Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water gun technology > Repairs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 PM   #16
JLspacemarine

UserID: 752
Thumbs up

Good news, I found a way to remove my SC PP's nozzle selector. I was trying to repair the quick fill nozzle and then, I found out that nozzle is removable. It was just screwed on:

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf2613qi6.jpg

This means I can repair the quick fill nozzle now. I see the cracked part from the inside. But this also means that damaging my gun's casing to open it was a mistake.... Just a very good thing to know for SC power pack users.

So, now I just have to add a bit of epoxy to seal it the best way possible. I wish I will be successful this time.
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #17
JLspacemarine

Smile

Good news, again. My SC powerpak is now completely fixed.

I had to glue it twice to get it working. The kickback made when releasing the trigger when using the saturator nozzle(highest output) was breaking the seal instantly, so I modified my saturator nozzle :

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf2662kl7.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf2663bh1.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf2665yy4.jpg

It has higher output than the 3x nozzle, allows better water conservation than the 10x nozzle and has a shot time between 25 and 30 seconds. Made only with duct-tape, a rubber O-ring, and a drilled glue stick cap. Works great!

Also, I'll add stream pictures of this nozzle this week-end while taking pics for my upcoming speedloader 1500 review, I borrowed my friend's QFD to take stats (he has a double cross 3000).

EDIT:
1x nozzle:
http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf2673hd5.jpg
New nozzle:
http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf2676sl1.jpg
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

Last edited by JLspacemarine : 11-04-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #18
Silence
Administrator

UserID: 576

Nice. Perhaps Ben should include this for the next major SSC update if you don't mind...

I believe the more conventional method for downsizing nozzle apertures is to fill the original one with [putty?] epoxy and then drill through the glue once it has set and is dry. But it sounds like this is very creative and effective!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
JLspacemarine

Default Homemade Gun

Since my power pak gun broke forever a few weeks ago(the trigger valve seal was okay, but the already leaking quick fill nozzle snapped off), I'm officially working on an homemade gun equivalent for my Power Pak.

For now I only bought some equivalent hose tubing, because I got lost In the huge plumbing selection of my local hardware store this afternoon. I want to salvage the quick fill nozzle and nozzle selector from my original gun (the nozzle that snapped off will fit well on 1/2 PVC), and I want the homemade to fit in the original casing as well (to be able to shoot with one hand, don't care if some parts are outside the casing). I have trouble thinking of such a design, and I'm new to homemades. So I need help, suggestions.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
Silence
Administrator

First, let me link to an image you had up earlier, just for reference:
http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf2381zn1.jpg

Now, looking at these pieces, I get the impression that a homemade with a trigger won't really be much different. If anything, it would be worse because you'd probably have to use homemade nozzles unless you glued the original on.

Is the problem really something that gobs of epoxy or plastic cement wouldn't fix? A homemade system is definitely buildable; you could even do a quickfill system like on the 2-liter homemade and a trigger valve like this one; but it won't be much better.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #21
JLspacemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGuy
Is the problem really something that gobs of epoxy or plastic cement wouldn't fix?

Yes, that's exactly why I stopped trying to repair it. Epoxy was too weak to hold the quickfill nozzle in place without any pressure, the force of the by the spring that aligns the nozzle selector was enough to break it. This gun was just too weak in general.

Has anyone ever built a similar pull valve or a ball valve activated buy a trigger? I'd like to see examples.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #22
Silence
Administrator

Drenchenator's homemade uses a trigger to actuate a ball valve. However, it probably requires a good bit of force, even if the ball valve is 3/8" or smaller. With this homemade, the "trigger" is pulled on by all four fingers.

Pull valves in homemades haven't been done, because of flow concerns. It's definitely possible though. I would take a 1/2" tee and use seals of the type you'd use in a pump. Just make sure you have two seals - one between the tee and the opening for the trigger to pull on the rod, and one seal to open and close the part of the tee that goes to the nozzle. The middle leg of the tee is the water inlet.

