has almost the prefect amount of cover, especially in the Lakegrounds area. This amount of cover gives people wielding smaller blasters a chance against our higher end CPS's. To clear up some confusion, the ridgewood and waterbridge battlefields aren't all that big, at least according to google maps. They are nowhere near the size of this place, from what I gather. Anyway though, I don't know what everyone else describes as huge so.... :rolleyes:

Storm,
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm

This place is big, but I think we should ask DX if it is bigger than their battlefields. It's bigger than Goffle Park. :cool:

Hey Storm, I just emailed Tattsy. The leader of the Storm Knights. The only team registered on the Isoaker registry that is located in the Melbourne region.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:25 am

MarsGlorious wrote: I just emailed Tattsy. The leader of the Storm Knights. The only team registered on the Isoaker registry that is located in the Melbourne region.
nice going Mars, I tried that about a year ago but my emails kept getting bounced, well done (if you get a response)

As for the battlefield it is awesome.
some of the areas are full of really dense cover, especially around the lake.
The only two potential problems that I can see with it are...

i) snakes - and we all know that australia is full of them. as a matter of fact Austalia has tonnes of wildlife that can kill you in very nasty ways.(we've even got plants that can kill in roughly 3-4 minutes)

ii) legal issues - the area is "Technically" private property so there is potential for something bad to happen that way, although local sport clubs and the general public are allowed to play on the ovals out of school hours.

these can both be greatly reduced anyway and they don't seem to stop the fact that this place is so awesome that it hurts the back of your eyes.

@mars, are the storm knights even together still? that page on isoaker has been there for yonks.
also I'm re-re-designing the dark apostles insignia.
(or should that be re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-designing)

this post has been a bit longer than I indended so sorry for that, I just haven't posted in a while as I have been a bit side-tracked. (I think that the words "The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion" should speak for themselves)
- Authundir
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.