CPS 1200 Review
Shot Time = 3 seconds
Output = 9x-5.5x
Distance = 40-45 feet
Pumps = 20-22
Length = 23 inches
Tank size = around 2.3 Litre
PC size = around 620 ml

Oddly enough, I have never done a CPS 1200 review. But since the CPS 1200 seems to have somewhat of a not so great reputation, I simply had to write one.

Well, the filling is relativly easy just like any small CPS cannon. Fairly sturdy build and no major leaks. The pumping is very easy and smooth. Not as durable as a trackmounted pump, but then again trackmounted pumps are less smooth when pumping.

Performance is where it shines. I remember when I sold CPS 1200s on ebay 2004, I mentioned that it is more powerfull than a CPS 2100, and other sellers(who sold CPS 2100s) where calling me a liar since that somewhat ruined their claim of their item being the most powerfull soaker on ebay. Well, I wasn't lieing, and it is a very likely fact. The first second of output of the CPS 1200 in this review got around 275 ml. Thats 9.1X. Obviously, not every second will have 9X output, since the PC would have to be around 800 ml large. So the output would whine down to the end around 7X-5.5X at the last second. To show that I am not bull-EESting you, I even made a litle domo clip of the 1 econd output. Which shows that a CPS stream might not be so constant with output than usualy believed.
Also, the archieved distance was a 40-45 feet. Which is impressive for a small CPS cannon and fairly better than the 35-40 that most of my CPS 2100s got in the past.
I said it a few times before, and I will say it again. The CPS 1200 is probably my favorite small CPS cannon(and I have used them all) and very underated in forums. I like it more than the CPS 2100, just a tad more than the CPS 1000, and alot more than the Blazer. Unless someone is very desperate for a large vararity of nozzle selections and prefers those over raw power, the old CPS 1200 is a good choice over anything right now in retail.

On a sidenote, I just CVF my other CPS 1200 to see how it will perform as a k-modded soaker. Perhaps 65 feet? We will see.

[Edit]: I also used the grey CPS 1200 version, and it felt weaker and distance seems less to. The internals are also somewhat different. So if you get a CPS 1200, you will have to decide if you want power or looks when it comes to the different versions.

Shot Clip 1
Shot Clip 2
Output Clip

Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Fri May 19, 2006 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 10:52 pm

Not bad, though it sounds very much like a CPS 1500/1700: good performance for its size, and it has very similar stats and size. I wouldn't say anybody truly looks down upon the CPS 1200 (I mean, it's got to be better than modern commercial soakers), but I'd probably prefer a CPS 1500/1700 if I had a choice. In your experience, what is the difference between these two models (the 1200 and the 1500/1700)?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu May 18, 2006 11:02 pm

The CPS 1500 is better, mainly just because of the larger PC, tank and that 10X nozzle option. Distance or power isn't any different from the smaller older CPS cannons.(I have used a CPS 1500 and CPS 1700. My current Monster XL matches its distance.) At the end, a CPS 1000/1200 user should hold his/her own against a CPS 1500. Now having said that, the small CPS cannons are all more durable than the CPS 1500/1700.

[Edit]: The CPS 1200 is generaly known as a 4Xer with low distance, and therfore seen as somewhat less than a CPS 2100 or CPS 1000. I am trying to disprove that.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 11:10 pm

So you're basically saying that the CPS 1200 is an ideal compromise between the smaller CPS cannons and the medium-sized CPS cannons? I can see the logic behind that...

Next question: How does the CPS 1200 compare to the CPS 1000? I know these questions are somewhat pointless and redundant, but I'd still like to know.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Yes, the CPS 1200 would be a good blend of mobility and power.

I have used 2 CPS 1000s. The power of the CPS 1000 and CPS 1200 is fairly the same. But the CPS 1200 seems to have more of a kick. While the model tested here seems abit above average, it is still very representative of its kind. From what I have tested so far, the CPS 1200 has a tad more power and output. At the least it is equal in power and output to the CPS 1000. Then again, there always are some CPS 1200 lemons as with every soaker. Now having said that, the CPS 1200 is more durable and there are more leaky CPS 1000s out there. The tank and PC is also abit bigger on the CPS 1200.
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Thu May 18, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 12:29 am

That's a much more detailed (quantitatively, at least) comparison of the CPS 1200 and the CPS 1000. I probably wouldn't have bothered to analyze it enough to say that the CPS 1200 is slightly larger and better performing, but it's good to know that, so thanks. Of course, it's hard to tell such small differences when you're actually on the field.

I was actually referring to the CPS 2100 as a small CPS soaker, though I guess in light of this new information, the CPS 1000 might be classified as small--at least when it's compared to the CPS 1200.

I never realized durability was such an important factor, except possibly with the trigger valves (which are somewhat easily repaired/upgraded), but I would still use the CPS 1500/1700. I know, however, that the smaller guns' (especially the CPS 2100) have better durability, but I didn't know that extended to the CPS 1200.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri May 19, 2006 1:27 am

Alot of durability problems of the CPS 1500/1700 is the pump. After long term use, something happens with the pump and even after fixing it, the pump becomes oddly stiff, louder and doesn't push the water as good as before.