I can find links or draw a picture if necessary. The "some ideas" thread at Soaker Media, Dr. Nerf's second homemade at Nerfhaven (same as Drenchenator here), and several others are good examples of pull valves.

EDIT: Ben, is there a revised trigger valve article for the site update? At least your brother's homemade trigger valve deserves mention.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #23
JLspacemarine

I'm not sure exactly but is this the pull valve design you're describing?
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?im...type6kecl9.png

It would be pretty much similar for my gun replacement, the hose tubing form the backpack would go where the PC is shown.

Something I've just noticed, what's the difference between PVC and CPVC?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #24
C-A_99
Administrator

UserID: 809

^CPVC is usually of lower diameter and is able to carry hot water. Don't know much about it but I believe regular PVC systems and fittings have much greater variety to them, having more diameters, fittings, reducers, etc. than CPVC and/or simply works better with homemades. (it mostly works better with homemades because of optimal diameter, but also, I think it'd be harder to find fittings that connect CPVC to things like hose barbs, etc.)
Old 04-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #25
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

CPVC is simply chlorinated PVC, which allows the pipe to withstand some special types of abuse. Typically this means CPVC is more resistant to chemicals and heat. It's not really for use in water guns unless you use it's smaller size for something.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #26
JLspacemarine

Thumbs up homemade gun

Here it is! After a lot of reading and experiments my homemade replacement gun is completed:

The tubing and most of the parts are 1/2 CPVC (they only sell CPVC pipe where I buy my parts). I had to use a 3/4 plastic check valve because the metal 1/2 check valve I first tried was too heavy and was restricting flow. Now with the 3/4 it takes 20 seconds to fill. The nozzle part next to the ball valve is the same thing as my flash flood's nozzle selector (as described in this thread: (post #6) http://www.isoaker.com/cgi-bin/Ikonb...ST;f=37;t=2707 ). The only part I took from the original gun is the backpack adaptor, which is the only peice I couldn't recreate. I took the handle from a broken squirt gun to make it more confortable to hold, it also looks better that way .

The quick fill nozzle is actually one of these(http://freespaces.com/simpsonsep/sil...0liter%201.bmp) cut in two sections and glued directly over the 1/2 pipe, with the addition of an O-ring between the sections.

The performance is kept the same, but it is only a bit less practical because two hand use is necessary to shoot.

^this is the standard nozzle I drilled, with about 40ft of range angled, 240mL/sec output and 18 seconds of shot time. (note the great stream lamination)

Building this replacement gun definitely got me into homemades, I wish I'll have enough time and money to design and build myself a complete CPH this summer.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #27
Silence
Administrator

That is a very clean, nice-looking, and well-performing homemade...great job! Very creative quickfill and nozzle selector systems, too. And nice use of a grip.

It is a shame that you can't easily dual wield by using a Power Pak anymore. Still, at least there's plenty of shot time.

May I ask what size nozzles you're using? I'm thinking large nozzles (even with great lamination) probably aren't get the maximum range simply because the hose tubing is too small and restricts flow.

Also, would you mind if your post was quoted or reposted in the next Super Soaker Central site update?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #28
Elliott

UserID: 351

My quick fill nozzle on my SC Power Pak came with a huge crack in it but it was such an old gun and I was so lucky to find it, that I thought I'd rather fix it than take it back.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #29
JLspacemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGuy
It is a shame that you can't easily dual wield by using a Power Pak anymore.

Hey, you gave me an idea, I decided to take a look if it would be possible to make a trigger like on Drenchenator's homemade on the actual gun........ dual wielding is now possible .

I copied the design used in BBT guns for the return feature of the trigger, using a large but effective spring.

Of course, I'm always pleased to contribute to add content to the next site update .

Oh, and to answer your question, the nozzle shown in my last post is a 1/2 PVC end cap drilled to 7/32". The opening is a bit smaller than the 10X on the original gun. Also, I verified the shot time and it is 16 seconds instead of 18.