My Rulebook

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.

What do you think of the rules?

33%
Dislike
No votes
Needs Improvement
67%

Total votes: 6

Yukon

My Rulebook

Post by Yukon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Greetings, if you are reading this, the 80 DEGREES RULEBOOK is complete, hopefully. Here are the rules:
ALL GAME RULES
You lose a life after being soaked. Once a soldier has been “killed”, he/she must stick two hands into the air, holding his/her weapon. If he/she is using a large gun, like a 2500, that player may just stick his hands in the air. You MAY NOT “play dead” in this game. If so you will be kicked from the battle, and will have to sit out. Soldiers have 3 lives. In team Elimination, the leader has 6 lives. Friendly fire does exist, so be careful. Teams choose water guns by interchanging team members, such as one player from team 1 gets a gun, then one from team 2, team 1, team 2, and so on until everyone is armed. If there are not enough weapons for all players, the “Commander Rule” comes into play.
The Commander Rule
With the commander rule, if there are not enough guns, the commanders of both teams will remain unarmed, allowing soldiers to receive weapons. The commander also has 9 lives instead of 6, evening it out.
Game Mode Choosing
In order to choose a game mode, all members of the group take a tally vote on a white board. The majority wins here. If you freak out after a gamemode is chosen you don’t want, you may be taken out.
Teaming up
Teaming up works by keeping a record of who was leader last. It is decided by a list, and each leader may choose his own group. If the group requests, we may have a permanent grouping, though the leader will still change. The group may overide the commander changing by a vote of their own team. Any complaints with the leader choice will result in a suspension of the game for 2 rounds. If you miss your turn at commander, you will have to wait until it comes around to you again. If an odd number of team mates is chosen, EX: 6 vs 5, and no one is sitting out the team with the smaller number of members gets to start by taking two guns on the first gun grab instead of one.
Team Elimination:
In team Elimination, two teams, (or more, although Colored vs. Mixed and Long sleeve vs. short sleeve cannot be used if you use 3 or more teams, nor boys vs. girls) with equal numbers of soldiers fight with one leader each. In groups of 7 or more, counting the leader, they will be divided into squads. The commander is the leader; his judgment is game law, unless otherwise interfering with the rules. This is mostly for things such as tactical arrangements. Players will wear clothing according to their teams.
You may use:
Colored vs. Mixed
This only works if mixed DOES NOT wear the other team’s colors
If you are wearing no shirt, wear a cap to indicate your color.
Long sleeve vs. short sleeve
Red vs. Blue
May use any other colors besides these two.
No disguising is allowed besides camo.
If you are using Camo, you must wear something of your team’s color. If it falls off, IMMEDIATELY PUT IT BACK ON! If you are about to make a shot, you still need to have it on.
Ducks vs. Beavers (Civil War)
If you use this color combo, one team wears black and orange, the other yellow and green. You could also use different football team colors, or the colors from teams of other sports. EX: Vikings
Boys vs. Girls
This one is pretty simple. Try to keep your hair as obvious as possible.
Free For All
In free for all, its pretty much Everyone vs. Everyone. Shoot anything that moves… that is the size of a human, not a cat or dog… or raccoon.
Sudden Death Team Elimination
The same thing as Team Elimination, but its one hit one kill. Not even the commander has an extra life.
Sudden Death Free For All
The same thing as Free for all, but its one hit one kill.
The Hunted
In this game, one player will be “The Hunted” He/she has X Lives (Where X is the amount of players plus 4). All other players hunt for this player. A color coding system would be used here, where the hunted wears one color, and everyone else can wear anything besides the color of the hunted. The Hunted has first choice at weapons, allowing for him to carry superior firepower. Once the hunted is down, the game restarts with a new hunted, or with a new gamemode of the group’s choice.
Army of Two
In this gamemode, two people battle against everyone else. These two both have X lives (Where X is the amount of players). Otherwise it works just like the hunted. The army of two must have the same color on.

