News: JLspacemarine's ABS APH makes Popular Science magazine

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
C-A_99

News: JLspacemarine's ABS APH makes Popular Science magazine

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 am

The APH is listed under the DIY/How 2.0 section of August 2010's issue. I've posted a scan of the relevant page.
Attachments
2jlsmsc.jpg
Last edited by C-A_99 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeda.beta

Re: News: JLspacemarine's ABS APH makes Popular Science magazine

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:10 am

Awesome! I get that magazine, so I look forward to seeing it.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 am

this is bound to give the site some traffic, look at the source "search JLSpacemarine at sscentral.org"
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Is there a thread with more information about this gun? I can't find anything on it.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Wow. That's cool. Congratulations to JLspacemarine!

I've never seen that blaster before though. It's not on this website is it?
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I haven't found anything on this either. He may hae simply submitted it to PopSci without posting a thread here. It would at least partly explain why they didn't post his CPH instead, though that contradicts the link to SSC and to search for his username.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Or they used an APH design instead of CPH, because that seems to be the case here.
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:27 pm

This is AWESOME, though I've never seen the blaster. And I'm not sure why blasting fifty feet is that big of a deal considering his CPH had a range of 63 feet (I think).
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:26 pm

C-A 99, I moved the thread because we hadn't had some news for a while. Anyway, thanks for the upload! :cool:

But for all that I didn't seem to appreciate the design of the water gun itself until now. A tracked pump and a trigger, with all the the workings hidden inside a clean ABS casing? Wow!

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 am

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of feedback about the Popular Science story and the new gun itself. (I knew that an article was going to be present in the magazine since the month of may.) At first, my CPH was supposed to be the main object(since it is on the homepage) but I suggested to give some pictures and info of my last gun instead, which is a bit more polished.

Fortunately I will be posting a short article and a lot of pictures in the homemades page about the new gun ASAP. Also, when I answered some questions for a senior editor at Popular Science, I mentioned the community and sscentral as being the main part of my knowledge and inspiration when building such water guns, as I hoped answering this would give us a bit of visibility.

Again, sorry for the total lack of feedback about this. I will be back in the homemades section in the next few days.
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification, and great design! It's good to know that even if people aren't online, they're still interested in the community.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Awesome! i just got the magazine, and its awesome to see a homemade in a big magazine like that. Now im just waiting on the instructions for his ABS APH

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah I have the magazine too.

JuchTurtles: Actually, his CPH got 50 feet as well. Unless you're talking about a different one. I don't know how many blasters he made.

Rainy Lake

Post by Rainy Lake » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

I am interested in getting information on how to build the super soaker which was shown in the popular science article.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Rainy Lake. Welcome to SSC! I'm afraid that the builder, JLspacemarine, has not posted a thread about this blaster, but if you really want to make a homemade, check out the APH page on this website. It won't be as nice as the one in the article, but it will work just as well. If you want to build the exact same model, you can ether wait until JLspacemarine posts an article on it, or if you know a lot about PVC, (ABS is pretty much the same.) you can make something up using the picture and your imagination.