The trackmounted pump is the only thing the CPS 2100 has going for it the way I see it. Other than that, it doesn't realy have an advantage. On the other hand, the trackmounted pump realy lacks some smoothness and the other CPS cannons can get pumped much faster.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 2:09 am

If we're on the subject of pumps...

I don't really care too much for track-mounted pumps. They don't give you as good a pumping grip as standard pumps do, especially when they're slippery; as you said, they can be rough; and in homemades and in most commercial soakers, the standard pumps are solid enough as it is. Thanks for such detailed (no offense, but who talks about pumps :p ) information anyway :) ...

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri May 19, 2006 5:50 am

I edited the review, since I meant to say "retail" instead "ebay" at the end of the paragraph.

Some trackmounted pumps are fairly good like the Monster XL 01 and CPS 2000 Mk2. The Monster's pump is fairly nice to. Also, that SS300 pump was very sweet to. I do prefer those over the pumps of other models. But for some reason the CPS 2100 has a very uncomfortable pumping alignment. Especialy when K-Modded, once its all leaky and its all covered in water, pumping is a pain.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 11:26 am

It should NOT leak. When a gun is leaking, it means that there is something wrong. In a k-modded gun, that something wrong is 99% of the time coming from a weak seal/blown open seal in the frozen check valve.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri May 19, 2006 7:41 pm

To be honest, I don't know where the leak is coming from. During the time while the CVF was not correcly sealed while I why doing it, it leaked more, and also had that hissing sound. Now it leaks like before the CVF. That perticular CPS 2100 Mk.2 model was a very leaky gun when I got it even before I opened it up.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 8:31 pm

Well then, don't blame the leak on the K-mod, especially if the mod just made it somewhat worse.

Either way, if it's hard to pump when the water is leaking and spraying everywhere, you could try using that Plasti-Dip stuff I mentioned in "Mission for a better K-mod" as a coating on the pump grip. That way, you'll have an excellent grip on the pump and you can get more power without having your hand slide; I might even do that on my CPS 4100. I didn't know the Monster had a good tracked pump, but that probably means the CPS 4100 has it too. While it doesn't have any major problems, I would probably prefer a standard homemade pump.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 10:45 pm

Try looking around the trigger valve. Leaks often originate there as well.

The 4100 pump design is not all that great. Other guns have better tracked pumps. And "non-tracked" is a better term than "standard" since several guns use tracked pumps, and even some homemades do. In homemade guns, IMO, tracked > non-tracked due to design-related things [like the ability to wrap tape around both the end areas to better helping keep the piping firm]. They also can't pop out like non-tracked pumps, and give you a grip area near the nozzle when you're not shooting.

Don't replace a whole 4100 pump just to have a non-tracked one, just replace the pump handle with something more comfortable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 11:12 pm

I'll start using "non-tracked" instead of "standard," but I still prefer good non-tracked pumps in homemades...

First of all, as Ben has attested, non-tracked homemade pumps are just as solid as tracked ones.

Second, I plan to have the end of the external pump tube in my homemade(s) with a male-threaded fitting; then, I'll cut a hole for the pump shaft to go through in a female-threaded endcap. Once the pump is jammed in, I'll screw on the endcap; and in two-stroke pumps, I'll even put in an O-ring and a washer between the male and female fittings to create the seal.

Finally, I don't see how tracked pumps give you a superior grip area. In commercial soakers, plastic just sticks out in front of the non-tracked pump anyway, and you can use that; and in homemades, you can add basically anything you want, and you can't make the gun any longer (which will always happen with tracked pump homemades).

I don't plan to change the actual pump with a non-tracked one in my CPS 4100; I was just thinking about coating it with liquid rubber or rubber alternative, which will give a very superior grip when the pump handle is wet. I'm not sure if all commercial tracked pumps are like the CPS 4100's, but it doesn't give you too good a grip at all. However, this gives me another (radical) idea: open up the CPS 4100 and cut out the track and old pump, then replace it with a non-tracked, long pump. Its stock pump is only six inches in length, and I really don't mind stretching out only an extra three inches or so to get 1.5X the pumping per stroke :cool: .

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 pm

If you want double stoke pumps, tracked ones are extremely easy to do that with. In fact, I don't even see how a non-tracked one would work with double stroke pumping...

They are both solid, it really just comes down to preference. I have never used a non-tracked pump in a homemade and never will. Actually, now that I think about it, all of my guns, homemade or not, have tracked pumps with the lone exception of the Defender. I've never liked non-tracked, and probably never will either. To each his own I guess.

The 4100 pump handle is very poor and slips a lot. Although there won't be much room for your hand if you replace the whole pump. Your hand wil scrape up against the bottom of the gun in heavy fighting, when you don't have time to take odd grip angles in order to pump it.

You wouldn't be aware of the grip area I'm talking about without having made some homemades first. I prefer to grip the end of the tracked pump shaft rather than the nozzle when not shooting. The tape also makes that more comfortable than gripping the nozzle. Again, doesn't make sense if you haven't built a few homemades before.

And non-tracked pumps are still the majority in the homemade world. Only one person has ever made tracked pumps in homemades, and you can guess who that is...