Thunderwars Rules Video

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
MarsGlorious

Re: Thunderwars Rules Video

Post by MarsGlorious » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 pm

I think we should do a gameplay footage video. Like that one that DX put on youtube.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:02 am

Except that none of the footage in DX's one was actual gameplay. His whole thing was staged. But yes, I agree in game footage would be the best for capturing the atmosphere of our wars.
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:29 am

I love war videos so anything like that would be great. Get someone you know to make a video from some vantage point and be sure to put the camera is some water resistant container in case they have to survive a fire (er... water) fight. ;)

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:36 am

StormGlorious wrote:Except that none of the footage in DX's one was actual gameplay. His whole thing was staged. But yes, I agree in game footage would be the best for capturing the atmosphere of our wars.
Well, they probably did that because it's quite hard to get good in-game footage. I think they did quite a good. Although, I thought the effects weren't necessary. :cool:

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:46 am

We could put the camera's inside some clear zip lock bags, like Isoaker did on his website.
@Mars- Maybe a good vantage point at your house could be the roof, or the tangle or even Blood Plateau.
@everyone- Do you think that the cameraman should be a soldier or a nuetral person?
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 am

War correspondents are non-combatants.

You can get waterproof cases for some still cameras, or even waterproof cameras themselves. Video might be a bit tricker though - that said nowadays most digital cameras take OK video (good enough for YouTube at least).

Or you could just be sensible. Don't shoot at or very close to the cameraman. The cameraman himself should try and avoid being in the line of fire, and probably wear something distinctive so they're not mistaken for a combatant (eg bright colours if everyone else is wearing camo)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 pm

I'll tell you how I'd make a small water proof (well, at least water resistant) container. This would protect the water gun from streams and being hit. If you want a simple solution plastic bags are okay, but be aware that the bag could degrade image quality.

Buy a plastic container big enough to hold the camera, one clear piece of plastic big enough to see the screen, one clear lens filter bigger than the camera's lens, a knife, a small 1/4 inch screw, a 1/4 inch nut, and some epoxy.

The 1/4 inch screw should thread onto the tripod threads on the bottom of the camera. Drill a hole in the container and use the screw and nut to hold the camera to the container.

Mark where the screen and lens are on the container. Cut out a circle in front of the lens slightly smaller than the lens filter. Epoxy the lens filter on. On the back, cut out a square a little larger than the screen is and epoxy the clear plastic on.

The reason I suggest clear plastic for the screen and a lens filter for the lens is that clear plastics aren't optical glass so they will degrade image quality for reasons I won't explain right now. Using a cheap clear lens filter will ensure that you have optical glass in front of the lens.

This container should be plenty adequate for water wars, though I wouldn't take it under water. ;)

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:51 am

thanks! I have been a bit aprehensive about using my camera as it cost $2000
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 am

Yep, don't want to ruin that camera. :rolleyes:

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:12 pm

In which case my advice is get another camera, either much cheaper or waterproof. Dunno about Australia but in the UK you can get a 3mp digital camera for twenty quid.
Another possibility is to use zoom.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 am

How much is twenty quid? Electrical Gadgets are often more expensive hear.

I really don't think that the camera breaking will be a problem. We just don't shoot anywhere near the cameraman.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:41 pm

£20 ~= $40 (any sort of dollars at the moment)

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 am

Whether or not we use Auth's camera shold be entirely his choice. However I don't think that breakin the camera is an issue if we use protective measures.

Storm

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:59 am

cantab wrote:£20 ~= $40 (any sort of dollars at the moment)
American currency has slumped so low, Australian Dollar is worth practically the same as American. $US1=$AU0.97

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 pm

Stay on topic here guys. As much as you may be interested in finances, it's a discussion for another time lol. Do you reckon we could get a game going soon to film this movie. We also have our new guns to battle-test.

Storm