Engineering Nerd

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
kevinthenerd

Engineering Nerd

Post by kevinthenerd » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm Kevin "The Nerd," a mechanical engineering student at the University of Central Florida. I like to design crazy versions of various toys. I want to eventually build the ultimate water gun.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:15 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! I think you should find that you're right at home.

What sort of mechanical engineering are you doing? If you haven't already, take some fluid mechanics and dynamics courses so you can come and teach us a thing or two. ;)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:03 pm

The ultimate watergun is a rather vague concept to be aiming for.

And sadly it's not quite possible - it will always be possible to make something that fires a foot further, has fractionally more output or carries slightly more water - and power and practicality don't necessarily match up.

If you are to build a water gun, how would you class one as being better than another? - it's an endless debate, and every one has different ideas - so ultimate can only really apply to one person.

So, never claim supremacy of your water weapon.

Have you considered build wbls as well? I'm sure that this would be an interesting thing for you to try.

Perhaps you should attempt the challenge in the physics section.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

kevinthenerd

Post by kevinthenerd » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:23 am

Yes, "ultimate" is quite subjective, and it's meant to be quite subjective here. I will never claim it's better than another when it's finally built, but in my eyes, it will have been the accumulation of a long period of design and careful construction in order to be as optimal as possible for my own purposes, given my own constraints and priorities.
joannaardway wrote:The ultimate watergun is a rather vague concept to be aiming for.

And sadly it's not quite possible - it will always be possible to make something that fires a foot further, has fractionally more output or carries slightly more water - and power and practicality don't necessarily match up.

If you are to build a water gun, how would you class one as being better than another? - it's an endless debate, and every one has different ideas - so ultimate can only really apply to one person.

So, never claim supremacy of your water weapon.

Have you considered build water balloon launchers as well? I'm sure that this would be an interesting thing for you to try.

Perhaps you should attempt the challenge in the physics section.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Keep in mind what goes on here at the forums. Along with any engineering courses, the posts here should give you an idea of the more advanced techniques, though you may have some newer, more professional ones to share. I guess I could always ask my dad, but I doubt he'd be interested in water guns.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I have no doubt that you can build a water gun that will more than satisfy you.

It will almost definately be worth having, but I assure you, there will be someone who will prefer something else.

@silentguy: Try asking your dad - he might be interested, and at the very worst he'll say he hasn't got time - it's a win-draw situation.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:23 am

Yeah, you're right--after all, I never said that my dad would get mad just for asking :D . He's getting his final UVA promotion soon, so maybe in the summer, when he'll only be researching (no course lectures), he might have some time off. Besides, you can always use some help with PVC ;) .

EDIT: Man, I can't wait for summer break. There's so much water gun stuff that I've been having to put off (I finally couldn't resist joining the forums, after an entire winter of viewing them).