HI, I want to make a cool homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
supersoaker

HI, I want to make a cool homemade

Post by supersoaker » Sun May 28, 2006 9:52 pm

Alrighty, I'm looking to make a cheap homemade, I plan to use a garden hose nozzel as the nozzle, A bike pump as the pump, and a water bottle as the water container (can't think of a better word right now) SO, I've tried using my own designs but I can't get it to work! any help? (I have some PVC and hot glue, a file and a hacksaw, drill and other tools so don't worry about them (and a dremal :P ) It keeps leaking.... so, uh... how do I make a pressure chamber and stuff, I'm looking through topics for help now, and yes I already have looked at other topics, I just can't get it to work, help please?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 28, 2006 10:00 pm

First of all, skip the forums and head on over to the homemade articles at SSC...they should tell you basically everything you need. The one labelled "Air Pressure Homemade" is a great choice. However, the "Power Blaster" is another that uses a Schrader valve (bike pump)...

I'm not sure exactly how you think homemades are built. Here's a basic flow chart that tracks the path of water within the soaker: Reservoir > 1st check valve > Pump > 2nd check valve > Pressure chamber (PC) > Ball valve > Nozzle. The (very) brief description you provided isn't very clear about what you used for all of these items, if you did indeed have all of these. The APH, or the first design I identified in the first paragraph, should clearly demonstrate all these parts--however, its reservoir is in a backpack and connects via a hose to the 1st check valve at the rear of the soaker. The PCs, in case you were wondering, are just those two large pieces of PVC sticking out of the top of the soaker, and there's nothing special about them.

EDIT: Don't change designs primarily with price in mind...

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Sun May 28, 2006 10:10 pm

D'oh! Thanks, That page has all I need on it (yeah, I have most of that stuff....) Thanks! Oh and I forgot to mention, I want to make it air pressure.... I think I've got a design in my head already.... let's see If it works! (Thanks again!) One thing, I don't get how to get the water through the pump... (and I'm mssing a few valves)
Last edited by supersoaker on Sun May 28, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

st_jimmy

Post by st_jimmy » Sun May 28, 2006 11:14 pm

It doesnt sound like you know how super soakers work. DONT try to make a homemade unless you do, there is no magic involved and your gun wont work. I recommend you look at this website: http://science.howstuffworks.com/water-blaster3.htm
The second picture shows very well the arrangement of valves and such.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 29, 2006 12:40 am

I'm not sure exactly what you don't understand about the pump, so I'll just explain all I know about it.

The pump comprises a hollow tube, and inside it, a plunger is attached to a pump shaft. When you extend the pump, the plunger is moved closer to the opening of the pump tube, and you could say that it is "sucking" matter into the now larger compartment within the pump. Because the plunger creates a tight seal, air from outside can't enter; thus, water must enter from the other opening. The second check valve (check valve = one-way valve) only allows water to go away from the pump and to the PC, so the entering water can't come from there. However, the first pump will allow water to move out of the reservoir and into the pump tube, so that is what happens.

When you pull the pump and make the interior compartment smaller, water is "pushed"--and once again due to the special check valve layout, it can only move into the PC. Thus, by pumping, you are forcing water into the PC.

However, I highly recommend reading the HowStuffWorks guide. It is extremely informative, and when you understand how the pump system works, I'll be able to hear you say "Ah-hah!" over here in Virginia. Trust me, the system is very easy to understand, and anybody who can turn on a computer and post at SSC will easily understand. Good luck with your next homemade, but remember: SSC is not just a place to hang out and talk about soakers--it is a place where you can share and perfect ideas that you will eventually put into action.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Mon May 29, 2006 1:20 am

SilentGuy wrote: The second check valve (check valve = one-way valve) only allows water to go away from the pump and to the PC, so the entering water can't come from there. However, the first pump will allow water to move out of the reservoir and into the pump tube, so that is what happens.

When you pull the pump and make the interior compartment smaller, water is "pushed"--and once again due to the special check valve layout, it can only move into the PC. Thus, by pumping, you are forcing water into the PC.
Did you hear that "aha"? I know how a super soaker works (now) I've never opened one up (is ashamed) because where I play no modifications, so no reason to, So thanks to both of you (figures the only thing I don't have are check valves)
Alright, so here's my design:Image
The light blue is water, pink is the nozzle, that big rectangle beside the nozzle is the resevoir, and the thing on the bottom is the pump (half filled with water :p
(click it)

So, obviously, that is just the pump, resevoir and firing chamber, but would that work?
Or:
Oh and just so ya know, I want to builld this because I'm just playing with my friends, and new rules this year, I can also argue, that if they don't like it "It's not a modification, It's a stock gun" (Homemade, but a stock awesome homemade)
Last edited by supersoaker on Mon May 29, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 29, 2006 2:34 am

Overall, the design looks good now. However, there are still some suggestions: Have the tube leading from the pump tube and to the second check valve/PC exit the pump tube right next to the closed end of the pump, and near the inflow tube. Otherwise, when the pump is pushed in all the way, the plunger will pass the outflow tube and...well, it'll be a big mess and the soaker won't be too functional. You can probably figure out why this would be a problem.

