The booby trap thread

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Tue May 02, 2006 9:15 pm

Thats great joan... You said that you could kill with a full bore firearm at 600 yard. That is a full bore firearm, And thats really good for you. No really i mean it.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed May 03, 2006 7:11 pm

I would prefer to be called Jo, rather than Joan - it's not something that I'm ever called elsewhere.

I'm not saying that a kill shot is a good thing - it's just a general measure of accuracy - I can hit certain locations as a choice.

If they run at me, then they:
a) get close enough that I can be accurate with Cerberus.
b) Use the PCgR (I think that it will be practical enough to call revolution rather than homemade) that I'm going to build (with 3 litres of PC and a devastating riot blast) against them.
c) can be drawn into an ambush.

Besides wbls are rather off topic - can we switch back to booby traps at some point?
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 03, 2006 8:15 pm

We shouldn't get back into water balloon launcher tactics, as there was quite a good discussion about it in "Plans for the future."

I like your point about using a water balloon launcher to draw an ambush, because there really isn't any other way to take down a water balloon launcher besides charging. We can get a little closer to the topic by suggesting laying traps in front of the water balloon launcher operator--if you're charging, you will be going too fast to notice the traps.

I don't think it really matters whether you use "Revolution" or "Homemade"--I just find it awkward to say, I'm building my next "Revolution" out of PVC in a few days.

Remember, you won't need too big a PC in a PCgH in order to get enough shot time, because you only need to release a thin stream of water--because it's only water and not air, you give maximum soakage. Then again, it's the same with CPS soakers...

EDIT: What design are you using? I suggest a wide but short PC, so it doesn't extend back a foot or two.

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 pm

I like the riot blast Idea that would be quite cool...

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 11:18 pm

No, I don't think a PCgH with a riot blast would be that effective...at least, it won't in my mind. However, I might change my decision after I see the actual performance of PCgHs. They just might be able to do effective riot blasts because of their substantially larger PCs.

However, PCgHs are really intended as lighter soakers. For example, they take less pumping, but because their stream is pure water, they give superior soaking. Thus, they have excellent efficiency, and thus are at their best, when they use smaller nozzles. Of course, once again, this isn't too different from CPHs.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 06, 2006 8:57 am

I'm looking at a PCgH as a different type of APH. The chambers will have maybe 30 psi of precharge, so rather than the last dregs of water being at 0-5 psi, I have 30+ psi.

Also, given the design of a PCg PC, it can be used upside down (water above air) so I can build a more compact design. I'll come back with a diagram of my intended design.

I like the idea of using a wbl to draw people on to traps - if they move fast enough they won't see the traps, and if they move slowly, I can hit them more times.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 4:02 pm

Many people overlook the fact that more air in the PC (due to PreCharging) yields a greater potential PSI. I believe 30 PSI is approximately two atmospheres, so even at the beginning of a shot, it's easier to get enormous pressures/outputs/velocities. PCgs are just great!

When I build my PCgH (in a month, hopefully), I'm going to use the most recent design that I posted, with some minor changes: first of all, there will only be a backpack reservoir; second of all, I might use a two-stroke pump; and third of all, the proportions will be fixed, including a wider but shorter PC. I will also use a Schrader valve for PreCharging.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Well, actually precharging doesn't increase max psi at all... It will take the same force with a pump of the same diameter at the same pressure. Thus, pre-charging increases the average psi in the chamber, but also reduces the potential amount of water in the chamber.

30 psi is roughly 2 atm - This is closing on the max pressure of some stock soakers. At this pressure or higher, expect very CPS like behaviour.

The chambers can be inverted (again, water above air) allowing for some compact builds.

I expect that I will have a multi bore pump (maybe 3 bores 3/4", 1/2" and 3/8"), because double stroke is asking too much skill for a first build, and I could reach 150+ psi with the 3/8" bore.

It will not be an inline build (it's probably going to have 4 PCs) but will use conical nozzles, if I can get them.

I'll probably use my CPS 3200 backpack, and definately, a bike valve of some sort.

On topic:

I am now of the opinion that a wbl and booby trap combo could be very effective. However, we have yet to discuss designs for these traps.

I'm sure that some of you have seen the designs on isoaker.com - what about these underground traps? - you cannot claim that you would see them easily.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 5:17 pm

Underground ones, such as mines, would not score kills in our local wars. They might get your feet/legs wet, but for us only water to the shirt can count. A water balloon launcher/ambush combo would be much more effective, unless the enemy sees that some defenders of the launcher are missing...
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Well, if you have twice as much air to start off with, you only need to push the plunger back half as much as with a non-PCged PCgH. Thus, you only need half the amount of time (giving you more battle practicality) to pressurize to a certain level. Of course, that may be a good thing or a bad thing :rolleyes: .

I have to say that Ben's backpack article on the main SSC site is actually quite good. The design, which at first appears weak, is actually flawless and very easy to use. However, I would replace the bottle's cap with a PVC setup that involves a female threaded fitting and a reducer; then, use a Jubilee clip to attach the hose (this involves a lesser chance of leakage). This seems like a better choice than using a CPS 3200 backpack.

Did you intend to use 4 PCs on a PCgH, or on a different homemade? I don't think multiple PCs are as convenient on PCgHs as they would be on other homemades, especially since they just add extra weight (as opposed to one large PC) and would be a pain to PreCharge. A system that connected the air compartments of all the PCs for easier PCging would just add extra weight. However, if you want to make a PCgH with lots of PC capacity but that doesn't put the grip too far forward, you can take a look at my first PCgH design. It doesn't boast linear flow, but I love the design. It's very simple, allows for anything to be big (including the PC), and has a trigger.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun May 07, 2006 4:22 pm

I was planning on four chambers, all with the air compartments linked. It prevents having one single huge chamber (which could really have balance issues).

Hmm, undeground mines are good, but not if it's shirt hits only - I'll go away and think.

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Mon May 08, 2006 12:13 am

A riot blast would be quite a psycological weapon as well as a very wet one...
It would be nice for holding part of the battle line with less troops.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 4:25 pm

@ joannaardway: I have thought about having such a setup, with a tube connecting the air compartments to one opening for easy PreCharging, but that is just more complex--and it adds weight. When I build mine, I will have both the linear-flow style PCgH and the one I originally proposed (it will have the largest PC and a wider pump tube for maximum battle practicality).

guerrilla91

Post by guerrilla91 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm

On the topic of water mines, here is my idea. I have all the pieces for it, and it will completely soak an enemy.

It is basically a water balloon launcher. It has a 2 inch wide 6 inch long pressure chamber, with a schrader valve. The pc is attached to a modified solenoid valve, with a trigger valve. The trigger valve is attached to a square of thick cardboard such that depressing the cardboard triggers the solenoid valve. The pc and valve lie on their sides, and it is attached to a 2 by 6 inch barrel with a 90 degree bend. The barrel points upward, and is filled with water. The whole contraption is buried, with only the tip of the barrel and the cardboard plate of the trigger valve exposed. When an enemy steps on the plate, the solenoid valve is triggered and the water explodes out of the barrel with quite a bit of force. Im estimating 15-20 ft of height of the water, based on my experiments shooting water out of my launcher.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:17 am

This sounds like Duxburian's water launcher/cannon design, just buried.

Hmm - it's probably too much work to bury. Mines either need to be simple buried affairs, or powerful above ground ones.