The booby trap thread

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 pm

The trap would be effective due to its design. The dispersal method is a sprinkler head, the power source is compressed air, and the trigger is a ball valve, which must be flipped by a hidden defender. The piping/sprinkler piece can be easily hidden under leaves. The only problems are making the thing, since there are a lot of parts. It also can't be used more than once since it needs a lot of pressure and takes a long time to get that pressure [this is a mobile trap BTW, the air pressure is created using a bike pump and schrader valve]. It's simply not practical, you might as well ambush instead.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:26 am

@ joannaardway:
Duxburian wrote:Accuracy depends on the artilleryman. If you use it a lot and get to know which angles and how much pressure yields different ranges, than one can be quite accurate. It just takes experience. With trees and wind being the variables, there are many places where effective range is cut simply because the balloon gets blocked early.
WaTer FigHt NoOb wrote:It is quite easy to avoid a water balloon that is coming from 300 feet away... No matter how accurate it is. Water balloons are best used before you open fire with your primary weapon.
Yes, that is what I meant by the inaccuracy of WBLs, especially at large distances. There are simply too many external variables, including the movement (dodging) of the target, that foil your efforts to soak you opponent.

@ Duxburian: Who is RM, and what trap did he or she invent? Though there is probably an incredibly obvious answer...

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:47 am

SilentGuy wrote:@ Duxburian: Who is RM, and what trap did he or she invent? Though there is probably an incredibly obvious answer...
The RM is the Ridgewood Militia, Duxburian's team. ;)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, Spinner. If that trap is the Ridgewood Militia's primary design, then I doubt we will see the details ;) --they (Duxburian...) are pretty secretive with their designs.

Well, it doesn't matter too much. Personally, I'm not into traps, and I won't be facing this one.

Hydro Tactica Advanced

Post by Hydro Tactica Advanced » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm

i agree with duxburian on this one. An ambush would be more effective.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

A trip wire could be used to open the ball valve instead of an operator, if it were set up well enough.

Water fight noob - a wbl can easily hit at 300 ft.

My Cerberus design is intended for sniping, and has huge muzzle velocities to allow this. Cerberus will be able to hit at 300 ft easily - one thread I posted in somewhere, has calculations showing how possible it is.

Reaction times and human accelaration just aren't fast enough to dodge a water balloon at those speeds.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm

Although one with sharp hearing and eyesight might be able to see the launcher in the distance or hear it. Silencers for water balloon launchers are not perfect. With enough warning time, one with fast reflexes [my reaction time is .18] one could have a chance of dodging. Or just moving behind a tree, which is more effective against artillery.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Even with .18 reaction time to a complicated stimulus, the following logic ensues:

Balloon will take 1 sec to reach target.

Sound will take about 0.3 sec to reach target - (Cerberus's valve design + porting actually means that it will be very quiet compared to other wbls)

Add the .18 = for .48 sec

Balloon is half way to target - target has .5 sec to move out of way.

s = ut + 1/2 vt^2

Assuming u is 0 - v will be about 2 m/s^2 - (a top sprinter will only ever reach about 5 m/s^2 from an ideal position. With soakers on rough ground, 2 m/s is more than reasonable.)

t is 0.5. t^2 is 0.25

t^2 * v = 0.5

half above = 25 cm movement.

Conclusion: It would be possible to dodge, but it would require good reactions, fast movement and instant action taken. Likely, Cerberus will not be heard (and it will be well camoflaged, so you won't see it.) at 300 ft, so what is detailed above is an ideal situation)

At 700 ft (possible effective range for Cerberus - currently unknown), targets will definately be unaware, but any movement will make it difficult.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 am

Im not so sure about all these calculations joan. Like duxburian stated you could dodge these balloons. But how accurate could any launcher be.

what the heck is all this about a launcher hitting at 300ft. And taking one second to get there. All i have to say is "what the ****?" THat would HURT. What kind of inhumane person would use an air powered launcher