Also, you'll need to have a PC, and the "barrel" simply won't suffice. There has to be a lot of volume for the PC and a lot of air inside, as that will allow for sufficient pressurization to get enough power. Also, you'll want to mount the PC(s) vertically, to let the air float to the top--that'll make sure that only water leaves the soaker, and the precious air (needed for pressurization) won't escape. Alternatively, what you drew is unintentionally a piston powered soaker--in other words, as you pull on the pump, water is shot out the nozzle. While the streams produced from it will be narrow, short, and will stop between pumps, it can be effective if you're strong enough to pull hard and get good range (also more effective with 3/4" pump). However, a good APH is the better choice.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Mon May 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Alright, well I Think I'm just going to make the APH that Doom(?) Made, It's on the home page, the air pressure one. Seems really cool, with the unique nozzle system and all...

st_jimmy

Post by st_jimmy » Mon May 29, 2006 11:21 pm

Be sure to use a metal ball valve though, they are MUCH easier to turn. Try turning a plastic ball valve and then a metal one at the hardware store, and you will see what I mean right away. Also, it might be better if you have a reservoir attached to the gun, rather than a backpack as shown in the guide. Either one is fine, I made a backpack, but it is definately something to consider.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 29, 2006 11:31 pm

In case you didn't know, Doom changed his name to Ben a while ago...that's right, the Doom who wrote practically all the articles at SSC is also the administrator and homemade genius here at the forums, and don't you forget that ;) .

Yes, the APH is a near-perfect soaker for nearly everybody. As the article states, you should consider making a few changes: namely, an on-gun reservoir if that's your preference, and different numbers of PCs. However, the backpack reservoir detailed in the Tech>Mods section should be excellent, and two PCs is reasonable. One PC is slightly more battle practical, as you can obtain pressure much more quickly, but more PCs provide longer shot time. As st_jimmy also suggested, metal ball valves are better; I finally went and compared the two, and especially after greasing and loosening the metal valve, that is superior. Good luck with your homemade.

EDIT: Most homemades include that nozzle selector...
Last edited by Silence on Mon May 29, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Tue May 30, 2006 1:27 am

SilentGuy wrote:

EDIT: Most homemades include that nozzle selector...
Oh well, It's still cool.. (kind of)

I'm going to use a backpack, I already used one for an attempt at a homemade, so why waste it?

Yeah, The article said doom and He's still doom on Isoaker (uhh.... haven't checked that lately so don't quote me on it) But Thanks for all the help, you guys really helped me, I'll probably start in a week or two (I only have 20$ right now, Pretty much broke....) I think I'll only use 1 PC though..

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 30, 2006 1:52 am

Ben still uses the name Doom at iScF, at SMF, and at Soaker Sagas. Maybe he can't change his username at those places...

People have suggested using ball valves to connect multiple PCs. For example, your soaker could have two PCs and look like the standard APH, except that the tubing to each PC involves a ball valve (PVC is fine in this situation). Using the ball valves, you can select how many PCs you want--and although you can have no ball valve to the primary PC, having one allows you to pressurize everything beforehand and then close one of the PCs.

Just a thought, of course, and good luck with your homemade.

powersurge919

Oh_RLY 0v0

Post by powersurge919 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:00 am

Well if you know how to make a simple air presure gun
you can do what i do and use a small battery powered
bike pump it makes things a whole lot easier especialy
in my agrresor cannon.youll see the agrresor soon...

powersurge919

Post by powersurge919 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:05 am

supersoaker wrote:I've never opened one up (is ashamed) because where I play no modifications, so no reason to...
okay that is wrong because every soaker owner needs
to disasemble their gun for cleaning, HECK even my 6 year old brother cleans his that way. you should clean your gun
at least every month. :cool:

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 8:15 pm

First of all, in the post editor, you don't need to hit [Enter] between each line--vBulletin automatically word wraps.

In general, automatic pressurization techniques are slow. However, you could use your air compressor to fill a tank, or it could be part of a filling station. However, if the Scorpion can do it (it's not small, though), you might be able to do so as well.

Why would you need to disassemble a soaker every month just to clean it up? In any case, good soakers won't leak, so nothing should get out of the actual plumbing. Also, if supersoaker said that he has not opened up a gun, then that's the truth--it's not like he can be wrong.