Leakage CPS

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
affrothunder

Leakage CPS

Post by affrothunder » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:45 am

Sorry to bother everyone, but I am trying to build a Super CPS quickly, but there are some leakage and LRT issues right now.

First of all, the back of the LRT that attaches to the bolt is leaking. I tried to use a smaller tubing clamp and tighten it a lot, but it still leaks.

Secondly, I made the larger LRT a little shorter than the smaller LRT so I wouldn't have to slip it over the clamps on the smaller LRT (I thought the larger LRT was supposed to fit between, not over, the tubing clamps, but I'm not sure if this is correct). However, this causes the pressure bubble to build up near the front or the back where the smaller LRT isn't covered by the larger LRT, the small gap between the larger LRT and the clamp. This makes the larger LRT pretty much useless. Will I need to cut the smaller LRT to make it shorter so the larger LRT goes over the clamps on the smaller LRT? Is there an easy way to remedy this problem?
Last edited by affrothunder on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Re: Leakage CPS

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:52 pm

I've never used a bolt to close up the back end of the LRT, but it should seal fine if the bolt fits tightly onto the tube. Perhaps the bolt on yours is too small; you'll know if its just sliding in and if you don't need any effort to get it in. Or maybe the bolt is too short and you aren't clamping it at a good spot. The bolt should be at least 1", preferably at least 1.5" to be safe.

The clamps absolutely must be tight enough so that the outside surface of the LRT gets bent in a few millimeters at the point where its clamped. Overtightening may damage the tube, but its got to be tight enough to seal against the pressure. Since you didn't mention any problems with the hose barb connection (just the bolt), I assume this isn't the problem.

As for the 2nd layer of LRT, that should be the same length of the first tube. The clamp should be placed on the second layer as well, tightened enough so the first layer is sealed.

Now, before clamping, you may want to put 1 or 2 layers of electrical or stronger tape over the area to be clamped since the clamps will cut into the tube.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Maybe teflon tape on the bolt's threads would help. But tightening more is probably a good idea too. The best option is to use a hose barb plug (with no opening for the water to leave) instead.

The lengths of the two layers should probably be as close as possible. C-A 99, I believe Ben only clamps the inner layer, so it may work as is.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm

It looks like you're going to have to trim the smaller LRT to match the larger. Obviously this will reduce capacity a bit, but it shouldn't be that bad.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 pm

Well, I've found that it's much easier to have both layers the same length and to clamp the outside layer. Makes it so much easier and you never have to deal with any bulging nor improper LRT expansion.