The booby trap thread

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Like duxburian said...t hey have rules about air powered launchers in their wars. most sensible places will have some sort of rule for safety. Won't that rule take away most of the sniping aspect of the cerberus?

Wouldn't 225 mph be slightly more dangerous than the earlier 141 mph... I believe you could but why would you want ssomethingthat powerful... it's just a water war.

Is this cerberus project takeing up a lot of time? If it was i would just put that time into trying to make ssomethingless extreme... like writing a book on the essential elements of quantum physics

DX

Post by DX » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:28 pm

The 45 degree rule is a local rule, and the only one known regarding water balloon launchers in wars [teams possessing pnuematic artillery are rather rare].

Remember that the speed figures are for when an object is leaving the barrel. Air resistance will cut down that speed. When the Douchenator is used as a mortar, balloons come down at a fraction of the initial. Even when leveled, a lot of the 141 MPH is lost. Cerberus is meant to be very powerful and complex, which also means that it would be difficult to use in a mobile war.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:49 pm

Douche - short for Douchenator - so called because that's the sound it makes on firing.

...Heh...not exactly.
What kind of inhumane person would use an air powered launcher

A lot of people use these launchers because they have more organized and larger wars, with stricter (or at least clearer rules), and distinct teams. Teams such as Dux's militia, and my team often use pneumatic WBL. You could never guess the effectiveness if you have never used one.

As far as those calculations that Joannaardway made, I think that that the last thing any NEW member should do is standardize battlefield conditions while making predictions. You CANNOT account for everything, you can hardly account accurately for anything. WBLs can be extremely effective if used correctly, but like all pieces of equipment, they have thier up's and down's.

As far as traps are concerned (which is what this topic was originally about), I personally don't use traps. Although I concede that in certain situations they can work very well, I find them to take a little long to set up.

Soak On

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Cerberus is designed to be used as a direct fire sniper rifle - thus, the projectile weighs less, but goes faster - it will impact similarly to the Douchenator. Also, the projectile has a lesser frontal area, so slows down less drastically for longer ranges.

Cerberus isn't taking up much time at the moment - it's still being designed, and information from my low bore test launchers is being used to improve the design.

And with regards to the other half of the statement:

I've already written a section for a book about quantum physics, including what holes there are in the science, how these might be explained, why what we have already is "fuzzy", and how time travel isn't possible as it has been suggested.

I believe the book is for sale in the UK, but I don't remember what it's called.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Wow, many posts have been written since I left.

I don't care how powerful any WBL may be--I doubt anybody, even with Cerberus, could hit a person 100 yards away. As I've said before, it's hard to see that far on most battlefields.

It's funny how different the purposes of the Douchenator and Cerberus are. The Douchenator is designed for intimidation (at least partly so), because it is accepted that accuracy at large range is not perfect. Supposedly, Cerberus is a stealthy sniping machine, even at 700 feet--I don't believe that. In my opinion, joannaardway has taken the WBL idea a bit too far.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:18 pm

SilentGuy wrote:It's funny how different the purposes of the Douchenator and Cerberus are. The Douchenator is designed for intimidation (at least partly so), because it is accepted that accuracy at large range is not perfect. Supposedly, Cerberus is a stealthy sniping machine, even at 700 feet--I don't believe that. In my opinion, joannaardway has taken the water balloon launcher idea a bit too far.
Surely Cerberus is intimidating in a different sense; it has the potential to induce fear of being suddenly hit by a water balloon coming out of nowhere.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:30 pm

If I thought I could be hurt by a water balloon seemingly falling out of the sky, I simply wouldn't play. How many times has a Douchenator (which revolutionized WBLs) actually hit somebody with a water balloon or with splash (literally splash :p )? Not too many times, but it is still intimidating. You don't need to spend a ton of time trying to perfect something that still has only a small chance of doing what it is supposed to do--in this case, actually hit others. The Douchenator, an incredibly cheap weapon, does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 pm

By fear I did not mean fear of being hurt - I was referring more to the fear of being suddenly eliminated.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Okay, I like that definition. I must have had a slight misunderstanding earlier.

Thanks for alerting me to that.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:53 pm

I am an expert shot - I have various degrees of shooting distinction.

I have even been classified of being potentially able to achieve a kill shot at 600+ yards.

Cerberus should not be a problem to handle accurately, if the design was made to be specifically "me-shaped".

Cerberus is not a mobile weapon - it is built to handle long range shots. For a mobile sniping design, I'll be working with Hellhound.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:59 pm

By "expert shot," are you referring to an actual firearm? Not bad, but it is a bit irrelevant to the firing of a WBL, I should say.

Once again, it doesn't matter how well one can aim and shoot if his or her weapon isn't up to snuff.

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Mon May 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Do you seriously think you can hit sombody with this thing at 600 plus feet?

Wow joan you are one of a kind...

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 01, 2006 8:19 pm

I don't want to repeat myself, but it doesn't matter if joannaardway or any other WBL operator is "one of a kind." One cannot guarantee that the balloon will be launched perfectly and that all forces affecting the balloon will be accounted for. One way or another, the balloon will be thrown out of its intended trajectory.

Then again, a new trajectory might be better at certain times, especially if the user can't aim...

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue May 02, 2006 6:12 pm

I could kill with a full bore firearm at 600 yards - 3 times this distance of 600 feet.

Over 300 feet, accuracy will be difficult - wind and such will affect things, but as I and other's have said - there will be few occasions where shots are taken at more than 300 feet - beyond that it will be mostly shock tactics:

"Oh my god - they can shoot that far?" *runs away*

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 pm

Well, it's good to know that you know that the major purpose of WBLs might be intimidation. However, instead of your enemies running away, the better ones would run toward you. Weak players won't play with you again, while the more experienced ones will crush you in that battle--assuming that they can actually overpower you. Giving away one's location for no reason isn't always the best idea :p .