Trigger system

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
StormGlorious

Trigger system

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Inspired by JLspacemarine, I have commenced construction on a CPH homemade. Upon thinking over the design in my head, I've decided to try and make a trigger system this time round. However there are various options out there.....
I was basically planning to copy the BBT water warriors system and using a BICYCLE BRAKE LEVER!!! :eek: as the trigger.
Has anyone tried this before? More info when I progress further. :cool:

Storm,
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

SSCBen

Re: Trigger system

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:17 pm

A bike break lever sounds like it should work well. You might need to put a pulley or a guide somewhere for the wire but aside from that the trigger should work fine.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 pm

You may need to reattach the wire to the bottom of the lever. Brake levers don't move much as it is, the default setup moves the wire a short distance with a lot of force. That probably won't work well with a valve, at least if you want it to slide a good distance.

If you're using a wire, I honestly just recommend a small ball valve. You'll get maximum flow with little trouble.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 pm

I thought I posted here before...
If you're getting issues with the wire not moving enough, you could use a compound pulley system to increase the distance moved (at the cost of requiring a more forceful trigger pull, but since there's leverage there anyway that may not be a problem).

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:46 pm

The simplest way to decrease pull distance would be to change where the wire will pull on the torque arm. Pulleys would work too but it'd involve more parts. As cantab said though you'd be trading distance for force.

This reminds me to post a new simple pull valve idea I had. Drenchenator said he'd make an animation but I don't know if he did.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 am

The bike lever that I have can move quite a large distance, as it is. Theoretically combined with a pulley this system should work well. Thanks for the ideas.

Storm,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 am

Fantastic, just what the doctor ordered. :D

Another, homemade to our arsenal. When you told me that you might be able to bike brake lever as trigger, I liked the idea. It's a lot stronger and your finger doesn't get tired from firing all day. :D

So, what are you planning to call this weapon?
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Ben, I understand a custom torque arm with a wire hole near the fulcrum would work. The problem is that the tolerances need to be very tight. When the wire itself only moves a few millimeters, drilling the hole just one millimeter off could be a problem. It's not too bad though.

Don't let that discourage you...just make sure, if you do create a custom torque arm, that you measure the distances and don't eyeball them. Unless you plan to attach a wire to the end of the trigger lever anyway.
Authundir wrote:Fantastic, just what the doctor ordered. :D
Lime in the coconut, eh?

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:17 pm

I plan to try this, purely as an experiment and if it works really well then that is a bonus.
Thanks again for all advice, keep it coming!

Storm

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 am

I was thinking of using a brake lever. If it was in my budget, I probably would.