Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Super Soaker Central > News
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1
Default SSC to become ad-free

I no longer need the money to keep SSC floating, so I will slowly remove the ads over the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for putting up with them for so long. :-P

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
C-A_99
Administrator

UserID: 809
Default Re: SSC to become ad-free

One of the sites I frequent asks for donations AND puts quite a few ads around. Either the guy has a horrible hosting plan or is making a hefty sum from it, haha. Actually, they run their own server I believe, and that's probably where the ridiculous costs come from.

Personally, I don't care about ads as long as they're not seizure-inducing banners, pop-ups, or background links (*ahem CollegeHumor) that try to play on people accidently clicking on the ad when they intend to select the browsing window. I deal with CollegeHumor ads by click-spamming them so they (hopefully) don't get paid.

As for SSC, I disabled my ad blocker and would make a legit click once in a while to help out. =)

BTW, did you get the posts on the community war? You started the idea last summer but weren't able to follow through, so this year, me, M4, and SEAL are arranging it. Much of the discussion has moved to iSn but they link back and forth.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

We barely made any money in the winter, but the ads paid for our hosting and more during the summer.

All ads have been removed. If you notice any ads, refresh the page to make sure you are not loading cached content, and if the ads persist, let me know about it. Let me know what page you were on and where the ads are.

I'll check out the community war thread over the next few days. Thanks.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
wetmonkey442
Retired Moderator

UserID: 47

I ended up disabling adblock just in time to catch a few ads before they left. I'm glad everyone now gets the chance to experience this website like I have for the past few years.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
atvan

UserID: 2462

I never really noticed the adds, but it's nice that you got a source of money. Get a job?
atvan is offline   Reply With Quote