Storm 1000: Is it worth it?

General water gun discussion.
Flannel

Storm 1000: Is it worth it?

Post by Flannel » Thu May 04, 2006 2:49 am

Anybody know of any threads or have any experience with the Storm 1000 water gun? I was wondering because I just bought it from goodwill, and was wondering if it was worth the trouble of trying to fix it ( since its broke ).

Its has a green tank and pump handle with a purple case. I tried searching for it on google but had no such luck.

Any pictures, help, or comments?

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 3:07 am

Are you sure the Storm 1000 exists? I did several different searches for it on both Google and Yahoo! but absolutely nothing came up. Then, I checked out the reviews at the main SSC site. The Storm 1000 isn't listed, even though they list soakers that haven't been reviewed. I don't really know the older soakers, so I'm at a loss too.

ZOCCOZ might know something about this--he usually has a good wealth of information about the more "unconventional" water guns.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu May 04, 2006 4:42 am

Storm 1000 eh?

http://www.alltoolshere.com/toys1/B00004S9NM.html

When it comes to Storm, then Pistols are their strength usualy. According to most accounts, Storm pistols are superior to Super Soaker pistols due to a better steady stream and the dual action pumping on their newer models. Storm Cannons of course can't keep up with the good old 90s CPS cannons. But then again, in this decade, the bar is prity low in CPS performance.

If I am not mistaken, the Storm 1000 has a dual action pump(pumps air in both directions), so this pistol should be worth repairing.
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Thu May 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Wow. I didn't know I had such a gem. I mean 45'? I think thats pretty good. Pumps in both directions huh? Is that common or uncommon? I would that would be an advantage.

Thanks ZoccoZ, SilentGuy.

Here is the problem. The pump would not even go forward or backwards. I pried and pulled and pushed. Not even an inch. Finally I pushed so hard the piece of plastic that feeds air into the air tank broke (for lack of a better description) Anyway. I hacksawed opened the slinding handle pump thing and determined this...

The o-ring in the pump was in pieces, and was stopping the pump shaft from going up and down. So, I will undertake the long and hard journey to find an o-ring to replace the broken one, and and get some type of waterproof glue to re-attach some broken pump pieces.

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 04, 2006 5:33 pm

O-rings are extremely common and extremely cheap [70 cents for a pack of 4]. Any hardware store should have a variety of sizes. Pumps that pump on both strokes are somewhat rare, and they do provide the advantage of pressurizing quickly. I actually drew up designs for a double-stroke pump on an APH, but for some reason didn't make it. Image

Now you know that when something won't move, there's something wrong with it and one should not attempt to move it harder. I also learned this the hard way [breaking the plastic column in a pump shaft] for a similar reason.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu May 04, 2006 7:26 pm

Flannel wrote:Wow. I didn't know I had such a gem. I mean 45'? I think thats pretty good. Pumps in both directions huh? Is that common or uncommon? I would that would be an advantage.

Dual action pumps would pressurize faster than a normal pump. As far as I know Storm is the only one with that feature, and usualy only their pistols.

Now having said that, its more likely it will shoot 35' instead of 45'. Stores always exacturate their stats.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 10:45 pm

Yeah, I doubt many soakers actually reach their advertised range. However, 35' is still pretty good for a pistol.

Somewhere, Ben recently suggested building homemades with pumps like this (pump on both strokes)--as he said, it shouldn't be too hard. I've been thinking about it, and I'm going to start a thread about it right now. Since I haven't built any good homemades yet, I still have time to add this to my designs...

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Sun May 07, 2006 2:44 am

Cool. Thanks guys. I will now move on to water proof glues. GG is waterproof right. But I don't like the way it dries and expands.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 07, 2006 3:02 am

Exactly how did the company attach the O-ring to the pump? That is important in this case, at least...

I haven't had much cause to use waterproof glues (yet); I'm assuming GG stands for "Gorilla Glue." The other type I know is epoxy (and that purple primer stuff for PVC).

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Mon May 08, 2006 2:51 am

Gorilla Glue, thats what I meant.

I could explain how the o-ring went but I'd rather just do a write up on replacing the o-ring with pics and stuff.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 am

I have absolutely zero experience with storm guns.

However, if a pistol can reach 35'+ range, then it should be worth it...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston