Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Super Soaker Central > News
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1
Default Site and forum cleanup

I will spend a few hours in early August going through the website and forum to clean it up a bit. Many of our website pages are dated and could use newer information.

If you have any ideas to help clean up the website, please let me know here.

My main ideas so far involve refocusing the homemades section to make the differences between the designs more clear. I'd also like to remove anything I think might be dangerous. If I have time, I might redo the APH guide with different parts to improve the build quality and safety, but that's doubtful at the moment.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Ben
Founder

Default Re: Site and forum cleanup

I'm going to postpone this cleanup a little bit due to a change of plans.

Again, if there's anything in particular that you'd like to see cleaned up, let me know in this thread.

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
wetmonkey442
Retired Moderator

UserID: 47

As the Homemades section stands now, there are a lot of public-facing links. I think consolidation would be a very good idea.

I am hoping to build another APH before the end of the summer. I would be happy to take extensive pictures of the process and work with you to put together a comprehensive and updated APH guide.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
atvan

UserID: 2462

I will also have plenty of pictures of APH construction, though mine will not be a classic APH, so that may not be good. However, it would be cool for the customizations page to have pictures for each one.

My Blog
atvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Ben
Founder

wetmonkey, if you could improve what I have with your build, that'd be great. Don't feel restricted to the "classic" APH design if you think you can improve it. I can help write the guide. I'd like to include everything the current guide has and add some new sections.

There are a number of improvements we can make to the gun:

- Improve the pump seal. I haven't kept up with recent innovations, but I hope people have figured out a better way than the wood pumps I used. I recall people had trouble with them, but they always worked okay for me.

- Ensure all components are pressure rated. This mainly means switching the bell reducer to a coupler and bushing. All fittings should have NSF-61 or NSF-pw stamped on them and all pipe should have a pressure rating.

- Develop good reservoirs. I never looked much into this.

- Reduce the cost and number of parts. The current APH guide doesn't stray far from what I first made! I didn't know about 3/4" male to 1/2" female bushings, for example.

More current prices would be helpful. Keep your receipts.

More customizations would be great too. I'm thinking that page should include a bunch of links to different builds on the forum.

Last edited by Ben : 08-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
atvan

A wonderful piece I stumbled upon at Lowe's was the 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch elbow. Small, but helps a lot with copactness and overall smootheness.

My Blog
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Specter
I'll be around, but not as much as before

UserID: 1090

there was one problem i experienced with my wood handle pump in my APH, which was that mold grew all over it and inside the pump tube, i tried killing it with bleach but it just grew more over the pump handle, so i ended up throwing it out. I was able to salvage the o-ring though.

If anyone has any other pump methods, that'd be nice.

I think i used an elblow like atvan mentioned in my aph as well
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
wetmonkey442
Retired Moderator

UserID: 47

I'm not sure if this is a widespread thing, but my local Lowes does not carry pressure-rated 3" pipe any longer. Home Depot hasn't carried it for years and the largest I can find locally is 2". If we can determine if this is a general trend, then we should probably modify the instruction to call for several longer 2" PCs over a smaller number of shorter 3" PCs, in order to satisfy the need for safety.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
atvan

My Lowes did not have it. They had a whole aisle of 3 and 4 inch pipe, and it was all drain, even the fittings, except for the ginormous peices, which might have been pressure rated. We went to home depot, and they had a nice little rack with pressure rated 1 1/4, 2, 3, and 4 inch pipe, 2 feet long. It was great. They also had an almost identical selection of smaller fittings. Now I kinda hate Lowe's.

@Specter- I don't remember where I saw this, but it was a good idea- put the pump shaft in front of a dehumidifier after every use. This should reduce mold problems.

My Blog

Last edited by atvan : 08-10-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
DX
A Shrouded Figure

UserID: 75

Oh crap, I need rated 3" pipe for a new version of Douchenator. I'll have to check that brand new Home Depot on 111 in Trumbull. Are they still carrying 4"? Anything is preferable to 2". The PCs have to be pretty big to lift an APH out of the 40s rangewise.

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Ben
Founder

It seems I'll have to put this cleanup on the backburner as I have some other things to take care of first. Sorry everyone.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
atvan

That is fine by me.

My Blog