Where can I get a mauler valve?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
martianshark

Where can I get a mauler valve?

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:41 am

For a water gun I'm making, I need a mauler valve or some other kind of valve that opens quickly. Where can I get one?

SSCBen

Re: Where can I get a mauler valve?

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 am

Why do you need a fast opening valve for a water gun? Are you actuating something like an air cylinder?

You can get Mauler valves from here: http://www.launchpotatoes.com/index.php ... oductId=26

You also could make your own piston valve if necessary. Read here if interested: http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... ston_valve

As I've mentioned though, I can't see a situation where a valve like this is necessary. If you want something to actuate fast, look for a small QEV from McMaster-Carr. If you want to shoot water through the valve, don't use an air piloted valve as they're not meant for that and would actually be bad for performance.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:00 am

An air cylinder? Is that a chamber full of pressurized air? If it is, than yes.

...I was hoping I could get one at a store, but maybe I'll just use a ball valve with a torque arm. It should be good enough.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Air cylinders are actuators. They're basically a piston-cylinder assembly. In the future, if you don't know a word, look it up.

Are you shooting water? If so, a piston valve would reduce your performance. These valves are really only for projectile guns.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Yes, I'm shooting water, but I'm trying to make an unusual water gun that forces the water out with the air chamber.

Of course, you'll have to tilt it up for it to work... unless there's a way to connect two valves so that they open at the same time.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:53 pm

When I started to work on plans for converting my marshmallow musket into a water gun, I found that the water would not all accelerate out of the barrel, and that once it did, the air would rush past and the water would fall onto the ground just feet from where it started. You might have better luck with pumping air and water into the pc, then releasing it as a riot blast. If not, then you still have a great WBL. (BTW, the marshmallow musket ended up becoming a nerf gun :D )
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:14 pm

It worked for me - at least the smaller model that I made of it did. Are you sure you were tilting it up enough so that the valve was completely underwater?

I understand how it became a nerf gun. Some of my failiure water guns turned out to be killer marshmallow guns/nerf guns.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

From what I've read, guns like that are dangerous. There seems to be some sort of fluid hammer effect here. The pressure spikes and something could fracture. I don't suggest trying it, especially with a fast valve. (I'm sure someone will post a link to a time that this happened... I would find one but I don't have time. I know it happened to DX.)

Try something like Supercannon II if you want high power and safety.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

So what if I just used a ball valve? Would it be safe then? What do you mean by dangerous? Could it explode or something?

And I can't build something like Supercannon II. It needs to be appropriate for a water fight.

adronl

Post by adronl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 am

A SC doesn't have to be fired at a pressure that would be dangerous to people being fired upon

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm

As far as I remember, DX used a ball valve Douchenator style WBL with a barrel full of water and the barrel fractured. I recall reading of similar accidents at a spud gun forum. If you did this with a fast opening valve, it sounds like a surefire recipe for disaster. If there was a failure, you better hope only the barrel would fail. If the pressure chamber or valve fails you should expect PVC shrapnel; not a pleasant thought really.

Anyway, a barrel full of water is fairly heavy, so assuming that the gun itself is safe, do you want to be hit by several pounds of anything? I think the answer is obviously no.

For a water fight, anything over 70X output or so is getting dangerous. Fire hoses can cause serious internal bruising and there's no reason why a water gun couldn't do the same. I suggest something like an APH if you want a riot blast in a water war. If you just want to make a big splash, this wouldn't be the right design either as I've already explained.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:17 pm

The current problem with SCs right now is their practicality. True they could be fired at lower pressure, but it's really the refill time, difficulty to refill, and also the high pressure (doesn't matter in this scenario). And you get one shot that lasts about a second (but this might be changed through lower pressure). SCs aren't really sutable for WWs 'cause of these reasons.

Now in the un-safe-ness of this design, the reason this is unsafe is because, as the water is pushed out, it doesn't only go straight but also outwards pushing the pipe. This injures the pipe, and can even blow it into a thousand pieces!

@martianshark: Just make an APH or CPH with a big PC and put it on a high nozzle setting (10x or more). This will have both high performance and output capabilities. The design you have now is no good. :-(
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:03 am

Um... just so you know I'm not using a fast-opening valve or high pressure. I'm using an ordinary ball valve and about 80 psi. Is it safe now? What if I replaced the barral with an abs one? Would it be safe then?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Why is it necessary to use a design known to create pressure spikes? ABS pipe fails safer than PVC, yes, but that won't stop it from failing. Bad things still can happen when ABS fails. I wouldn't feel comfortable using this design unless it was made of metal and designed to handle the stresses seen.

Ball valves don't help. DX used a ball valve as far as I remember.

If you want a dedicated gun like this, make something like Supercannon II but use lower pressure and a smaller orifice. Or just use an APH; they're plenty powerful as is on a riot blast.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 pm

I really don't mean to sound like a douche for advertising my thread here, but regarding the battle practicality of SC, I believe I have found a solution. Details available here

regarding the valve, here is a link to a very well made NERF homemade. It uses a unique valve, which may help you.