Most powerful guns

General water gun discussion.
resh

Most powerful guns

Post by resh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:15 pm

In the lineup of water guns available today, which models are the most powerful?

I actually have a CPS 2000, but I foolishly left it to rot outside for some 10 years, and now it doesn't work. :( (The pump sprays a weak stream of water out of the gun, instead of into the rubber chamber.)

So I'm looking for a new stock gun that will at least remotely resemble it.

Spinner

Re: Most powerful guns

Post by Spinner » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you have the trigger valve permanently open. It might still be repairable; have a look at the repair guide on the site.

I'll leave it to those who have actually used the latest guns to recommend one to you.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

That problem usually is easily fixed so your CPS 2000 probably will be working soon again.

If it doesn't work or you still want to buy a new water gun read this page. Be aware that nothing today is even remotely close to the CPS 2000 though. The top end water guns I suggested in that FAQ page use essentially the same system but toned down greatly.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Welcome to the forums! Spinner linked to a very easy repair, so you should have little problem with that. None of the modern water guns even come close to the CPS 2000 is power.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 pm

The CPS 2000 has the most range and output of any water gun ever sold. The only thing you can do for a new gun to match the CPS 2000 is a homemade. So I really hope you can get the current gun fixed.

From the current guns, if what you want is range, get the Orca. If want you want is output, get the Arctic Blast. However both those guns have only a fraction of the CPS 2000's capabilities.

resh

Post by resh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Thanks a bunch, people! I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll make do with an Arctic Blast.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:14 pm

If you aren't successful you probably could still get rather good money for a broken CPS 2000. Consider posting it in our marketplace section in that case.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Almost no gun, excluding the CPS 2500, came close to raw power of the CPS 2000 after it was released. It's sad really. They stopped selling the big guns a few years ago, so even if you buy an Arctic Blast, be aware that it really is only a pistol, especially when compared to the cannon of the CPS 2000. The Orca is likely the largest gun sold at this point, but it's not a CPS 2000.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:59 pm

It is worth bearing in mind that while the 2000 is the most powerful gun, that doesn't make it automatically the 'best'. The most notable drawback is it only has the one, huge, nozzle. That means that while it gives a powerful blast, that blast only lasts a second! Then you have to spend time repumping. So if you miss, or are faced with multiple enemies, you could be screwed. You'll also be heading back to the filling station rather more often than with some other soakers.

resh

Post by resh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for all the replies... I realize current guns are pathetic next to the 2000, but I still rather buy something new if I don't manage to fix it.
Drenchenator wrote:The Orca is likely the largest gun sold at this point
It's not as powerful as the Arctic Blast though, right?
cantab wrote:It is worth bearing in mind that while the 2000 is the most powerful gun, that doesn't make it automatically the 'best'.
Yeah well, even a single hit with that crazy thing will make my day. :)

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:51 pm

Comparison for you

http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/soaker_c ... erB=wworca

Basically, the AB is indeed more powerful - but only at close range. If your target is out of range of the big blast (and if they have any sense they will be), you have only the rather piddly stream. The Orca has a range of nozzle settings, most of which outdo the AB, and it will shoot a thick stream.
In a duel, I'd say the Orca definitely wins one-hit-kills, and probably wins soakfest. In a more complex battle, however, the AB might have advantages. Hit-and-run tactics are good with it.
The Orca is similar to the smaller CPS line blasters, though with less output. The AB is rather different.
If you can afford both, I reckon they might make a good combo. Use the Orca for most purposes, and keep the AB ready to unleash its blast if you get the chance. You'd need to get a strap for the AB though.
Also, there are two marks of the Orca. The first has the reservoir cap mounted at the bottom. This makes it easier to fill from shallow sinks, but it leaks, makes funny noises, and draws air into the PC (which you don't want with elastic pressure). The new version has the cap moved, removing the problems, but meaning it will take a larger sink to fill it.
Finally, it's a bit of an unfair comparison, since the Orca is the larger blaster, it is expected to be more powerful. The Arctic Blast compares VERY well against most other blasters of similar size (though it's weaker than its direct predecessor the Flash Flood).

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:15 pm

^ Thats what the nozzle drilling modification is for and its pretty critical for both the FF and AB which both have pretty small nozzles. Unfortunately, it seems to be hard to drill them correctly without causing turbulence to the stream.

The pressure chamber strength and the diameter of the valves and pipes makes the AB the more powerful over the Orca. Its a pity because otherwise the Orca could perform much better on its largest nozzle.

resh

Post by resh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Thanks for the comparison! The Orca does seem nice, though I'm still a bit biased towards Super Soakers (what with their glorious history and all). Is the AB's range (with the flood nozzle) shorter than the simple average water gun's? I mean, I'm not exactly going to use it against "soaker pros" like you, so I don't expect them to have anything too fancy.

In the CPS 2000 front, many of the screws are really rusty so I couldn't get them to move. I suppose I'll have to buy a longer screwdriver. Also, I think the gun leaks when I point it upwards. Hmpf... maybe I'll just give up on this thing and keep it as a relic. (I'm not really into online resale, and shipping this thing abroad seems a bit silly. I live in Israel by the way -- does anyone happen to know an Israeli soaker fan? :rolleyes :)

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 pm

The 'glorious history' of Super Soakers has been replaced by a distinctly poor present. The last performance-oriented line was the Max-D range. Since then, it's just been about gimmicks. Every Super Soaker now has one. Some are fairly good (eg big blasts), and others distinctly not (e.g. attach your own bottle).

The AB's flood nozzle will still outrange a squirt gun, if that's what you mean. And it will get the target seriously wet. I tested it on myself and resulted in a foot-diameter patch of soakage, with more water splashed around. Do bear in mind that if you use it at VERY close range it will probably get you wet as well.

There exist oils designed to get round screw threads and lubricate it so you can remove the screw. You may want to check how they behave with the plastic though.
If all else fails, you'd have to drill out the screws.

Since you're in Israel, I don't know how easy it is to get water pistols there.

resh

Post by resh » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 pm

cantab wrote:The AB's flood nozzle will still outrange a squirt gun, if that's what you mean.
I don't really know what I mean... Here are some photos from Tel Aviv's annual water war, that's the general idea:

And an artistic one...

Since you're in Israel, I don't know how easy it is to get water pistols there.
New ones? Well there's Toys R Us here, they must have SS at least. I already saw the SS Transformers thing in a smaller toy store. Actually, I'm pretty sure I bought the CPS in Israel all those years ago. Not sure about WW though...