New to the Forums...

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Xray

Post by Xray » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:23 pm

Hello everyone, im new here, and just found out that im not the only one doing this stuff (and thay there are MANY people doing this stuff).

I have been doing high-pressure bottle rockets for a long time, and I've always had super soakers, so I thought I'd combine the two. I made a basic 2-L Pop-Bottle backpack gun /w a highly modified garden nozzle. I have a pressure guage mounted in the pistol/trigger and I've pressure tested it to ~130 PSI. I tried it at about 100 psi , with abuot 2/3 water and 1/3 air... it WOULD be amazing, except for the fact that it puts out 1.2 L of water in about 0.5 seconds. The 'gun' (or nozzle... whatever) hit me in the shoulder because of kickback, I may have to make a rifle-butt type thing.

Now im in the process of making a 6+ L backpack tank, with a (Highly) K-Modded tank taken from an old s-s hooked to the trigger and a battery powered air compressor onboard. The air compressor isnt for sure yet... it'll be hard to water proof it and the batt-pack. Any suggestions?

PS: Pop-bottles CAN hold upwards of 140 PSI without exploding. bottles have been tested to 180 for bottle-rocketry and have withstood this pressure for a few mins... so im not worried about it blowing up on me
:Hey, that's funny.:

-blake

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:03 pm

Air pressure and K modding don't work together. CPS pressure is not air pressure, adding an air compressor will not make it more powerful. If you're making a high air pressure water gun, I would recommend PVC as it can hold much more pressure than a 2 liter and is much easier to work with. Think easy 200 psi with schedule 80 PVC. Putting an air compressor in a backpack wouldn't be very good either, after looking at the weight of them you'll never want to do it. What would be much better is compressed gas such as co2, not much has been done with that but it is better. You can then regulate the pressure, and no pumping or anything is necesary!

Xray

Post by Xray » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:15 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Apr 19 2004, 04:03 PM
Air pressure and K modding don't work together. CPS pressure is not air pressure, adding an air compressor will not make it more powerful. If you're making a high air pressure water gun, I would recommend PVC as it can hold much more pressure than a 2 liter and is much easier to work with. Think easy 200 psi with schedule 80 PVC. Putting an air compressor in a backpack wouldn't be very good either, after looking at the weight of them you'll never want to do it. What would be much better is compressed gas such as co2, not much has been done with that but it is better. You can then regulate the pressure, and no pumping or anything is necesary!
1. The gun im making now is NON air pressure, just an un-pressurized backpack tank and a pump /w K-Modded CPS 'ball' for the actual 'shooting' water.

2. PVC costs a heck of a lot more (especially when your looking for 2 or 3 inch ID Tubing) than a few 2-L pop-bottles. Wrap the bottles in fibreglass strapping tape & maybe a little epoxy or PL Premium and it will easily hold over 200 PSI.

3. I have an air compessor that pumps upwards of 250 PSI, and weighs less than a pound. A total of ~ 2 pounds for the compessor and a battery.

4. co2 is a very good idea, I already have a 9oz co2 tank from my paintball gun, but im not in the financial position to buy pressure regulators and high-pressure fittings.

5. I REALLY need a job, ive yet to earn any money [at] age 16 lmao - the $10 allowance doesn't cut it

Not to be a smart-guy (can't say the word that fits better) about how I replied, it looks like im mocking you or something... but im just pointing out why my ideas ARN'T as bad as you think they are :P

-blake

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:34 am

You aren't the blake from the old http://blake.prohosting.com are you? I think that site's down now...
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Xray

Post by Xray » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:07 pm

No im not... Hey, that's funny., I have my websites on my own server with their own domain names.

-blake

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:35 pm

I don't think you were mocking me, I misunderstood what you were saying. I think I also underestimated your knowledge, you seem to know quite a good amount.

Where did you find that portable compressor? Every single one I've looked at was way too expensive and heavy to use good.

You can't buy CPS tubing in a ball shape. It only comes in the cylindrical form, it's like regular tubing. It would be better if you could K mod homemades, K modding is much simpler.

As for the money problem, I have the same problem, I don't have enought to make all my ideas, many are sXPBackfire-esqueped because of that. I'm 15 btw, not too much younger than you.

If you need any help, feel free to post here, we know a lot. ;)

Xray

Post by Xray » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:52 pm

:) I actually know what im talking about, most of the time. Hey, that's funny.

I've always been one of those "do it yourself" kind of people, I have done so many things just 'cause id think I could do it better myself :rolleyes:

Most of my money was recently blown on zip-line cable (or cable-line) , it costs almost 0.35C a foot, and I got 350 feet of the stuff... ill have a job in the summer and ill start with my 'projects' again. I have even made a decent battle bot in the past, but my parents didn't approve after the saw blade on it 'hooked' a 4-foot 2x4 peice and threw it into the ceiling... ahh well.

DoomSoaker if you have any ideas for a good trigger valve id love to hear them. ive already tried the ball-valve way, and tried a garden-nozzle but it leaks at high pressure... hopefully you've got some ideas, or something youve already made :D

-blake

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:49 am

I've had success making a pull type valve, but my design needs some work. Ball valves are good, but they really don't work as good as a trigger. I'll see what I can draw of the pull valve, I'll post it soon.