And about the sprinter thing. The world record for the 100 Meter dash is under ten seconds that means just more than ten meters per second.
But were not talking world class sprinters on the track with starting blocks and spiked shoes. We are talking about Average people on the grass with normal clothes and soakers. Taking all that in consideration i could probably do a 14 second 100 meter sprint. Roughly 7 meters per second. But you also have to start running so the meters per second at the start would be about 4 or 5 meters per second. MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME. And all you have to to is move less than a meter out of the balloons path, THIS IS IF THE BALLOON WAS EVEN ON TRACK TO HIT THE TARGET...

how about you put footage of this "MYTH" launcher on the site somewhere and put a link with your next post. (literally myth) just to prove all this to the non-believers (me)

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:38 am

It is perfectly reasonable for a water balloon to hit 300ft in 1 second. Objects come out of the Douchenator at ~141 MPH, and Cerberus is to be more powerful than this.

However, pinpoint accuracy at 300 is hard to believe unless the fighting area is completely open and there is no wind. Even with the electronic sensors, hitting an exact spot would be quite difficult. Dodging it doesn't require sprint-style acceleration, it requires reflexes. Like dodgeball. Or how fast you can duck behind a tree.

Assuming you are in a forest, you could take out this launcher by slowly advancing tree-by-tree, and covering your moves with your own artillery. The faster you get close to it, the better, because then the user cannot fire at point-blank ranges and must flee the position. The enemy will counter by heavily guarding the launcher, so you should counter by blasting that position with your artillery as you move in. Once the launcher is safely in the enemy rear, they will set up again, so the process must be started all over again. If the enemy is smart, they will attack, so your artillery must keep them out of range.

In an open field, I would run away in a zigzag-spin pattern until I found some kind of cover, preferably a forest. Your artillery will keep Cerberus out of effective range or just at its threshold, as well as keeping enemy fighters out of range of you.

In a suburban/urban area, I would set up ambushes in well-hidden and packed/narrow places, where you can't use artillery due to the dangerously close ranges.

AKA I wouldn't like to fight against such a beast, but if I had to I would at least know how to conduct a war for a no-kill tie.

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:45 pm

That was one of the points i was trying to make. it wouldn't be hard to dodge this thing. But if you didn't it would still hurt. 141 mph seems sort of extreme just for a little competition. I don't care what the heck it is, if its going that fast i don't think that it will be allowed on any battle field.

Question: has anyone here ever been hit with one of these things??
Question: has anyone here ever been hit with one of these things at
CLOSE RANGE... That would hurt like $@#%!!!!!

And about the accuracy a 300ft. I just don't believe it...

DX

Post by DX » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:57 pm

In our local wars, we have a 45 degree rule, where artillery cannot be fired at less than a 45 degree angle. Makes it safer, although you could still level it and it wouldn't hurt with less than 70 PSI of pressure. Just make sure the balloons are tight enough that they will pop on impact at under 100ft. We only can use the Douchenator effectively for bombardment mortar-style, or long range scare attacks.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Cerberus is still in the design phase, in case people don't know.

However predictions are more than accurate enough to work with.

Cerberus will be firing at about 225 mph - a bit over 50% more than the Douchenator.

However, the muzzle energies will be similar.

Although I don't know the exact weight of a Douche balloon (I'm guessing 250 to 300 grams), Cerberus will be firing much smaller balloons and impacts will be of similar force.

About ranges - the Douche can put a balloon 500 ft.

Cerberus with less air resistance and more speed will have more range for an easy 700 ft effective (effective mind you) sniping range. At more than about 300 ft, targets will need to be stationery, or something like defenses/inanimate objective to kill.

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:11 am

I hope they have rules about these launchers.

Douche... funny name for a launcher.

What the heck? 225 mph... wow... that is amazing. Don't think that is accurate...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:11 am

Douche - short for Douchenator - so called because that's the sound it makes on firing.

Cerberus - so called because of it's three pressure tanks (Cerberus is the three-headed dog at the gates of hell) - I now can't really change the name...

The muzzle velocity has been accurately predicted by GGDT - generally considered the best pneumatic launcher calculator that there is (at least until I finish mine...)

My other hypothetical launchers:
Hellhound: A mini-Cerberus look-alike but using different tech to fire.
And a Douche clone.