All that do not agree by these rules during a ruled game will be unable to play. Compromise of the rules may be made during a meeting of the entire group, where he/she states his compromise.

RUNNER CHECKLIST
INFORMATION:

Enemy Case 1

Enemy Case 2

Enemy Case 3

Enemy Case 4

Enemy Case 5

Commander Decipher

1 equals flank
2 equals push
3 equals Artillery
4 equals Scout breach
5 equals incoming scout

The runner checklist is for encrypted information. You can also use a cipher, if you want a cipher I can make one. I have made 2 so far, one with numbers. It looks like you've entered the matrix when you read the freaking message :D . Give feedback where you can!

martianshark

Re: My Rulebook

Post by martianshark » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:45 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central, Yukon!

This is a pretty good rulebook, although I don't think players being disqualified for complaining makes sense because the general wouldn't admit that one of his men complained.

You seem to know a lot for a newbie. ;)

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 pm

One piece of advice: coloured headbands. Just buy some different coloured fabric, cut 'em into strips, and tie them into loops around your head. When you die, you simply remove your headband.

Here, you can find the rules for Capture The Flag as it is played at Cambridge:
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ctf/
Very simple, if in-jokey.
Obviously don't copy-paste them to your website without asking.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:57 pm

You really don't need colors/anything else to distinguish who is on who's team unless you're playing 30v30 or something ridiculous. Otherwise, it's not hard to remember 8 out of 16 people who are on your team. Requiring colors, etc. to distinguish teammates is just another hassle that's not worth it. Plus if you and the other team start at opposite ends of the playing area (as is the only proper way to do a 2-team game), that makes it even easier.

Nonetheless, Cantab's idea of using headbands is probably the best method if you insist on distinguishing team members visually.

Also, your rules do not define a "soaking"; this needs a definition first and foremost. As for lacking weaponry, I would have people who don't bring anything remain unarmed, and balance it so that there is an even number of unarmed per team as possible. However, considering how many water guns we have and that a lot of people don't show up, this has never been a problem before.

I don't think ciphers are worth bothering with unless computers are around. (But then they may get soaked.)

I personally also avoid playing in 'lives". I stick to one hit elimination or infinite lives respawning (until a score/objective/time limit is reached) because with limited lives, players who are eliminated first have to wait a VERY long time for the game to end. This same problem also comes up when elimination games involve more than 10 people total, or if someone decides to camp. (Though in cases where the game drags on, eliminated players ARE eventually allowed to assist current players by providing information on player locations.)
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 am

C-A_99 wrote:You really don't need colors/anything else to distinguish who is on who's team unless you're playing 30v30 or something ridiculous. Otherwise, it's not hard to remember 8 out of 16 people who are on your team.
You'd be surprised. If you have either newcomers, or people as rubbish as myself at recognising people, confusion could easily happen. Don't forget you're likely to attack people from behind, where all you have to go on is clothing and hairstyle.
It's also a good way to make sure a bystander isn't mistaken for a player.[/QUOTE]
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:11 am

Well I guess it does happen very occassionally, but has usually not been a problem for us. We also generally don't count friendly fire, otherwise it gets complicated, people may get pissed, and/or people may argue for counting bad-refills from the hose as soaks, etc.

I suppose it's not such a bad idea to mark teams if there are more than 10 players total but otherwise I've never really needed to.

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm

In my town it goes like this:
There are 3-4 teams, some smaller and some bigger. Team members never change, so we do not need colors. In my town, teams are usually defined by street they are from (for example: there is Osap team, and most members of that team are from the street Osap). Some team members are not from same street, like my team (we are all from different parts of the town)
We are smallest team in the town; 3 members. However, we really have the best equipment in town (camo cloaks, big guns, 2 fireman backpacks), and others have cheap water guns and balloons.
So, on sunny day we simply meet at one street, and start fighting. there are some basic rules, but nothing special.