ET- style Water Fight game

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Lucius Octavion

ET- style Water Fight game

Post by Lucius Octavion » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:30 pm

I just had a really awesome idea, but it would take a while to organize, you need the right equipment, and many people in the fight.

If you are familiar with the video game Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, this water fight is almost exactly the same. I would like feedback and suggestions to eventually make this into a practical game.

Ok, first to give you some information about ET, go here and I suggest looking at the weapons and classes guides.

Ok now to this game. There are two teams (best at 5 players each). Each team has a base and usually one has an objective in it that the opposite team must destroy in a specified amount of time. This is not the only scenario, as they can be customized. For example there may be a CTF like scenario and even one where a team must bring supplies to an objective without getting soaked. The first example is the best one though. If the objective is destroyed the team that destroyed it wins and if the other team does a good job defending it (or something) in the time they win.

There are different classes of players, you have soldiers, field ops, covert ops, engineers, and medics. It would be interesting to incorporate all the classes, but it may be nessecary to eliminate medics.

A player is eliminated when he suffers a full blast and usually is fairly soaked. He must then return to his base WITH NO rights to shoot anyone or give any information. At each base there is a clock and whenever the second hand hits the 12 or the 6, players may be allowed to go back into the game. While they are waiting they may do nothing. However they can go back in WHENEVER the second hand hits the 12 or the 6 so that means if a player is eliminated when the hand is at the 9 and then he is in his base for 3 seconds before it hits the 12, then he still gets back in.

Every class can be equipped with a main weapon, a sidearm IF they want(a relatively small water gun like an XP 20), and a specific amount of water balloons IF they want (different classes get different amounts). They all wear the same thing, ex t shirt with shorts/ swimming trunks. There are exceptions for some items. EX: Only a field ops can have binoculars and a backpack full of ammo.

Ok, so soldiers don't have any special abilities, but they are the only ones who gain the right to handle the most heavy weapons. They also gain the ability to have a bigger sidearm (mostly any weapon if they want it) after they soak a certain amount of people from the opposite team (this is customizable). They are equipped with up to 4 water grenades. (Note that when I say how many a class can have that can also be customizable).

Field ops are an interesting class. They are equipped with a backpack full of ammunition and they can distribute it to anyone who is in need of water, water grenades, etc. They also can have binoculars and give directions to the other players on his team. His main weapon is a medium-small size gun and equipped with 2 water grenades.

Covert ops are usually people who can move slow and sneak about without notice. They are equipped with 3 water grenades, a long ranged weapon medium-small, and maybe something else. Covert ops also have some extra ammunition with them (customizable). Lets say that a covert ops has the exception of two hit kills or something when in a hiding position. The trouble with this though is how the shot player will know what class hit him. suggestions?

Engineers are players who have the ability to construct things (like turrets, etc...) Suggestions?? And they also are the ONLY ones who are equipped with a device (dynamite in ET) that can destroy the objective. (lets say splash cats) Splash cat was a toy that you can put a water balloon into and a timer tells it when to pop the water ballon. The problem is those toys are extremely rare. Suggestions?? Engineers can have up to 10 water grenades and have a medium-small main gun. They also can gain the ability to wear a raincoat for extra protection after doing things like constructing, "blowing" stuff up or soaking, suggestions?? Also they can "Diffuse" dynamite from the other team and lay booby traps.

Medics I cant think of anything... suggestions please?

Whew, so that gives you a general Idea, now I need some suggestions. Anything is welcome including class abilities, rules, etc etc. Thanks
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:17 pm

I've never heard of ET before, but the game sounds great now. That said, I don't think it's possible in a water war at all. It's just too complex, equipment- and rules-wise, to be utilised effectively. The mission thing is certainly feasible, but then again, it does sound a lot like the scenario-type of 1HK play.

Also, Duxburian will probably tell you that ranks are better than positions/classes. I admit I haven't heard the entire argument, but I certainly do believe him. In addition, very few water warriors would carry the equipment within the limits and still be able to battle effectively. Nice idea, though...

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:47 pm

This actually isn't too complex. There aren't too many rules to remember.

