my first aph/tilted PC?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
mysterio

my first aph/tilted PC?

Post by mysterio » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Hello SSC

Ive been browsing for a few days, and recently had the idea for a tilted pc, as in a 45 degree angle. i know that 45 degree joints exist, but would it work better that way rather than up and down? also, if i were to arrange two PC's this way, using a t connector and an additional check valve to keep the water in the two barrels, not separating them, would that be effective?

Silence

Re: my first aph/tilted PC?

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central, mysterio.

A 45 degree angle could work and might reduce turbulence a little bit. But what happens if you tilt the gun back nearly that amount in order to get a long, arcing shot. If you only used a 45 degree elbow for the pressure chambers, those tanks would then be almost horizontal and might let some air out. If that makes sense.

Could you explain what you were thinking of regarding two PC's? I'm a little confused right now.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:54 pm

An intermediate recline could work, eg about 30 degrees from vertical.

But really, the best idea to increase APH efficiency will be to increase bend radius. Swept tees exist, but not I think in pressure rated PVC. They can be had quite easily in copper.

The most efficient option would probably be an upright or modestly recline PC, then a gently bending pipe to the valve and nozzle. The obvious choices for pipe are copper or hose, though the latter needs external support. The inlet is optimally a seperate hole in the PC, but perhaps more practically a tee before the valve.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 am

@silence
i see what you mean. but im pretty sure i wont need to arc it 45 degrees. and my 2 PC idea was to have 2 PC's, one behind the other. both tilted at 45 degrees, using the appropriate piping, and a check valve to keep the water from pooling near the back of the gun, instead of the PC's. i was wondering whether or not it would be effective as the water has to travel upwards two times.

@cantab
that sounds like a good idea, but as a first-time builder, i think ill stick to pvc.

also, i was thinking of using a waterzooka as a pump, minus the nozzle. and the homemade laminar flow nozzle as the nozzle.
Last edited by mysterio on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clicked enter too fast

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Where is this check valve you speak of going? I'm not sure you need it.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Apparently it is going behind the PC's, between them and the pump. That would be one of the two that you need, and the other would be between your reservoir and your pump.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm

@zeda.beta
well, it was those two plus another one closer to the PC's right next to the one already there, because to tilt them at a 45 degree angle the pipe has to move the water upwards. My friend has a scanner, and i should post a rough schematic soon

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Why would you put one next to the one already there? Post the diagram soon so that we can all get on the right page.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm

it should be up later tonight. anyways, i mean to put it there to stop gravity from leaking all the water from the PC back into the pipes next to the necessary check valve.

or, i could use this instead of this complicated assembly, but it only comes in schedule 80

heres the schematic (really rough)
Last edited by mysterio on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:12 am

The second check valve right there isn't neccessary, because the first one only lets the water into the pc's, and not out.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 am

oh, ok then. that solves that problem. and i found some flexible pvc piping, so im either gonna use that or the original design, plus a laminar flow nozzle (homemade)

now to go shopping for parts.

EDIT: i just had the weirdest idea. if i attached a check valve leading to nothing right next to my onboard reservoir, facing the same way (like as if i was gong to add another reservoir but stopped after the valve) would that stop the need for priming of the gun. (pumping in air first)
Last edited by mysterio on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm

No, an air intake valve will just make things not work very well at all.
Arsenal:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:05 pm

ohhhh. okay. thanks for the help. I think ill stick with the original aph design, with taller PC's, and alarger onboard reservoir (shoulder mounted)