C02 Water Gun?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Xoth

Post by Xoth » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:33 pm

My friend bought an air pistol a while back, but it turned out to be a dud. He got an idea today, and he has already started on it. He took apart the pistol, and has taken out the C02 parts necessary to power the gun. He came up with the idea that if he was to get some PVC tubing and other stuff, he could make a C02 pressurized water cannon. I figure, if he was to hook up multiple C02 tanks, and made a PVC capsule similar to the ones you guys make, he could store the pressure. He could also make a backpack to hold his water. Problem is, is it really possible? Is it too dangerous, or is there something that will keep him from doing it?

EDIT: My friend is currently making the gun! He actually doesn't need a ball valve or an air tank to hold air, mainly because it shoots only when the presses a button! There is a large X on the pic, which stands for the 2 liter pop bottle he will use for a resevoir. The large black object is the C02 Tank(but he made it way too big).

sorry, it won't show his design for the gun. He is trying to make a simpler version of it, so this might not be the right design. If he makes it, I'll post pictures of it.

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Eeh, I'm too lazy to figure out how your friend is going to do this.

Pics, Please! :D Sounds cool(if he can pull it off), though.

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Originally posted by vaporizer28@Mar 2 2005, 03:56 PM
Eeh, I'm too lazy to figure out how your friend is going to do this.

Pics, Please! :D Sounds cool(if he can pull it off), though.
[snapback]22791[/snapback]

He doesn't have any pics, he hasn't started on anything but taking apart the pistol(he doesn't have the necessary parts&#33 ;)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:48 pm

It has been decided in the past that CO2 powered water guns wouldn't be worth the price. They've been done before, on several occasions actually.

The UberSoaker was a recent CO2 powered water gun. Please check out the topic and link in the topic for more information.

Andrew Mommsen's CO2 powered water gun back in 2001 was the earliest known CO2 powered design, and it won a contest for it's creativity.

The problem with CO2 designs compared to air pressure designs is cost. CO2 obviously costs far more than air available from an air compressor. Of course, a good air compressor will cost more than CO2, but in the long run an air compressor is cheaper. Air powered water guns also can run off fairly cheap air pumps, so at least in my opinion, air pressure is superior to CO2.

Larger CO2 tanks cost far more than the little 12 ounce ones. 12 ounces of CO2 is far too little for more than a battle or two, compared to a virtually infinite supply of air.

I believe this project would be best not made. I personally feel you'll be wasting your money, especially in the long run.

Xray

Post by Xray » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:16 pm

I have tried a C02 soaker before, you will use far too much C02 than you have/can afford. I agree with Doom on this one, air pressure is superior.

Get a small air compressor - I have one that runs on 12V, and has been used to pressure pop-bottle rockets to over 140PSI. It weighs about a pound.

BTW, When I tried it I was using a 9oz refillable tank. Good luck...