New rule regarding abuse of contact information

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

New rule regarding abuse of contact information

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

At the moment, we really have no rules. In the limited number of posts we have received recently, I feel that we are doing quite well. It seems the having rules to a certain extent promotes not following them and "rebelling".

However, one rule I feel is completely necessary is this: no random, bulk contacts about trades or water fights. At Nerf forums, I get several PMs and AIM messages every month about trading Nerf guns. These people don't know anything about me - they don't even know what Nerf guns I own!

This is as good as bulk email and spam and I simply won't tolerate it. Simply by the nature of the message, I won't trade. You usually can tell that someone is just contacting a massive amount of people if they ask what water guns you have or are willing to trade.

Please report people to me if they contact you about trading in this manner and you did not say in your profile/signature that you would like to receive these messages (I may add a special profile field). These people will be handled accordingly...

Also, I will tolerate if someone contacts people who may be local to them based upon where they reportedly live. I also have received several messages about going to Nerf wars in Maryland or DC, and they were actually considered by myself. However, if someone contacts huge amount of people without and filtering of sorts, I will not tolerate them.

Again, please let me know if you receive these sorts of messages. I can only assume that people don't send messages of this type to the administrator for obvious reasons.
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:37 am

Does asking people what guns they have on AIM in a friendly chat-ish manner count? Cause I've done that many times just to compare other arsenals to my own...although sometimes if they have a soaker I might be interested in I ask if they are selling...

EDIT: have I been put on the list of newsletter people yet?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:06 am

I mostly mean asking a large amount of people, regardless of what. If you're nice and not looking to make a profit in some way I should be fine with it.

You've been upgraded too.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks, but I can't seem to figure out where on the forums the newsletter part is...