do you guys ever use other weapons??

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
soakertoss

do you guys ever use other weapons??

Post by soakertoss » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Rather new hard core super soaker fights do you guys ever use other than guns and water ballons? :rolleyes: reasons?

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Depends on how hardcore we are talking about. Most teams use normal guns and balloons. Some teams also field pneumatic water balloon launchers and water cannons in their arsenals.

Water balloon launchers can outrange thrown balloons by hundreds of feet and water cannons can outrange water guns by hundreds of x in output. For example, you might be able to throw a water balloon 150ft, but a launcher will put it out to 400, 600, 800, or more. Likewise, the largest water output on a stock soaker is ~28x, but a piston/air water cannon can shoot a stream rated over 600x.

Some teams also create traps, but I've found very few types of traps to be effective for anything.

^ Example of a water cannon

^ Example of a water balloon launcher
Last edited by DX on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

soakertoss

Post by soakertoss » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:34 pm

I know its off the subject but how would one make a water cannon?

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:09 am

A water cannon is a lot like a water balloon launcher, except that the valve must be a ball valve and it is at the muzzle of the water gun. There's often a nozzle, too.

If you're building a water cannon, make sure you use a shape that has the outlet at the bottom so that only water, and not air, is shot out. Or use a piston to separate the two, like in SuperCannon II.

There is some more information, but it's very decentralized - no key articles or threads. Your best bet is to search the forums here and at WaterWarfare.com. :cool:

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:24 am

Information is coming, albeit slowly. Ben will most likely have a guide for water cannons in SSC's update, as will I when the Death Cannon is ready to rock.

Piston cannons are the way to go - my plain AP one is like a dinosaur compared to the Ruta Cannon, which is a mere test cannon. The thing is more compact, lighter, and more mobile than the G1 Douchenator, even with the water in. As for comparable power, you don't get comparable power with regular air pressure unless the cannon is massive.

soakertoss

Post by soakertoss » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for the help I was wondering what is the best way to pressurize the tank? in your opinion? :rolleyes: oh and I was going to do a piston to separate the two.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 pm

It depends on what the purpose of the cannon is. If it's a smaller water cannon or just something you'll use on the field, then use a bike pump (hand or foot style; depends on how much pressure you want). If you're using the water cannon for demonstration purposes, and if you have access to an automatic pump, then you can use that.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 pm

More specifically, you'd use a schrader valve for a bike pump and an air coupler for an air compressor. Both use the same method of attachment to the gun - they are screwed into a threaded metal reducer that threads into PVC. 1/4" to 1/2" is the most commonly used reducer. An alternate way to screw in a schrader valve would be to drill a hole in the PVC itself, but I would not do that with a piston water cannon. Threading the valve via reducer is a more sophisticated method for a more sophisticated type of cannon.

low325

Post by low325 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 am

Sometimes (Very rarely) I use splash bombs if i run out of EVERYTHING (And only if I run out of everything.) They're like sponges you put water in and throw them at the enemy. You have to have a bucket of water to reload them. If you throw them the enemy gets them so you get close to them (very risky at some points) and squeeze them while you move it up and down and the water will go forward. It has horrible aim and you have to carry around a bucket so I only use them if I really need to.
Cows are good