broken super cannon!!!!!!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
cps zer0

broken super cannon!!!!!!

Post by cps zer0 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:19 pm

i made a super cannon type gun and the piston cup is on a odd angle. what do i do?

P.S the gun is made from 2'' and 3/4'' pvc.

aEx155

Re: broken super cannon!!!!!!

Post by aEx155 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 pm

How can you tell the piston is at an odd angle? Is the PVC clear? Have you not assembled (glued) it yet? Is your assembled gun leaking?

If you haven't glued your gun yet, your best bet is to push the piston all the way out and ntry to re-insert it. If you have, though, then you will have to cut an end off of the gun so that you can remove/replace/re-position the piston. If you do cut it, make sure you leave room a coupler so that you can rejoin the ends.

Lastly, if you want to avoid this happening, make sure you have two pistons linked together (like in the Supercannon II) or your piston is long enough to prevent twisting.

Details on your gun would be nice, too.

cps zer0

Post by cps zer0 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm

i have glued it and it is leaking. i have two pistons linked together. when i was testing it a few days ago i pushed the piston to far down so i put the bicycle pump on the schrader valve to push up the piston and i heared a leak. so i looked down the barrel and saw bubbles coming out the water leftover from the other shot.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Well, if that's the case, then the only solution would be to remove and replace the piston; this means that you have to cut it open. When you do that, make sure you leave enough pipe to put a coupler so that you can rejoin the pipe afterwards. If that doesn't make sense, then I'll add a picture.

cps zer0

Post by cps zer0 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 pm

but if you push the piston cup too far down it will get stuck in the space between the coupling and the pipe.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:44 am

Both of your pistons must have gone over the separation. There's nothing you can do aside from cutting the chamber open and realigning them as aEx suggested. If you want to avoid this problem you could add a stopper to prevent the pistons from moving farther than you want to.

Vickers303

Post by Vickers303 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 pm

I had a similar problem with my supercannon II. The best solution is to open it up, disassemble the piston, and add nuts to the bolt. Reliability is greatly increased, and I believe that the piston may be able to withstand higher pressures.
Why isn't there a water gun armored vehicle yet?

Arsenal: Modded Supercannon, Backpack-modified Piston Gun, WBL, Storm 300 Pistol, and a whole slew of defunct soakers in the garage.

cps zer0

Post by cps zer0 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:29 pm

i already had a nut on the bolt.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:10 am

He meant a spacer of some sort (like a nut, a few washers, or an actual spacer) between the two pistons so that they literally can not rotate. With a spacer there is no chance of rotation. ;)

cps zer0

Post by cps zer0 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:12 pm

i have a nylon spacer between the piston cups.

P.S. i have a spacer leftover so i can take a pic of it.