Super Soaker 50: 20th Anniversary Edition

General water gun discussion.
Finnster

Super Soaker 50: 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by Finnster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 am

Well, I've recently (earlier today) bought two of these bad boys, and was very happy with my purchase. Just a moment ago, I tested out one of the blasters.

Range Level (last drop): 24-25 feet
Range Angeled (last drop): 33-35 feet

Unfortunately, I forgot to count the shot time except once, which shot the full range for 13 SECONDS, it shot less than full range for MUCH, MUCH, MUCH longer than that, though. This gun has insane shot time. Another thing to mention is the comfort. This is very comfortable for a super soaker, it's pretty nice. I have yet to use a more comfortable water blaster. I think this will be darn near perfect for assassins this month (if I carry some extra reloads, err, bottles, with me). Questions?

Finn

Silence

Re: Super Soaker 50: 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:36 am

From what I hear, I'm impressed. Now imagine if they worked this kind of quality into a larger water gun! :D

Finnster, we don't have a review on the 20th-anniversary SS 50, so do you mind if we publish your post as the first one?

k9turrent

Post by k9turrent » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:56 am

Sweet!, The stores in my area have them on sale...

Finnster... are you Rifleman on the nerf forums?

Finnster

Post by Finnster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:07 pm

k9turrent wrote:Sweet!, The stores in my area have them on sale...

Finnster... are you Rifleman on the nerf forums?
Yes I'm BR1, they appear to be on sale at most places they're sold. Silence: No, I don't mind if you publish this, just tell me if you need anymore information on them. I'm also planning on making a quick firing video.

Finn

Finnster

Post by Finnster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Well, I just tried it with 130 pumps, instead of 30 pumps. I'm pretty sure that the OPV kicked in there sometime, but it shot with full force (and probably full range) until it was completely out. Simply put: This gun is awsome; if you see it in stores, pick it up, you'll be very glad that you did.

EDIT: Whoops, double post, my bad...

Finn

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah, the pressure release valve probably did kick in at some point.

From what you're saying, the SS50 re-release sounds like a constant pressure water gun...is that right? Since you have two you may be able to compare them side-by-side: one at full capacity, and the other after 5 pumps or so.

Double posts are forgiveable and actually preferred after a couple hours. Things start to look messy when someone's posts are only a few minutes apart.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:10 am

Depending on how full the reservoir is to begin with, a pressurised-reservoir gun can have relatively little stream drop-off. It's one of the often-forgotten advantages of the design IMHO.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Finnster

Post by Finnster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:14 am

Silence wrote:Yeah, the pressure release valve probably did kick in at some point.

From what you're saying, the SS50 re-release sounds like a constant pressure water gun...is that right? Since you have two you may be able to compare them side-by-side: one at full capacity, and the other after 5 pumps or so.

Double posts are forgiveable and actually preferred after a couple hours. Things start to look messy when someone's posts are only a few minutes apart.
Well, I'm not sure what a constant pressure water gun is, but at five pumps I could achieve about 10 feet flat and could fire that distance for about two seconds. Another thing to add to this post: I can achieve the full angled range at thirty pumps, with 100 pumps at no angle.

Finn

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:17 am

'Constant pressure' means that the internal pressure, and consequently the stream range and power, remain fairly constant during the course of the shot.

It's most usually understood to refer to the 'Constant Pressure System' (commonly abbreviated CPS), which uses a rubber chamber (like a balloon, but much thicker) to pressurise the water.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

k9turrent

Post by k9turrent » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:32 am

It's most usually understood to refer to the 'Constant Pressure System' (commonly abbreviated CPS), which uses a rubber chamber (like a balloon, but much thicker) to pressurise the water.
Similar to the Bladder in the Nerf Magstrike (yah!!! first contribution)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:49 am

CPS is a term generally only used for rubber bladdered guns. (that is, bladder, not disk) Constant pressure however, simply means the pressure is fairly consistent throughout a stream. (i.e. the stream doesn't drop off as its shot) In CPS and LPD (low pressure dropoff, an air pressure system with a high air to water ratio), the pressure is fairly constant. In air pressure setups with regulators, the pressure is perfectly constant.

With that said, constant pressure is attainable in pressurized reservoir blasters (like the SS 50) by pumping constantly. If the pump can put in as much or more air than is being used up by the loss of water, the pressure will be perfectly constant as long as you keep pumping while shooting.

Finnster

Post by Finnster » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Ah, well, I'm pretty sure that this gun is not a CPS. It uses an airtank, which is connected to the water resivoir. If you unscrew the gun when it's pumped, you'll lose all of the pressure, and some water, too.

Finn
1x NIB xp-70, 1x xp-70, 2x SS50, 1x Riot Blast Flash Flood (mah boom stick), 1x HydroBlitz, 1x Helix,
1x SneakShot, 2x Cheap Piston Pumpers, 2x XP-215, several cheap squirt pistols

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Its pressurized reservoir like I said. The pump simply puts air into the reservoir. If you fill it up fully, you only need a few pumps to get higher pressure since water is not compressible (and is taking up most of the space) However, the pressure will be lost fast and since there isn't a lot of air, it won't be able to push the water out as effectively. This is why PR guns are typically only filled to no more than 3/4 full.

Finnster

Post by Finnster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Well, I've just found a fairly large problem with this gun: When the tank is only 1/3 full or less, you can't shoot at a downwards angle.

Finn
1x NIB xp-70, 1x xp-70, 2x SS50, 1x Riot Blast Flash Flood (mah boom stick), 1x HydroBlitz, 1x Helix,
1x SneakShot, 2x Cheap Piston Pumpers, 2x XP-215, several cheap squirt pistols

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Finnster wrote:Well, I've just found a fairly large problem with this gun: When the tank is only 1/3 full or less, you can't shoot at a downwards angle.

Finn
Many guns will have that. It's not such a big problem, because normally you're NOT firing downwards.
Arsenal: