The booby trap thread

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Silence

Re: The booby trap thread

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:58 am

That's the right idea, provided the spring can provide enough thrust. You might need to tweak the trigger pin so that friction, etc. don't tear everything apart over the long term.

Consider using air pressure, as in water balloon launchers (see the bottom of this page), because it can store more energy than a spring can, without costing or weighing too much.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 am

Has anyone ever tried making a electric booby trap? All you would need is some wire, an electric water gun, and a tripwire or pressure pad (which you can find instructions to on pages 48-49 of The Dangerous Book for Boys). Just open the gun, snip the wires going to and from the trigger, and connect them to the tripwire/pressure pad using the wire. Then fill it up, put the tripwire/pressure pad where you think the enemy will walk, hide the gun pointed toward the tripwire/pressure pad, and it's ready.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Sounds good, as long as you can prevent short-circuiting and electrocution. :P

An actual infrared proximity sensor would be neat, too.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:45 am

One problem that can see is that old "if a tree falls in a forest and no ones around to hear it, does it make a sound" sort of thing.

Unless you have some other method of elimination than wet shirts (tissues etc) and no one sees it hit someone then the most likely thing is that the target will just lie and say they weren't hit.
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:48 am

Honour system is all you have. I mean, you have the same problem if one person hits another and no-one else is watching.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 am

Hey guys! It's been some time. Anyway, thought you might get a kick out of this.

A few nights ago I was stumbling home and realized I had forgot my keys so I went to the backyard to get the spare. Now, my parents have a fish pond in the back that has had some visits from raccoons and possums. Unknowingly to me, my parents set up a motion activated sprinkler to scare the predators away. I walked on by and was soaked. It reminded me of my days on here so I thought I would share. Hope you appreciated it!

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Hahahahaha!

Sorry. But that is brilliant! Do you know any more about said sprinkler? That would indeed make a ready made booby trap.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

DX

Post by DX » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Hey Robin! I love how you decided to share this story at 4:10 AM :p What's up?
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:08 am

Authundir wrote:One problem that can see is that old "if a tree falls in a forest and no ones around to hear it, does it make a sound" sort of thing.

Unless you have some other method of elimination than wet shirts (tissues etc) and no one sees it hit someone then the most likely thing is that the target will just lie and say they weren't hit.
I guess traps would require honesty.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:00 pm

I just made a booby trap! I bought a pulsating sprinkler at Home Depot, hooked up a hose to my P.R.H., and hooked up the hose to the pulsating sprinkler. This is what it looks like:

With this you can hide somewhere from a distance and when your opponent walks by, turn the ball valve and soak him!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Well, that's not really a booby trap, since there's no automatic triggering. It's more like a remotely triggered bomb. The hose could of course be longer than that shown (though too long will lose water pressure), but concealing it might be tricky
Arsenal:

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 pm

It's not really a triggered bomb, since it sprays the enemy. I don't think concealing it would be that hard.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:17 am

Ha, neat. Perhaps you can just call it an ambush weapon.

Concealment shouldn't be too hard as long as you place in the shadows and in a corner. Place it near a choke point and you'll still be able to get kills.