However, this appears to be a common scenario-based 1HK with positions/classes, at least to those who have not played said video game. For this particular game, classes and assigned guns may work, but it is usually better not to have either. Fluid teams often crush static teams. Ranks instead of positions open up new windows for new tactical abilities, both conventional and unconventional.

If you do choose classes/positions, there should not be any weapons restrictions, especially not ones based on gun sizes.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 am

I have ET, and it's pretty fun if you're good (which I'm not). It isn't nearly 1HK, I have played on a 1HK server, which was very fun, and I didn't suck as much as I usually do!

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:19 pm

What's 1HK? Is it some kind of different gameplay type?
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah, we've played scenarios before. Not on a large scale though. It'd be really cool if its a large number tracking down another large number in a forested area.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:32 pm

1HK or OHK stands for "One Hit Kill." Basically, you're out if even a tiny bit of water touches you. There are also some other variants, such as:

Soakfest--just soak everybody else as much as possible
RM's and Waterbridge's fist-size kill--you're out when a water splash the size of a fist soaks your shirt
tags--you're out when a SoakerTag dissolves or when tissue paper taped to your shirt gets blown off

There are also variants such as soaking the shirt, etc.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:43 pm

I've read walkthroughs of stuff like this, so I can guess:

In a 1HK style game, uses for medics:

If a player is hit there are two forms of respawn - return to base to respawn, or have a medic "heal" them within a given time limit (perhaps 30 seconds).

Healing could be as simple as the medic running over and touching the person, perhaps for a given 10 seconds, or could be more complex.

EDIT: Talking of computer game based game styles, perhaps hints could be taken from other games.

The idea that struck me was the "rockets" game variant from Halo/2 - each warrior is only allowed to carry a wbl as a weapon. Teams are possible, but the tactics would be totally different.

I suppose that few teams have enough wbls, but teams like the RM might like to try this.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:35 pm

You've got the right idea. When you're "dead" (which is really wounded on the ground), a medic can come over and inject you with his magic syringe. It takes only a few seconds, but if the medic is attacked during that time, they will most likely die.

While you're wounded on the ground, you can, at any point, join the spawning queue and wait for the next respawn, when you will reappear back at your team's spawn point.

Another way to completely die is to be shot again once you're down. This is known as gibbing, and doesn't give you any kills, but keeps medics from reviving you.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:51 pm

Well, I'm guessing at that - but I know roughly what's going on. Gibbing normally means rocket launcher pwnage to me.

My favourite online game is normally Halo 2. I don't often fight online, but I rock at it.

If you ever meet me on coagulation canyon, and tanks are on, then expect pain. In fact even without tanks expect total smack downs.

I was playing a team of 4 - on my own. And I still pwned them 50 kills to 22. And those were supposedly "advanced players".

Favourite moment: A player with active camo (invisibility, but blurs the region you're in) was trying to approach the tank to pull me out. The typical tactic when doing this is to jump around to make you harder to hit. I blasted him out of the air (with the main gun) during one of his jumps.

I never appear on leader boards because I do it so rarely - there's not much fun in that kind of ownage (but I do it to show mates/relatives)

I also like Battlefront II - but I've never got the hang of heroes - I can pwn better as a normal troop. I get 8 kills to one death - against allegedy good players.

And before you ask - no I'm not going into a tournament:

*steps round corner and is dead before I even know they're there*
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

lazerhawk08

Re: ET- style Water Fight game

Post by lazerhawk08 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 am

how bout medics can get peoples that r walking back to base back in the game before they get there

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 am

Oh my gosh I made this topic two years ago... ...necro!
Guns in possession:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:14 am

Welcome back! How do you like the new website and forum compared against what we had before?

Yeah there has been some necro-posting lately. People don't seem to notice the dates. Not that I care too much because usually necroed threads die or come back strong and those who necro eventually notice. :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:38 am

Welcome back! I was just wondering, had you been ghosting here when you saw the necropost? Either that, or it's an amazing coincidence that you saw the thread. :)

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I must say, great great work on the remade web site, maybe I'll look around here a bit more. I actually found the necro post from email notification. I still have yet to show you guys pics of my speed loaders. I can do that now that I have a good camera. :)
Guns in possession: